Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Weave

I have both read the book and seen the film. I really enjoyed the book even though some of the imagery was a bit on the disturbing side (especially pertaining to Eli). The film I thought was good, but I ended up having to explain some of the relationships to my husband. Interestingly enough the screenplay was written by the author of the book so I was surprised at some of the omissions in the film.

As for the new Hollywood remake, I don't think I will be watching it. Although it could prove to be interesting to see another take on the novel, but more than likely I wont enjoy the changes to the story.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the book last year while working away from home. I finished it in two nightshifts! I found it to be an original and beautifully written story.

I managed to find the film version showing in an Art House cinema in Sheffield earlier this year. As is usually the case I preferred the book but still thought the film excellent.

Those viewers of the film that found elements of the work unsettling should avoid Antichrist at all costs!!:lol:

I've recently finished reading Handling the Undead by the same author and though good, I believe Let the Right One In to be in a league above.

I have (literally) just finished this and I though it was fantastic! I found it quite different to your usual horror book, it seemed to have much more depth and it wasn't just a case of black and white good vs evil (as is the case with a lot of horror books). I also thought the characterisation was very good, and I was impressed by how the author managed to make me care about characters that are actually quite scary! I also thought the ending was just right!

There are a few bits in the book that I found very scary and disturbing.

I though the part when Virginia was turning into a vampire was very creepy but brilliantly written, and the part where Tommy was locked in the basement with the undead Hakan was truly scary!

In fact I think I'll have to give the film a miss because I think it would scare me too much (I'm not good with horror films!) :eek2:

In fact I think I'll have to give the film a miss because I think it would scare me too much (I'm not good with horror films!)

I wouldn't worry, the original film is quite subtle; there is only one scene which scared me (

the one where you learn what happens to Eli if she goes into someone's house without being invited in first

), for the rest it was just a good story well told.

I wouldn't worry, the original film is quite subtle; there is only one scene which scared me (

the one where you learn what happens to Eli if she goes into someone's house without being invited in first

), for the rest it was just a good story well told.

Yes, I agree with that. The film isn't too bad. I loved the bit you have highlighted BookJumper. I was really looking forward to how they showed it :eek2:

I loved the bit you have highlighted BookJumper. I was really looking forward to how they showed it
I loved it too, thought it was really well done, but it made me jump out of my skin :eek2: as up until then things had been fairly subdued!

I really want to read the book but I've treated myself to a rather in-depth book vs film article to find out just how much it would disturb me and it turns out... probably quite a lot (I don't like the sound of the Hakan bits at all...) ;)!

• 6 months later...

Being a Media student I have had to watch a many of films and one day I came across a Swedish film called Let The Right One In. It was only till after the film that I realised that this was a book I had seen once in the library and ran out to get it.

Here is the synopsis:

Oskar and Eli. In very different ways, they were both victims. Which is why, against the odds, they became friends. And how they came to depend on one another, for life itself. Oskar is a 12 year old boy living with his mother on a dreary housing estate at the city's edge. He dreams about his absentee father, gets bullied at school, and wets himself when he's frightened. Eli is the young girl who moves in next door. She doesn't go to school and never leaves the flat by day. She is a 200 year old vampire, forever frozen in childhood, and condemned to live on a diet of fresh blood. John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel is a unique and brilliant fusion of social novel and vampire legend, a deeply moving fable about rejection, friendship and loyalty.

The film went on to win several awards and was told to be the best vampire film ever and there is going to be an American version called Let Me In released on October 1st (which will destroy it in my opinion). What are your comments on this book?

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

Being a Media student I have had to watch a many of films and one day I came across a Swedish film called Let The Right One In. It was only till after the film that I realised that this was a book I had seen once in the library and ran out to get it.

Here is the synopsis:

Oskar and Eli. In very different ways, they were both victims. Which is why, against the odds, they became friends. And how they came to depend on one another, for life itself. Oskar is a 12 year old boy living with his mother on a dreary housing estate at the city's edge. He dreams about his absentee father, gets bullied at school, and wets himself when he's frightened. Eli is the young girl who moves in next door. She doesn't go to school and never leaves the flat by day. She is a 200 year old vampire, forever frozen in childhood, and condemned to live on a diet of fresh blood. John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel is a unique and brilliant fusion of social novel and vampire legend, a deeply moving fable about rejection, friendship and loyalty.

The film went on to win several awards and was told to be the best vampire film ever and there is going to be an American version called Let Me In released on October 1st (which will destroy it in my opinion). What are your comments on this book?

Hi Christie, how are you?

I adored the book and I loved the film, it was so well done. I am dreading the American version of the film because I seriously do not know what they are thinking, well I do, money but the original movie does not need a american counterpart, its great in itself.

:D

Yes I completly agree Weave! My media lecturer gets really annoyed on this subject because he feels that the only reason that they are making an American re-make is the fact that they can't be bothered to read the subtitles and I feel exactly the same. Especially when the Swedish one took so much time picking the perfect cast etc.. Oskar took a whole year to find!

Edited by Christie

I would add to the so-called reasons for the American remake the fact that it was probably felt that the original contained far too little blood & gore to be marketed as horror... :D!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I completly agree Weave! My media lecturer gets really annoyed on this subject because he feels that the only reason that they are making an American re-make is the fact that they can't be bothered to read the subtitles and I feel exactly the same. Especially when the Swedish one took so much time picking the perfect cast etc.. Oskar took a whole year to find!

Thanks Christie, it is so frustrating, and I agree Bookjumper, of course it must have blood and gore to be horror:roll::smile2:

Some people just need to be tied down Clockwork Orange-style and be exposed to all of Cristopher Lee's Hammer Dracula films in rapid succession, that they might learn that if the acting and atmosphere are good enough, all you need to see is hardly anything at all to have nightmares for a week.

Some people just need to be tied down Clockwork Orange-style and be exposed to all of Cristopher Lee's Hammer Dracula films in rapid succession, that they might learn that if the acting and atmosphere are good enough, all you need to see is hardly anything at all to have nightmares for a week.

Yes indeed Bookjumper, great point (as always), I do enjoy horror but not in your face horror, its the idea of what is out there that I enjoy :smile2:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finally gonna start this tonight I think. I've seen the movie, and found it dull and uneventful, hinting at a great concept but suffering from poor execution. I'm glad that way back when I found the movie has nothing on the book, and goes into more depth and to more extremes than are explicitly shown in the film - the book should be excellent :)

• 2 weeks later...

I started this only a couple of days ago, and I'm about 200 pages into it.

I never knew

Eli is the Aramaic word for God. I assumed it was a Swedish name. (I had never heard "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani" before.) I don't know if it will become relevant or be explained in any way later on, but if it is/does, the fact that the movie didn't mention it and that the American remake will name the girl Abby is terrible.

I started this only a couple of days ago, and I'm about 200 pages into it.

I never knew

Eli is the Aramaic word for God. I assumed it was a Swedish name. (I had never heard "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani" before.) I don't know if it will become relevant or be explained in any way later on, but if it is/does, the fact that the movie didn't mention it and that the American remake will name the girl Abby is terrible.

Yip :D and its definitely related in some way Noll, I hope you enjoy the rest of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had this and the follow up in my amazon basket for so long and have been putting off buying it, as soon as I get paid I'm getting it this time! I LOVED the film and hopefully the book will be as good if not better. The disturbing bits don't scare me off, pretty much nothing disturbs me that much!

It's a good book. I personally didn't find it disturbing at all, and I found the film quite dull. Luckily, there's a LOT more substance in the book, and you get a much better idea about Eli's past. I started faltering towards the end, because it's just SUCH a depressing book, but I stuck with it and it's very worthwhile. Very very good book.

• 2 weeks later...

Let The Right One In is an excellent read. It is very dark and disturbing at times. I like books like this. Hakan and his paedophile behaviour towards children is a particularly disturbing aspect. You've also got the blood kiss between Oskar and Eli, the violent killing scenes and the bullies. This is a lot more than simply a vampire film. It is a horror/thriller but also generically a coming of age film that sees Oskar and Eli attempt to find their own identity. Strong messages are portrayed on bullying as well. John Linqvist is obviously a naturally talented author who is obviously writing from the back of his heart about things he feels strongly about. The books is light years better than the film that isn't anywhere near as graphic or as in depth as the novel. It's still good which further emphasises the quality of this novel. It deserves way more recognition than the overrated, mainstream Twilight books. I would recommend it to anyone who has the pleasure to come across it.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this book. It's incredibly dark landscape the author created, all ice, tower blocks and underpasses. Loved it! Has anybody read his next book, Bringing in the Dead I think it's called?

HI,

It's called Handling The Undead and I've read it! :)

• 7 months later...

I really enjoyed this book - Oskar is such a sweet kid and I love his friendship with Eli.

I did make the mistake of watching the film straight afterwards though which I shouldn't have - I should have waited a while as I ruined my enjoyment of the film by being so critical of it.