Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Weave

Title of book: Let the Right One in

Name of author: John Ajvide Lindqvist

Paperback: 480 pages

ISBN-10: 1847248489

ISBN-13: 978-1847248480

Synopsis ~

Oskar and Eli. In very different ways, they were both victims. Which is why, against the odds, they became friends. And how they came to depend on one another, for life itself. Oskar is a 12 year old boy living with his mother on a dreary housing estate at the city's edge. He dreams about his absentee father, gets bullied at school, and wets himself when he's frightened. Eli is the young girl who moves in next door. She doesn't go to school and never leaves the flat by day. She is a 200 year old vampire, forever frozen in childhood, and condemned to live on a diet of fresh blood. John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel is a unique and brilliant fusion of social novel and vampire legend, a deeply moving fable about rejection, friendship and loyalty.

I am a fan of vampire genre and ‘Let the right one in’ is a vampire tale but with a whole new take on the genre.

‘Let the right one in’ (named after the Morrissey song ‘Let the Right One Slip In’) is a brilliantly well written book, John Ajvide Lindqvist has created two characters in Oskar and Eli who deserve good things in their lives but due to certain circumstances have not had good lives, they finally find it in each other with their friendship.

The main story is about Oskar and Eli, with the underlying tale of Eli’s vampirism and the lengths she must go to, to survive, the individual she depends on to her help her and the ripple effect it causes, suddenly the residents of a bleak housing scheme in Stockholm are living in fear.

Oskar and Eli are both lonely in their own way, Oskar by the constant bullying he receives at school, trying to work out his place in life and Eli still struggling to deal with her past and what she is now, in each other they find a friend and the main feelings of the book are shown, their loyalty and friendship to each other.

As I said, the book is brilliantly written, you feel the pain that Oskar and Eli go through, I found myself becoming more and more protective of them both, the isolation of their environment is described brilliantly, you feel the bleakness, the cold weather.

If you enjoy reading vampire genre books, I recommend ‘Let the right one in’ but read it with an open mind, there is gruesome parts, parts that will make you feel uncomfortable but they are written in such a way, that you are able to read on, to finish the journey with Oskar and Eli.

I know I will re~read ‘Let the right one in’.

Rating: 10/10

518rV5GIBJL_SS500_.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fantastic, can't wait to get this and read it myself! :lol: So glad you enjoyed it x

It was fantastic Lexie, really well written, I did not want it to end :lol:

It's nice to see a positive review, I don't know anyone else who *really* liked it :lol:

I feel more encouraged about reading it now.

That is good to know Roxi, its a book that deserve a chance I think :lol:

On one hand this sounds really interesting, on the other hand... would the disturbing bits disturb me, do you think? Please advise.

They might Bookjumper, they are not overly disturbing but they are still disturbing.

BRILLIANT book! I loved it and I couldn't put it down.

There were a few parts that I found very disturbing though and I wouldn't recommend it to young readers or people that are particularly sensitive.

It scared me too and I found myself thinking about it long after I had finished :lol: I restricted myself to reading it in broad daylight :lol:

BRILLIANT book! I loved it and I couldn't put it down.

There were a few parts that I found very disturbing though and I wouldn't recommend it to young readers or people that are particularly sensitive.

It scared me too and I found myself thinking about it long after I had finished :lol: I restricted myself to reading it in broad daylight :D

I am glad you enjoyed it MuggleMagic, it is a book that stays with you and you are right, its not for young or sensitive readers. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

i have not read this book but i have seen the movie and thought it was just alright, nothing special. I'll probably read this book sometime in my life and it'll probably change my opinion about Let the right one in completely due to pretty good reviews =D

I've just seen the film and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm happy to report that it didn't disturb me in the slightest so unless they've missed huge chunks of book out all should be good on that front, too.

I've just seen the film and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm happy to report that it didn't disturb me in the slightest so unless they've missed huge chunks of book out all should be good on that front, too.

I heard the film is very true to the movie, so it should be okay (I know I am just repeating what you said, sorry) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It scared me too and I found myself thinking about it long after I had finished :D I restricted myself to reading it in broad daylight :D

I read this book a few months ago now and really didn't know what to make of it after I'd finished. There were parts I loved and parts that really disturbed me (and I'm not usually sensitive to that sort of thing) With time to reflect I think it's probably one of the best books I've ever read and I'll definitely give it a re-read in the future.

I found the growing friendship between Oskar and Eli so endearing and I totally agree with Mugglemagic that it leaves you thinking about it for quite some time after reading. I still do!

I liked Oskar and Eli's friendship, it was lovely to read, there was some unsettling parts,

especially with H

ooo I never really thought of that when I was reading it but that would have been bad.

I felt soooo sorry for Oskar throughout the book :irked:

Oh me too MuggleMagic, he was such a lonely wee soul :D