The Philosopher's Apprentice by James Morrow

nippysweetie_1

I have not read this yet but I intend to; the only reason I didn't buy it is that the copy they were trying to sell me in the Book Warehouse was quite crummy and not worth even the discounted price, really. What is it exactly that's troubling you? Is the philosophical side getting in the way of clear narrative, or...?

Blurb from Amazon:

After crashing and burning during his PhD viva, Mason Ambrose is offered a large amount of money to go to a mysterious tropical island - Isla de Sangre. His employer is wealthy recluse Edwina Sabachtani whose daughter has supposedly lost her sense of right and wrong after a diving accident. Mason is to use his knowledge as a philosopher to instil a conscience, a moral compass in the child. Mason happily instructs her in schools of thought, from the stoics to the epicureans, but it is when he introduces Londa to the Beatitudes that the seeds of a rampaging sense of justice are sown. Venturing from the confines of the island, Londa sets out to create a world that is more just. But when she takes her crusade too far, kidnapping a boat full of wealthy industrialists, Mason realises he must take desperate measures...

I've read The Last Witchfinder by this chap. Really excellent. I'm dead pleased that there's another novel of his out. I'm going to purchase this asap. :lol:

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was just thinking about this book and I have to say I really liked it. I thought it was cleverly written, suspenseful, thought-provoking and a book I definitely won't forget reading. I'd recommend it to anyone. I don't think the blurb does justice to how intricate the plot actually is.