Your first job

Weave

Charm so what if you do, it seems like you're good at it! ;)

Thanks! :D ..... I think ;)

:smile2:

I'm impressed/ surprised with how young you were when you all had your first 'real' jobs...There's nothing like paper rounds in France. Apart from the casual babysitting or helping your parents out if they have a shop, there's nothing much for summer/ evening jobs until you are 18.

Are you kidding? I've been trying to get my 16yr old son out to work part-time for the last two years! :(

Are you kidding? I've been trying to get my 16yr old son out to work part-time for the last two years! :D

haha, yes we are protected against evil parents wanting to put us to work ;) At what age can you legally have a job in the uk? In France it's 16, but as I said most employers won't consider you anyway until you are 18.

haha, yes we are protected against evil parents wanting to put us to work ;) At what age can you legally have a job in the uk? In France it's 16, but as I said most employers won't consider you anyway until you are 18.

I think .. and don't quote me... its 13, and that's only for a few hours on a Saturday or a paper round, something like that and never late at night. It helps give the kids a bit of pocket money and teaches them how you need to work to earn, mine still need to learn that lesson! :D

That's an impressive variety of jobs, Sara! They sound very interesting.

The legal working age here is 14 and 9 months the last time I checked.

18 sounds pretty old to me! Do they do that to encourage more kids to stay in school?

I think .. and don't quote me... its 13, and that's only for a few hours on a Saturday or a paper round, something like that and never late at night. It helps give the kids a bit of pocket money and teaches them how you need to work to earn, mine still need to learn that lesson! :D

That does sound very reasonable... and I would have loved to get a small summer/ We job at that time. I kept putting adds in my neighbours' mailboxes offering to do odd jobs such as babysitting, heping with homework, painting the garden shed... It didn't work very well as all the teenagers were doing the same. :smile2:

I hope you can get your kids out there Charm! Just wait until they have a project of their own, they'll be begging for ways to finance it :(

That's an impressive variety of jobs, Sara! They sound very interesting.

The legal working age here is 14 and 9 months the last time I checked.

18 sounds pretty old to me! Do they do that to encourage more kids to stay in school?

Well, as I said the legal age is 16 and yes it's like that because school is compulsory until that age. I guess the difference is we don't have that tradition of odd little jobs for a few hours a week... the paper for example arrives through post, or profesional delivery services.

Once you are 16 you can leave school and work, or work during the holidays... But really the employers prefer people who are 18 and therefore 'fully responsible'. I think there are special restrictions on what you can do/ how long you can work at 16 and as a lot of small jobs would involve working in a shop, dealing with cash, they don't want someone who isn't a legal adult.

The bottom line really is that there aren't any tiny jobs tailored to teenagers so they are in competition with all the students or unqualified adults looking for part time jobs... obviously they don't stand a chance ;)

That said, there are always exceptions of course: if you've left the main schooling system and are following a profesional qualification involving a part time aprenticeship for example, or if you have the 'animator's diploma' allowing you to work with children in holiday camps (those always need more people), or if you are lucky/ know someone...

I was thinking the other day that in all of my career I have never worked in a modern building, I have always ended up working in old buildings with loads of problems and one that had Sick Building Syndrome!

I was thinking the other day that in all of my career I have never worked in a modern building, I have always ended up working in old buildings with loads of problems and one that had Sick Building Syndrome!

Sick Building Syndrome - yuck! :lol:

I think I've mostly worked in old places too. It's an old building I work in at the moment and I think unfortuantely the new lighting they have put in is a trigger for my migraines. :lol:

Sick Building Syndrome - yuck! :lol:

I think I've mostly worked in old places too. It's an old building I work in at the moment and I think unfortuantely the new lighting they have put in is a trigger for my migraines. :D

Oh not that is not nice Loopyloo, I hope you are okay :lol:

• 1 month later...

My first job was my Saturday job I worked partime in a supermarket but my first proper job was as the Office Junior in a building society back in 1980 dont know if they have Juniors now though lol

Errm my first job was working as a glass collector on busy weekends and parties when i was about 16 in a pub, which was a laugh and was cash in hand so I didn't mind that! I haven't actually got a career at the moment(on my way to getting one :D ) but it didn't help to make my choice, it was just a bit of money in my pocket for a while!

• 2 weeks later...

My first job was working as a waitress during the holidays and at weekends in a hotel owned by friends of my parents. I wasn't very good and I still remember to this day spilling gravy on an old man celebrating his 90th birthday :blush:

When I was 15 I had a school holiday baby sitting job for my parents' friends. They had two sons and I had to sit in the house so that they could go in and out without worrying about losing the key etc. I would spend the day watching telly and got into Take the High Road - I loved that soap! :friends0:

• 6 months later...