Your first job

Weave

My first job was babysitting, which I used to do every saturday night from when I was 13 til 17. It was great experience for me :friends0: My first job where I was on a payroll was the summer before last when I worked as a receptionist at a security firm in the area. I absolutely loved it :lol: I would still be there now if it wasn't for uni but I had to quit. Since then I haven't worked but hoping to do some volunteer work through this year.

My first job was computer engineer in a local computer shop, easy money stress free days, I wish I still had that job. Making money for doing windows installs and fitting the occasional bit of hardware. Oh how I miss it.

My first job was at McDonald's, when I was 15. I worked there for 2 and a quarter years and mostly hated it. The managers were mean but my co-workers were all pretty cool.

What did the job teach me? That most people are morons, and that the customer is NOT always right. It taught me that people are incredibly rude and impatient and forget that there is a real human being with real feelings behind the counter, and not just a robot. It also taught me how lazy people are.

I did, however, come out of my shell a lot, through necessity. And I was determined not to get stuck working there, as my boss implied I would when I told him I had a job interview somewhere else. Luckily I got that job, and largely because of the fact I worked at Maccas - it is looked at very favourably by potential employers. And here I am to this day, 10 years later, in a line of work that couldn't be more different, thank goodness!

What did the job teach me? That most people are morons,

Good philosophy for life :friends0:

When i was 15 i got this terrible paper round, every day up at 6am and delivering a serious amount of papers which actually took me halfway around the town, the boss was a grouchy idiot and i only got

Most of my growing up I lived above my parent's music store, so naturally I worked there from about the age of 15-19. After that I worked there during the summers and on weekends while in college, and was still helping out every once in awhile until '97 when my dad passed away and we closed our doors.

We sold and repaired musical instruments and had teachers who gave lessons. I either worked at the cash register or next to my dad in the shop fixing the instruments. Although I'm not sure I would want to deal with the headache of owning my own business, it was my dad's dream and he loved being his own boss :D.

I was an industrious young un. I had two jobs - babysitting and working as a shelf stacker in the local sweet shop. I enjoyed both enormously.

I have had jobs working with children and many that involved sorting shelves out, so I guess a pattern was set! :D

My first job was working at a burger joint in my home town. It was called "Mr. Chips" & we made EVERYTHING from scratch. We ground our own beef for the burgers, made our own ice cream, battered our own fish, used home cut chips which we cut by the bucket every day. It was a really busy shop & one of my chores every shift was to grind & then season the beef to make into hamburgers, which I would have to shape into patties by the dozens on trays lined with greaseproof paper...........hmmm, maybe that's why I don't like beef!

What did it teach me? That I never wanted to work in a fast food restaurant ever again & that minimum wage jobs suck!

My first job was when I was 13 and I worked in a baker's shop on Saturdays and in the school holidays. I was very shy, so it was a bit of an ordeal at first, but it did give me a bit more confidence.

The best thing was that on closing on Saturdays, we got to take home all the unsold cream cakes that wouldn't keep until Monday! I have fond memories of cycling home with three boxes of cream cakes strapped to the back of my bike! Happy days! :D

After that, I did work in retail for many years, but have got out of it now, thank goodness.

When i was 15 i got this terrible paper round, every day up at 6am and delivering a serious amount of papers which actually took me halfway around the town, the boss was a grouchy idiot and i only got

Edited by chrysalis_stage

My first job was in a shop selling things for hosting parties - balloons were very popular, I remember, and people were picky about which one they wanted, too... I very much disliked that job. I was actually happy when they told me they really want someone who can work full time. I was studying at the time, so a full time job wasn't an option.

I should have learned that retail isn't for me...but... somehow I'm still stuck in retail...

I'm not particularly smart, am I? :D

My first proper job was working Sundays (and occasional Saturdays) in a dry cleaners. I started it on my 16th birthday and I saved every penny I made and put it into my college fund! I hated working there (my pay was

Edited by Kell

I really admire people who can do your job Joe - I work in a nursing home myself as a housekeeper, and much as I enjoy the work and love talking to the residents, I know I couldn't do your job.

My first job was working Saturdays on a pot stall on Preston outdoor market (chuffin freezing in winter!) then when the Co-op opened up I got a Saturday job there on the cake section, I loved putting the fresh cream in the cakes :D when I finished school I was taken on full time and then moved sections every few months until I'd learnt them all, I was then farmed out to the little Co-ops to cover holidays and sick leave etc. I loved it especially my co workers we used to have such a laugh.

After that, and when Kat was a little older I got a job as a doctors receptionist (and no I wasn't a dragon lol!) followed by 6 years as a bar maid, sorry person, another job I loved. I left there when we moved to Blackpool to help MIL run a hotel, that was hard work and long hours but the regulars who used to stay made it worth while. I now work as a civil servant, the job sucks but the people I work with are great.

In all my jobs I've been very lucky in that I've enjoyed them and also had brilliant colleagues.

My second job (after the dog walking), was delivering free newspapers, I hated it so much, I was chased by old people constantly, which was fair enough but I was only delivering a newspaper :D

My first job was when I was 14. I worked 4hrs on a Saturday in a health food and supplement shop. I loved it. I got to learn a lot about herbal remedies and homeopathy too (forgotten most of it now though :D). During the summer I would have worked longer hours and by the time I was 16 I was managing it when the owner wanted to go away on holiday herself. It was great, and I remember she paid me well too, compared to all my friends who were working in the newsagents or grocers.

After I left school I went on to college and then had various jobs before I decided I wanted to be a chef which I then trained for, again ending up managing the place ... hmmm ... do I sound controlling??? ;)

My first job was working in a sewing machine in Glasgow.

What I meant to say was that I worked in a sewing machine fatory when I left school.

Edited by Heather
This post was done in a rush.

My first real jobs were in the summer when I was 15. I worked as a gardener in the village cemetery, I kept the grass short and tidy, and some people pay the church to take care of their relative's grave, plant flowers and water the flowers and keep the place looking nice. So I did that. It was a good job since I could make my own timetable and I was the only one working in that cemetary (I said it was small..). I guess the "real" gardener checked once in a while to see if I was doing my job (he had several bigger cemetaries to take care of), but I never saw him other than once early in the summer when he delivered the flowers.

And the same summer I was assistant teacher in a swimming school for children. I'm no expert swimmer, but that was the proper teacher's job, I kept the children active and playing when they weren't in the water. It's always a lot of children, and they are divided into smaller groups according to how good swimmers they are.

I did both of those jobs the next summer too. Then, when I was 17, I worked in a bakery, and for the next two summers I was an assistant on an archeological excavation.

I don't do anything remotely like these jobs now.

I'm impressed/ surprised with how young you were when you all had your first 'real' jobs...There's nothing like paper rounds in France. Apart from the casual babysitting or helping your parents out if they have a shop, there's nothing much for summer/ evening jobs until you are 18.