Your first job

Weave

Hello,

How are you ALL?

My question is, what was your first job?, did you enjoy it? and did it lead to your current career?

Im pretty good thanks Weave..smiley-happy019.gif

My first job was at 15 straight out of hi-school as a sewing machinist for a sportswear manufacturer.I had a few other sewing jobs after that too.I HATED it after awhile as it was so boring doing the same things over and over again..:smile2:

My first job was packing games in a factory on 3 shifts, days evenings and nights. I was 17 and was looking for summer work before college. Previously i had got money from doing odd jobs around the house or else pocket money, and even that only came to a few pounds so when i was in the induction training room at the first day of my job and i heard the words "Average take home pay will be around the 290pound mark", I had a silent stroke! Inside, i was thinking "what the hell will i do with ALL that money?"

First thing i treated myself to was a big CD player :smile2:

My first job is the same job I'm in now, I've been there almost 20 years. I work as a dental nurse in a very busy practice in our town centre.

Lately I've been thinking about what I'd like to do once I leave there - the dentist I work for will be retiring in a few years and because I've never been for any interviews or made up a CV or anything the thought of leaving terrifies me! :smile2:

I am fine thank you a little tired. My first job was a paper round when I was like 14, I have like 30 customers loved it except for during my first week when I was collecting my paper money my customers dog attacked me *(twas scary)*

My question is, what was your first job?, did you enjoy it? and did it lead to your current career?

My very first job was as a Saturday girl in Greggs at the Metro Centre. I worked four hours a week at

My first "real" job was as a teacher. I did it for five years...

But many years before that I used to "work" in a bookstore during school breaks... of course I would spend more time looking for books for me than really working but... :D

• 2 months later...

My first job was a ski instructor. I mostly taught little kids how to ski - I'd been doing it since i was 2 years old and a lot of my family work/worked there so it was an easy in.

Def. will not be my career, five years was enough.

• 2 years later...

My first 'job' was doing the washing up in a pub on Sundays. It only lasted about 8 months, and the pay was like £2 and hour :P

I've just been offered a job as a care assistant. I can't say that washing up on a Sunday had any influence on this ;)

At 29, I have never had a real job yet. Some small jobs here and there, but I've mostly studied. The first job was at a camping site. Sitting in the reception, mowing the big lawn, tidy up around the miniture golf area etc. Summer job. 4 weeks. 

Kamikaze pilot (I wasn’t very good).

Oh well, there is still time....... :P

My first job was a part time one whilst still in High School.  Evenings and Saturdays as a sales clerk in a woman's clothing store.  It was a fairly exclusive one, and we received a discount.  Lovely.  :D  I got to work in many departments as I was on what they called the Flying Squad.....worked whatever department was short that day.  Heck, I was only 16, thought it was great. :D

The pay, hold onto your hats.....was 1.60 USD per hour.  Yes, that was back in the dark ages of the 1960's. :ontome:

My first job was when I was 15/16. My school hires the Year 11's to monitor the canteen. We basically monitor the queues of people coming in so that when seats become free we let people in to eat as the canteen isn't that big and we also had to clean up after everyone and put the chairs up at the end of lunch. Didn't get much for it, £2-£3 something, but it was something. I've not had any job since then but done volunteer working.

Well, the first time I had work experience was when I was 12 and the primary school asked for assistants in the nursery (children aged 3 & 4 years old) at lunch time.  After that I'd joined St. John's Ambulance, learnt first aid and did a few voluntary duty days.  It was fun.  We had to watch Carnival shows for free in the Caribbean and look out for anyone who needed first aid.  All we ended up doing was taking a little girl to the toilet because her father (single parent) didn't think it was apropriate to take her into the men's toilet with himself.  At 15 my grandmother was put in charge of a nursery and creche when her friend went on holiday so she took us along as helpers.  It was enjoyable though no one mentioned pay and we didn't expect it. 

My first job in the UK was when I was 16 and had just moved back here.  I found one of those state trainee jobs and told them I was looking for a summer job until school started when I was going to 6th form.  It was a manufacturing machinist job where we would sew stuffed toys and get some instruction.  We had two hours at the end of the day when we were allowed to make what ever we pleased so I started buying materials and made some clothes for myself and family as gifts.  It only paid £50 a week being a training scheme but I thought that was wonderful as I'd never been paid before.  I'd already grown up with sewing as a hobby long before getting that job.  I still sew but don't do it for a work or career.  I left to return to school after holidays whilst the other trainees stayed and found job placements working in factories.

• When a kid i delivered newspapers (thru rain and snow) did that for about 4 years.

At the age of 16 -17 I worked at Piper Aircraft sanding airplane wings (during the summer break from High School)

I worked in a "sweatshop" running and threading machines that made rick-rack (during my higher education years)

Picking strawberries and beans in the school holidays.

For a clothing factory, snipping the loose threads off trousers and tying them in bundles, again in school holidays.

Ooh, ooh, I almost forgot. when a kid of 8 and 9 I picked strawberries and raspberries all day at a berry farm  during break in summers.

Ooh, ooh, I almost forgot. when a kid of 8 and 9 I picked strawberries and raspberries all day at a berry farm  during break in summers.

I would have been 12 or more. I liked that job way more than the factory one. Locally they grow strawberries now in waist height wooden containers ....would make picking so much easier.

My first job was as a student nurse, the summer between my junior and senior year of high school . I LOVED it ~~~before that, I worked as a Candy Striper (which was a glorified nurse's aid in the hospital. It was voluntary,so no pay. We filled patient's water pitchers, read them their mail,got them extra blankets and simple things like that .

Edited by julie

My first job was part time on a Saturday or holidays working in a health food shop when I was 15. There was only me and the owner who worked there, and she was brilliant. It taught me a lot and by the time I was 17 she left me in charge when she wanted time off or was going away on holiday. I loved it! :)

• 7 months later...

do paper rounds count as a job? if so i done paper rounds from 12 - 15 yr old. First proper job i was lucky enough to work in my grandma & grandads pub in canvey island as a barman at 16 (underage yes i know),