Your first job

Weave

Hello,

How are you ALL?

My question is, what was your first job?, did you enjoy it? and did it lead to your current career?

:friends0:

My first job was walking dogs, I loved it because I love animals, the only downside was the rainy days and one of the dogs I walked did nothing I told him but he had such lovely big brown eyes, I let him away with it. My career is in admin, I think I took some organisational skills from walking the dogs, I had to be organised or they ran riot.

My first 'job' was working in my cousin's sweet shop, wages paid in sweets :friends0: It was an after school job, two hours a day. I basically just minded the shop until it closed at 6pm. It was neat.

First proper job was as a cashier in a supermarket. Worst experience of my life. Second job; same thing in a different supermarket, second worst experience of my life. Life is not worth having to deal with the general public on a daily basis.

Aside from babysitting and homework help I did as a teenager, my first real job was cashier/ sales person in a tourists shop.

Could (should?) have been a disaster except for a few things: instead of the random junk souvenirs stall I ended in the bookshop, where I didn't have to convince tourists that they absolutey needed a miniature silicon copy of marie antoinette's shoes (not that most of them needed much convincing :friends0:); and the setting was the the palace of versailles :D Having my sandwich in the queen's gardens and walking through 'secret passages' to get to different parts of the palace definitely was a perk!

What did I get from it? *thinks hard* Mainly the certainty that I didnt want to end up into sales. :lol:

Hello,

How are you ALL?

Very well thank you! :friends0:

My question is, what was your first job?, did you enjoy it? and did it lead to your current career?

My first job was when I was still at school and I worked at a zoo in a cafeteria: washing up, making sandwiches, cleaning tables, serving up ice cream cones, making milk shakes, taking money at the till, being polite to customers. I even got to run a little cafeteria by myself. I felt very responsible and made sure that I did the job to the best of my ability. Most certainly I enjoyed it - I believe there has been only one position, of a few months, that I despised during my working career and that wasn't the work that was the problem but one NOT very nice person!

It certainly is different to what I do now and yet I would say people skills are still important in my line of work, along with figures. Being adaptable and versatile come in useful too!

My first job was walking dogs, I loved it because I love animals, the only downside was the rainy days and one of the dogs I walked did nothing I told him but he had such lovely big brown eyes, I let him away with it. My career is in admin, I think I took some organisational skills from walking the dogs, I had to be organised or they ran riot.

Walking dogs is something that is definitely well worth doing - I love dogs!

My first job was when i was doing my A-Levels and worked evenings at Wilkos, stacking all the shelves for the next day. I didn't like it too much, and luckily I was only a christmas temp so I quit after christmas and got a job at Morrisons on the checkouts. I am still there! It is worse than my old job, I would actually love my old job back! I just have to think not long now, its only to help support me through University and I will be in my final year this September.

I do really really want to be a teacher :friends0: My friends mum works in a school and would be happy for me to come in next year and get some experience :lol:

My first job was a paper round when I was 13, I loved it in Summer. After that I did, Deli counter at David Greig's, worked in a fish & chip shop, Christmas post, summer job at Burroughs & wellcom factory, then a shoe repair shop. Finally I went to Dover to train as a nurse and have done nothing different since.

I think all my other jobs gave me people handling skills at an early age, plus the ability to get up and going at allsorts of hours, both necessary in nursing!

And I can still estimate the weight or volume of most food or liquids by eye and be 99.9% accurate.

Edited by wiccibat

My first job was when I was at college, I was doing an early years course, and for it I had to have placements in various children's settings. One of the places I had to do was a nursery for 2-4 year olds and then older kids after school until 6pm, and one of the full time workers had to have an operation so they paid me to work officially for a few days a week until she could return which was great :lol:

I'd love to go back to working with kids when I get better, but I'm not sure what will happen :friends0:

Very interesting everyone :lol:

My first admin job was in the family planning clinic, I was 18 and every day I was questioned by this old man about why I handed out condoms :friends0:

My first pad job was for the NHS as a secretarial temp. Oh so boring, cause I was only a temp I didn't really get to do anything other than answer phones and photocopying. Least it gave me a foot in the NHS though if I ever want a job there

My first job was a volunteer position at the charity thrift store where my mom worked. I was about 13 at the time, and when I was 18, they hired me for a paying position. It did lead to my earlier career in retail, which I am desperately trying to rid myself of. :friends0:

My first wee job was when I was in my teens. I had a friend who worked in a wee pet/meal shop. They sold budgies/canaries and fish and all sorts of pet food. Also on the other side of the shop was stuff like, porrage oats, custard, flour etc. We had to weigh out stuff and put into bags. I liked doing that have to say. The owners daughter had a flower shop a few doors along and eventually I got to work in there too when needed. I then did function waitressing at a local hotel when I went to college to do Hotel Reception. I worked then in a hotel for couple of years after college and then eventually ended up in admin/secretarial/reception work. So no it didn't influence my career choice :friends0:

My first job was whilst I was at secondary school working as a home worker for a knitting designer. I had to complete a jumper a fortnight - very complex patterns with rows of lace and beading or fairaisle work - I kept this up until I started my nurse training at the age of 18. I remember being paid upto

Angel, when I was a student nurse I was shocked to have an elderly lady accuse me of stealing her husband. Apparently she thought I'd been "swinging my handbag" by the clocktower. This led to a near punch up while my honour was defended by another patient. It seems swinging your handbag isn't ladylike!

When I first started working in addictions, one of the clients asked me to marry him, I told him very politely that I was married already, so he said that once he got out of prison (he was on remand) he would take me out to dinner, I said no but he was adamant :friends0:

I haven't been accused of that Wicci - but I have been called the "spawn of the Devil" because my crime was that my eyes are so dark they look almost black from a distance :friends0:

Blimey!, my sister used to work in a home and some of the things she saw!:lol:

I left school at 16 and after my 17 birthday I started my first job as a Housekeeper in a local hotel. I had a few different cleaning jobs over 4 years and went to college to study Childcare. When I was 21 I met my fiance who gave me the confidence to believe in myself and go for the job I really wanted which was office work. 3 years later I am working as an Administrator :friends0:. My first job did not influence my career choice.

Edited by SweetiiPie85

My first job was as a filing clerk for a marine engineering company. It did lead to other clerical jobs but it did not prove to be a career that I have stuck at, as when the company I was working for (a telex bureau - remember them?) during the late 80's went bankrupt I decided to change career completely and retrain to work in the travel industry. That didn't happen due to the Gulf War and various other things, and so I ended up in retail - I worked for Superdrug for 4 1/2 years. I worked in an insurance office for a while, but they relocated to Bristol/ After that I got a job in a fitted kitchen showroom, arranging appointments and so on. It was not the most interesting job, but I was very good at it, and made some good comission. The experience in sales and marketing that I gained from that industry stood me in good stead when I eventually became an author.

I stayed in that field until my Mum died just before the millennium when I gave up work for a while in order to train as a complimentary therapist (massage, Reiki and crystal therapy), which eventually led to write my book (long story). During those years I worked in a variety of short term casual and temporary jobs - data entry, market research, exam invigilating and so on. I eventually had to get a more permanent job so I went to work at at a supermarket (I won't mention the name) where I stayed for almost 2 years, until I got fed up with that (they left me sitting on the check out for over an hour calling to say that I needed to go to the toilet). I then took another year out to complete, publish and promote my book before going back to work in the electrical sector. The least said about that the better!

I left in shall we say less amicable circumstances at the end of last year (I thought it would end up in an industrial tribunal, but thankfully they saw sense). I now work as a housekeeper in a nursing home and on a casual basis as an exam invigilator. I consider writing to be my true vocation, and also act as editor of my village newsletter (unpaid). Sadly it is hard to earn anything more than pocket money from writing these days, so I have to do other jobs - I wish it wasn't so, but one has to pay the bills somehow!

I haven't been accused of that Wicci - but I have been called the "spawn of the Devil" because my crime was that my eyes are so dark they look almost black from a distance :friends0:

My sister was told she'd got the devil in her, as her client bashed her head against the wall to get it out! :lol:

:lol::D:lol: Sorry that made me laugh, even though it's not funny - who said the caring profession is boring!!!!

On a serious note I am lucky that I have never been hit, but some of my staff have been though over the years and I am ashamed to say that it has been mainly women that have done it :friends0: