2009: The Year So Far

Kylie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm think my reading is a bout average, maybe a little above considering being stuck at home at the begginning of the year, as it's the first year I've counted it's a bit hard to say. I certainly have been re-reading less (only a couple of Harry Potter's at the beggining of the year I think) which is something I was aimming to do, and my TBR pile has changed from never being bigger than 3 books! (Since joining here I may add!).

This has been a brilliant year so far - regarding literature, anyway. ;)

I have been reading a lot more than what I did this time last year. I think the main reason for this is that we now have a proper bookstore around where I live. Previously there was only the secondhand bookstore and the odd supermarket with a book stand - neither of which had a great variety of reading material in the past. That secondhand store has some very interesting finds these days, though.

I've read many a brilliant book during this first half of 2009. The best two that comes to mind, now, are The Time Traveler's Wife and Falling (Olivia Liberty). I was very disappointed in Sunshine by Robin McKinley and The End of Mr Y by Scarlet Thomas, though....

I haven't started any reading challenges, but I did make a list of books I intend on reading before buying other books. I didn't quite stick to that...

Which brings me to the fact that I have indeed bought waaaaay more books than I've read. I recently took a good look through my bookshelf and took quite a few novels to the secondhand store. Curse my impulsive booksale buys! I will behave better during the next six months... maybe... perhaps... we'll see.... :D

I've only managed 20 so far this year and I seem to have a acquired quite a few more than that. I don't do challenges as I know that I'm not good at sticking to them. I find that requesting a review book and then reviewing it is the most challenge I really wish to give myself.

For the next 6 months it would be good to try to read more books than the amount I actually acquire. Can't see that happening though - especially as I've just spotted a collection of 30 bargains that seem to good to miss - although I could be put off if anyone starts telling me that they're dreadful.

Been reading more than you could have imagined? Or has your mojo deserted you?

I am happy to report that I have been reading more this year than I ever imagined. Mostly due, really, to the BCF. It keeps my interest level up. So thank you all for posting and discussing :D

Found any new favourites? Been disappointed by others?

My most favourite read and biggest surprise this year was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer. What an utterly lovely book. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd as I do not read American literature that often.

Also, through BCF, I discovered Jeffrey Deaver and Jeff Lindsay. Great, quick reads for my thriller/crime moods. So thank you again.

Biggest disappointments: When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Been sticking to your reading challenges? Or pushed them to the side in the name of being spontaneous?

My challenge was to read one book a week. I've read 28 books so far, so I pretty much on schedule which is amazing.:D

I began with a list of 52 books, but then decided to erase the list and just add books as I read. I hate being forced to read something when I am in the mood for another kind of something. Too much pressure :D It has worked out really well.

Bought more books than you've read? (Please tell me I'm not alone in this!)

I NEED MORE BOOK SHELVES :lol:

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it?

Far too much, but I won't change as it keeps my mojo going. ;)

And finally, where do you hope your reading will take you in the next 6 months?

I really hope I can complete my challenge, but work is beginning to demand more time. Oh well. I am also looking forward to discovering some really great books thanks to BFC. I have never really been a fan of historical novels, but this year I've read several and I am beginning to get hooked. :lol:

I need more shelves too! We have bookcases doubled up in our house, and books piled on top of bookshelves and to the sides! My sister claims she is taking two shelves worth of books when she goes for her gap year (I doubt she will in the end but who knows!) so maybe then I will have less trouble finding space!

Again, with the breathing thing . . . ;)

I wouldn't worry about Kate, Raven. We gave up hope that she'd slow down along time ago. :D

I wouldn't worry about Kate, Raven. We gave up hope that she'd slow down along time ago. :D

Haha its true! I don't know how I'm doing it either as I do work and have a dissertation to write, a house to find and a wedding to plan.....!

I've been reading a lot more this year than last year, because last year many books I wanted to read weren't available for me, now I have internet, it provides access to a lot of books which I can read whenever I want without having to go to the library only find out again that the book I wanted to read, still isn't there after several weeks waiting. Since I have internet again I can read more.

I've also been reading a few different kinds of books which weren't amongst the ones I was going to read. I discovered titles of books on this website which seemed interesting enough for me to try. But not everything. I also look for new titles in advertisements, if they seem interesting enough, I try them. And this year I did read some books of authors who were unknown to me or genres I didn't read much before.

The last few days I read less though, I've been watching more films and comedy stuff.

Edited by sadya

I suppose I should answer my own questions...

My year got off to a slow start and I expected it to stay that way because I have other distractions in my life. Happily, things have been going pretty well. My mojo was on the blink once or twice but has come back with a vengeance. :lol:

I've found new favourites in Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front and William Goldman's The Princess Bride. I also re-read a few old favourites and discovered an excellent young adult's dystopian series in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies. There were only a couple of minor disappointments; two slim volumes of British humour which I didn't find as funny as most(presumably British) people do.

Been sticking to your reading challenges? Or pushed them to the side in the name of being spontaneous?

Surprisingly, I haven't been sticking to my reading challenges. In fact, I've pretty much lost all interest this year. I only had two set up: the Classics and the 1001 Books, both of which are repeats of challenges I completed successfully last year, but I don't think I'll be meeting those goals this year. I'm OK with that though, because I've been making much more progress in the list of books that I had set out as 'priority reading'.

Bought more books than you've read?

Of course! My TBR pile started at 383, I've read 25 (well, 28, but 3 were re-reads) and I now have around 460 on my TBR pile. :friends0:

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it?

As I predicted in my original post, my answers are 'yes' and 'no'.

Much of the same really. I hope to read at least another 26 books, thereby reaching my goal of one book per week. There'll probably be a couple of average reads in there, but overall I'm expecting great things!

I'm on my 38th book of the year, which I think is fair enough. I said on another thread that I used to give myself 5 days to read any book, so I was reading quite quickly earlier on in the year, but it was sometimes starting to feel like a bit of a chore, so I don't do that any more. As a consequence, since about the beginning of June, my reading might have slowed down slightly, but I'm enjoying it more.

I've read some excellent books this year - The Handmaid's Tale is now firmly in my 'favourites' list, and I've rediscovered Jane Eyre and A Clockwork Orange, both of which I preferred reading second time around. Other books I've given 5 out of 5 are Over by Margaret Forster, The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (as a result, I want to read several more of his books) and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I also gave 5 out of 5 to Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, by David Simon. I don't read very much non-fiction, but this was fantastic.

I have been disappointed by a couple - Brideshead Revisited was a big disappointment, especially as I had such high hopes for it.

I've been sticking to the challenges I've set myself, but I've purposely not set myself unrealistic targets.

Oh yes! I have a compulsion to buy books!

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? )

The internet is my main distraction from reading. (I don't count going out to see friends or going to the gym as a distraction. However, the internet is a distraction because I tend to go on there when I could be reading, whereas if I'm out with friends or at the gym, I couldn't be reading anyway, if that makes sense). Usually I have one day a week when I don't go on the internet at all - generally a Sunday when I am at home all day. I get loads of reading done then!

I hope they will be like the last six months - some great, some good, some not-so-good books, and a few new authors to discover!

Edited by Ruth

There were only a couple of minor disappointments; two slim volumes of British humour which I didn't find as funny as most(presumably British) people do.

What were they, if you don't mind me asking? :friends0:

This is such a good thread!

I've been reading quite a lot although uni work has slowed me down over the past few months. I read 23 books between January and June which isn't too bad really :D

I'm in love with Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and slowly making my way through them. Interview With The Vampire has been my favourite so far and I love the character of Lestat. I've also been enjoying the Lincoln Rhyme's series by Jeffrey Deaver. My favourite so far being the Bone Collector followed closely by the Coffin Dancer.

I was really looking forward to the Birthing House by Christopher Ransom but was let down by it. It had the potential to be an amazing book but was a bit drawn out and quite uncomfortable to read in parts. I was also disappointed by the Memory Keepers Daughter....again, this had great potential but didn't live up to it.

I didn't really set myself any reading challenges at the start of the year and have just followed recommendations from friends, family and BCF members. I think I'm quite a spontaneous reader anyway so I just head in the direction my mood takes me :irked: I'm in the middle of The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory at the moment which would normally never have appealed to me. I can't put it down so will probably end up reading the entire Tudor Series unless something else comes along to take my fancy. I don't really have a set path.

Yup. I've been searching second-hand book shops for the odd book and coming away with 3 or four a time. It doesn't help when they sell them at reduced prices and 'buy one get one free' offers! Eeeek! :friends0:

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :roll:)

Yes and yes. I've decided not to spend too much time on here and so far I'm sticking to it.....about an hour a night. Although that hour could be spent reading too! Oh the dilemma!

Well I'm hoping that I can make quite a dent in my TBR mountain from now until I return to uni in October. Then I think I'll probably not get much of a chance to read due to dissertation work etc :lol:

I'm in love with Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and slowly making my way through them. Interview With The Vampire has been my favourite so far and I love the character of Lestat.

That's great news! I've just started Interview With A Vampire. :friends0:

What were they, if you don't mind me asking? :lol:

1066 and All That by WC Sellar and How to be an Alien by George Mikes. Was it you that also read 1066 not so long ago and didn't particularly enjoy it either? I remember I was very wary after that, and for good reason it turned out! :friends0:

No, if anything I haven't read as much as I have in past years at this time (only 12 to date, pathetic). No idea whether I'm maybe not reading the right books! Although mostly enjoyed what I have, but on the other hand, gave up on a couple.

Have read Debbie Macomber (a new author found through joining bookrings on here). Also Cindy Woodsmall (via Bookcrossing bookrings) Also read all of Linda Gillard's books and looking forward to the new one. Also Linda Newbery a new author, thanks to my buddy Lucybird, in the March World Book Day swap Kell organised.

I tend not to set myself challenges (only to complete bookrings within a month of receiving and pass on) as I know I wouldn't complete them.

As always yes. Difficult to go in and browse and not buy.:D

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :smile2:)

A big YES and NO ;)

If I can double the amount I have read so far by the end of the year I'll be happy (but that would mean limiting my time on here.....any ideas to how I may achieve this :()

It's really good Ben! I was gutted when I finished it ;)

That's great news! I've just started Interview With A Vampire. :D

I recently finished that one. I'm planning to read all the books of that sequence.

• 1 month later...

I was looking around the site the other day, and saw that for a couple of years, someone started a "Where are you in your reading for this year?" thread, and it was interesting to see how many books people had read, and some of their favorites!

Thought I'd start one for this year, since we're 3/4 of the way through it. :D

(I hope there's not on in existence already.. I didn't see one!)

Books Completed: 40

Gave up on: 3

Some of my favorites from the year:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

The Other Side of the Story - Marian Keyes

The Ivy Chronicles - Karen Quinn

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery

We Need to Talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

Handle with Care -Jodi Picoult

Edited by Michelle