Testimony - Anita Shreve

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

The Winter Rose - Jennifer Donnelly

Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult

Deal Breaker - Harlan Coben

If I had to choose my absolute favourite for this year it would be 'The Tea Rose' by Jennifer Donnelly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books read: 45

Re-reads: 3

Goodness! I've almost reached my yearly goal of 52 already. But I think so far I've been reading shorter books, and a lot of young adult fiction.

Favourites this year:

Graeme Base: Animalia & The Waterhole

Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex

F Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby

William Goldman: The Princess Bride

Kenneth Grahame: The Wind in the Willows

John Marsden: Tomorrow, When the War Began

Haruki Murakami: South of the Border, West of the Sun

Erich Maria Remarque: All Quiet on the Western Front

Books Read: 34

Books Half Read: 1

Favourites:

Nightwork - Thomas Glavinic

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson

2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C Clarke

The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Been reading more than you could have imagined? Or has your mojo deserted you?

The mojo has not left me, still reading up a storm. I've read more than I have in the past.

Books Read: 43

Been sticking to your reading challenges? Or pushed them to the side in the name of being spontaneous?

I've stuck to it, and added a few mini-challenges within the main challenge. I upped my challenge, the past 2 years it had been 50 books, this year I'm going for 75. I'm on book 44 now, so I am more than 1/2 way through, and I think I'll make it. I'm also doing a 101 book in 1,001 day challenge, which isn't hard for me, so I've decided to make it 101 memoir/autobio/bio books. I'm also adding a Christmas challenge in Nov/Dec.

Found any new favourites? Been disappointed by others?

Favorites:

Silas Marner by George Eliott

Agnes Gray by Anne Bronte

Beasts of New York by Jon Evans

Believe by Dan Oran

So far this year, nothing has disappointed.

Bought more books than you've read? (Please tell me I'm not alone in this!)

So far I've only bought a few books from the book store (and on my Kindle), I've read most of them. I still have books I bought over the past 2 years that I still haven't read.

Between the Library and the free books on Kindle, I can't get to them, but I still am reading.

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? )

No, because I'm only here at work, and I can't read at my desk, so....

And finally, where do you hope your reading will take you in the next 6 months?

By the end of this year, I would have liked to have finished my goal of 75 books. January will start a new challenge year, not sure if I'll up it to 100. I may not, I may just up it to 80.

Much more than I have for a few years

Books Read: 46

Been sticking to your reading challenges? Or pushed them to the side in the name of being spontaneous?

Not been on here that long so the only challenge I have attempted is the classic challenge - think ive done quite well :lol:

Have read many authors I have not read before

So far this year, nothing has disappointed.

No - since I had some waiting to be read plus I'm working my way through a load of preloaded classics on my Jetbook

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? )

Yes and No Yes inthe sense im not readiing mt TBR pile no in the sense being on here has introduced me to some new authors :lol:

Aiming to read 100 books by the end of this year

• 1 month later...

With three-quarters of the year now under our belts, I reckon it's time for a quick Sit Rep, so how ya'll doin'?!

I'm now up to 18 books for the year; not a huge total I'll grant you, but I'm more or less happy with that as I'm still on for my 24-for-the-year target!

And how are you doing on following up on this bad boy?:

I’d like to knock a couple more science fiction classics off the list (Foundation perhaps, or Flowers for Algernon?), another John Wyndham novel (either the Chysalids or The Trouble with Lichen), a couple more Murakami’s (Norwegian Wood and Wild Sheep Chase, probably) and I’d also like to finish off my re-read of Mike Gayle’s novels (only two left) and the book about Henry VIII I started in May.

I may as well have added War and Peace and Moby Dick to that list, as the only one I've managed since June is Trouble With Lichen, which I finished this evening.

Must try harder!

Edited by Raven

I've lost my mojo twice this year so far, but it usually comes back pretty quickly when I pick up an author I love or a favourite book. I've read 70 books so far, which is how many I read in the whole of 2008, so I'm pleased with my progress!

Well I've read lots of books so far that I'd never have normally picked up, so I hope to keep finding new things and expanding my reading horizons, and I hope to reach my target of 150 books for this year. I think I should be able to do it :blush:

Well I'm up to 95 now, which isn't bad, but I don't think I'll make my target of 150 by the end of the year, so will probably aim for more around 125. And I've been reading books that I wouldn't normally have, so I'm really pleased with that, and intend to keep doing it :D

Bought more books than you've read?

Of course! My TBR pile started at 383, I've read 25 (well, 28, but 3 were re-reads) and I now have around 460 on my TBR pile. :blush:

Much of the same really. I hope to read at least another 26 books, thereby reaching my goal of one book per week. There'll probably be a couple of average reads in there, but overall I'm expecting great things!

My TBR pile now stands at around 550 :D On the upside, I was hoping to read at least 26 more books and I've already read 31. :lol: Hoping to knock off another 15 now.

My reading year has been really good. As I am trying for a baby I wanted to read a lot more than usual as I am scared I won't be able to read with a little one running around and tiredness.

I discovered Daphne Du Maurier this year, which I am VERY happy about. I love her writing so much.

Best Books:

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Boy in the Striped PJs by John Boyne

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

The Time Machine by H.G Wells

White Oleander by Janet Fitch.

I also read the Twilight saga. I enjoyed the first two books (twilight and new moon) but I really lost it with Eclipse and Breaking Dawn unfortunetly.

I was also quite disappointed in The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

So far this year I have reached my target of reading 52 books (up to 59) and I'm now aiming for 90. I have 116 on the TBR pile and it'll keep growing as I buy at least 1 new book a week.

In the next 6 months I want to set myself the following challenges:

- read at least 1 classic for every 10 'modern' books

- finish the bazillion series that I've started

- re-read some favourites maybe have a re-read month, and not feel guilty

- start and maintain a reading thread on here

- aim to read 100 books next year

- finish the bazillion series that I've started

- re-read some favourites maybe have a re-read month, and not feel guilty

I like these goals! Especially the not feeling guilty about re-reading. :lol: I might have to copy these goals for myself for next year.

Another fascinating thread - really enjoyed reading back through this - very comforting!

About the same as the past couple of years: have been reading at the rate of around 40 books per year, and have completed 27 so far this year. Actually very pleased with that, as started an OU course this year which has taken a lot of time up, so had expected the number to go down.

Perhaps the biggest new favourite of the year was Moby Dick, which went right up into my top ten, although my current read Wolf Hall looks as if it might rival that. In non-fiction my favourite so far is probably Richard Moore's In Search of Robert Millar. Overall it's been a good year, with more than usual 'five star' reads (I usually only hit 2 or 3 a year), both fiction and non-fiction. Aside from the two already mentioned, these have been:

Hunting Mister Heartbreak by Jonathan Raban

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King

A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley

London Belongs To Me by Norman Collins

Restless by William Boyd

The one big disappointment was Bernard Schlink's The Homecoming, a complete waste of time. The Suspicions of Mr Whicher proved underwhelming too in spite of the good reviews.

Largely abandoned the one reading challenge I was doing, simply because I was missing the spontaneity in the way I normally select books, not least because I have an equal love of non-fiction as fiction, and the challenge was limiting me to specific fiction books.

Oh yes, you are definitely not alone in this, much to my (book loving) wife's despair.

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :lol:)

Have been spending more time on BCF than I would expect to in the future, as am a newbie, so have been browsing back through loads of threads - lots of very interesting reading! So I do hope to be committing more time to reading in the future!

Wherever the whim takes me! But I definitely want to do more.

Edited by willoyd

Well over the summer I was reading like a champ and it was great but since school has started unfortunately leisure reading is put on the back burner :D

I love love loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower...definitely a favorite and I read a few religion books which was a cool change. I did read A Bend In The Road by Nicholas Sparks and it wasn't as good as I wanted...lol

I put my TBR pile in order and try to stick to it but sometimes...impulse buying kicks my list to the curb lol

Bought more books than you've read?

I've read a lot but I buy 2 (or more) at a time...lol:mrgreen:

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it?

No lol I usually read every chance I get, but I'm on here now so I guess you could say I put it off sometimes haha

I really want to be introduced to a new series of books because to be honest, since Harry Potter, I haven't found a truly amazing series (though I read the Twilight Saga and it was ok) I miss the wizard world haha:mrgreen: