2009: The Year So Far

Kylie

Now that we are halfway through 2009, I thought it would be a good idea to check how everyone's reading year is going.

So, have you...

Been reading more than you could have imagined? Or has your mojo deserted you?

Found any new favourites? Been disappointed by others?

Been sticking to your reading challenges? Or pushed them to the side in the name of being spontaneous?

Bought more books than you've read? (Please tell me I'm not alone in this!)

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :D)

And finally, where do you hope your reading will take you in the next 6 months?

(These questions are not mandatory, of course :lol:)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*runs to the calendar* Halfway through 2009? Already ?? That's just crazy! :lol:

I've only read 12 books so far. Well, actually that's more than I thought I had, but still pretty disapointing. My mojo really has been disfunctional... any "as new" second hand ones available? :D

On the plus side I HAVE been buying more than I read... so I have loads to look forward to!

Awesome thread idea Kylie.

This year pretty much marked my return to serious reading. I am 24 now and before this year I hadn't read seriously since I was probably around 15. I approached the year with pretty much no expectations reading wise. I think I have got through just over 30 books, which is pretty decent I think, however I have slowed down a lot over the last few weeks.

I have definately found a few favourites - TTTW and Jennifer Donnelly's two books in particular.

I did not make any challenges, so I have been sticking to them perfectly!

I have definately bought way, way more books than I have read. I think I have about 30 sitting on my shelves right now still to be read. I seriously need to stop myself.

If I am on BCF, I am almost definately at work, so there is no real danger of BCF time eating into my reading time.

I aim to read at least 50 books this year. I know the second half is going to be slower as I am going to be busier at work and at home, so I think 50 is a reasonable target despite the fact that I have already read over 30.

Again, cool thread!

I'm happy with my efforts so far this year. Compared to last year I read a measily total of three books.

Since February I've read 28 books and have 21 or so books I'd like to get through. I've managed to stick to my plan of buying three books from my wishlist and don't buy anymore until I'm about to finish the 3rd book. I love being able to keep track of my progress on here and on Goodreads. I've found a few gems that sound promising whilst looking at other peoples TBR lists.

I've discovered some absolute favourites and only about 2 or 3 books that I read the majority of but just couldn't push through to the end.

Forgot to add: As for mojo I've lost it twice so far, I needed a break from reading as I was going from finishing one then diving straight into the next but all seems to be okay for the moment usually I'll switch to listening to my mp3 player for a little while.

Edited by paperplane

This year pretty much marked my return to serious reading. I am 24 now and before this year I hadn't read seriously since I was probably around 15.

I hadn't realised that. I'm already liking the info I'm learning from this thread. :)

If I am on BCF, I am almost definately at work, so there is no real danger of BCF time eating into my reading time.

:) You and me both. :lol:

Again, cool thread!

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. I think we've done something like this in past years.

Chimera, I hope your reading picks up for you in the second half of the year!

And Paperplane, you're obviously well up on last year! I've started tracking what page number I'm up to on Goodreads. I love going there every day and seeing the little progress bar fill up. I'm such a nerd. :D

Good thread! :lol:

I've read 36 this year, which is quite good. I didn't make any targets or anything because this is the first year that I've even had a reading list. 36 so far is brilliant because now the busy part of the year is behind me and I have the whole holidays to READ READ READ.

I have found more diversity in my reading this year, but that's only tragically because my Auntie passed away and left loads of books that I aquired.

I haven't bought that many, but still enough to keep the TBR Pile - First time I've had one (historic moment), down.

As to spending too much time on BCF, I'm not ashamed to say that's a resounding 'yes'. I spend too much time browsing threads and replying to posts, when I suppose I could be reading more! However, Kylie is right on both accounts, I don't think I'll do anything about it. :)

In the next 6months I aim to double my total of books read, probably more. I don't think 100 is a bad aim considering I've read 36 already, and the holiday is now upon me!

:D

I have read 24 books this year so far (I think, I might have missed a few when counting). I have 80 something on my TBR list so need to get reading a bit quicker. I'm another one who buys more books when I have so many to read anyway (bought another two on Monday). I should really just buy more when I have completed my TBR list (which will be in 5 or 6 years :lol:). This year I discovered Twilight (which has become one of my favourites), so all four books in the series have been read/re-read numerous times since I bought the first one in April. I also started reading the collection of old children's classics, such as Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Black Beauty but I didn't get very far so I'll have to start again. :D

This is a great thread. I probably spend too much time on the internet as a whole. But I don't believe you can spend too much time on this forum :)

Mojo, what mojo? The great cosmic see-saw of life has stolen my mojo; I've read all of two books through to their conclusions this year, these two miracles being Jasper Fforde's "The Eyre Affair" and "Lost in a Good Book". For the rest, I struggle, I trudge, I lose concentration, I read 50 pages and lose interest, I get 50 pages to the end of something and pick up something else.

Apart from the miraculous Jasper I have fallen in love, if beginnings are anything to go by, with Walter Moers, author and illustrator of "The City of Dreaming Books" (something I will be reading to my future kids when they're too young to understand Jasper) and the world of "Generation Dead" created by Daniel Waters (which is sort of like "Twilight" but - vampires + zombies - bad writing + sociological elements). Amongst others I was disappointed by Clive Barker's (one of my favourite authors from childhood) "Mr. B. Gone", which failed to grip me, and Richard Matheson's "I am Legend", which I was looking forward to reading but got annoyed with re: sloppy continuity.

Sticking to reading challenges? *falls about laughing* - sorry, I found that amusing.

You could say I've been spontaneous in that in the past two month I've acquired nigh on 20 books, none of which I've yet reached the end of. All BCF's fault, I say.

Where do I hope my reading will take me in the next 6 months? I don't ask for much, I would just be grateful if some actually happened. I'm a bad bibliophile.

Edited by BookJumper

Last year I read 40 books in total - this year I have read 37 so far, so my mojo is definitely intact! This is largely due to the fact that I haven't done a GCSE or A Level this year for the first times since 2001/2.

I've read a couple of Evelyn Waugh books this year which has definitely made me want to read more!

I've only read 1 book so far this year that I've hated - and I don't think I've given up on anything!

Been sticking to your reading challenges? Or pushed them to the side in the name of being spontaneous?

I'm plodding through my challenges slowly - the Olympic one was always going to be very long-term. The 'decades' one I'm really enjoying, although it can be frustrating to read a book from the 30s, only to find I've already filled that category. I need to get more organised!

Oh goodness me, yes. I'm beginning to become embarrassed by my 'to read' shelves. :lol:

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :))

Yes. No. :D

I just hope I get plenty of 'excellent' reads! :)

Great thread idea, Kylie. :D

So, have you...

A bit of both. My mojo went AWOL when I got pregnant with Xander and pretty much kept a low profile until very recently, when it started kicking back in again.

I've been on a bit of a Danny Wallace bent lately. I read Join Me a few years ago (and promptly Joined Danny's Collective), and this year I've read Yes Man; Danny Wallace and the Centre of the Universe; and Friends Like These - all were hilarious. I'm now reading Are You Dave Gorman, which he wrote with, yes, you've guessed it, Dave Gorman, and so far it's pretty funny.

I've only abandoned two books so far this year: Tom Robbins - Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, which was recommended to me, but I just could not read it at all; and Louis de Bernieres - Captain Corelli

Hmm. So first let's put together a little list for myself, so I can work out what the year's reading has been.

Michael Chabon - The Yiddish Policeman's Union

Philip Roth - American Pastoral

JG Ballard - Miracles of Life (autobio)

Joseph O'Connor - Redemption Falls

JK Galbraith - The Great Crash of 1929 (Non-fic)

Orhan Pamuk - Istanbul (Non-fic/autobio)

Joseph O'Neill - Netherland

Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited

Timothy Egan - The Worst Hard Time (non-fic)

Rose Tremain - The Road Home

Iain Banks - The Steep Approach to Garbadale

Junot Diaz - The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Paul Theroux - Dark Star Safari (non-fic)

Dan Brown - Angels and Demons (worst book ever)

Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men

James Hamilton-Paterson - Cooking With Fernet Branca

Jan Morris - Venice (non-fic)

reading - Aravind Adiga - The White Tiger

dipping in and out of - Peter Ackroyd - London: The Biography and Herve This - Molecular Gastronomy.

---

Well, given that it feels like I've not been reading much this year, that's actually pretty impressive. Non-fiction always takes me a long time to read because I need a narrative to grasp hold of. And there's some really great stuff in there, too, particularly the Ballard, the Galbraith and Brideshead. All of which are spectacularly fantastic books (although the it's hard to judge the Ballard for non-Ballard fans, so that's not actually a recommendation).

There's some pointless fluff, and one staggering work of astonishing awfulness, but actually, it's a really good reading year.

And with some real surprises. For example, the Joseph O'Neill Netherland is great, Brideshead is just infinitely better than I'd feared.

The biggest disappointments were Oscar Wao and Jan Morris's Venice, both of which I came into expecting to absolutely love, and neither of which made any real impact on me.

Edited by Freewheeling Andy

Awesome thread! :lol:

Unfortunately I lost my mojo a while back... I've been reading way less than I had intended. Although I'm hoping summer holiday will help!

I absolutely loved The Book Thief! I was totally disappointed by the Twilight series (please don't kill me!!!), it didn't live up to my expectations especially after hearing about for so long before reading it.

My only challenge was to read a classic book per months and besides May I think I did ok with that. I am pretty spontaneous though with the books I read.

Bought more books than you've read?

Always happens!

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it?

I actually haven't been here in a while but now that exams aren't taking up all my time I'm back! So I'll definitely spend too much time here, it's happened before!

Hopefully I'll get my mojo back and read way more. It's pathetic how little I've been reading besides textbooks.

I, too, must commend you on your thread making skills :D

On and off - I read The Book Of Lost Things in a day, and I read all 675 pages of Inkheart in two days. I've also read over 30 books, which is more than one a week so far, and that's a lot considering I've been in college and had a month of exams. But at other times, I wouldn't pick a book up for days, so it comes and goes.

Several! The very first book I read, A Certain Slant Of Light, was superb. Also, the Oscar Wilde Mysteries. The End Of Mr. Y. Pride and Prejudice! The Historian! I couldn't name them all. Disappointments have been very few, I'm glad to say, thanks to the immaculate taste of certain members on here.

Well, I only have two challenges: Read as much as possible (can't lose) and my A-Z challenge, reading one author for every letter of the alphabet. The amount of each letter and the order don't matter, so I'm pretty much just reading anything, and I'll worry about completing any remaining letters towards the end of the year.

Oh yes. I've bought about 45-50 this year, and got a further 10-15 as gifts/reviews. I've read 31. So there you go.

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :))

Yes and no. :) I love this forum more than any other I've been on, and now I'm a mod, so I'm definately going to be spending more time (if that's even possible), on here helping with it's upkeep. However, I can click with one hand and hold a book in the other :lol:

Well, my reading this year has been hugely varied. I've read classics, chick lit and various cultural literature I never would have read without the recommendations on this forum. Currently I'm raiding BookJumper's brain and stealing a lot of her recommendations as she tends to have a very good eye for unheard of titles. So, with that it mind, it seems I hope to delve into the little-seen underbelly of relatively contemporary fiction, digging out the equivalants of cult movies like Ghost World :D

I've lost my mojo twice this year so far, but it usually comes back pretty quickly when I pick up an author I love or a favourite book. I've read 70 books so far, which is how many I read in the whole of 2008, so I'm pleased with my progress!

The Book Thief was amazing, as was Second Glance by Jodi Picoult. The Women Of The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong was a fantastic series and the two series I've read by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse and Harper Connelly) were fab as well.

Books I've been disappointed in are Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen, Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer, and The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom, mostly because I was so looking forward to reading each one and they were terrible! :D

I had 3 main challenges that I started this year, to read more series of books, A-Z of authors and Around The World challenge. Atm I'm reading through my 6th series of the year so that's going really well, I've done 14/26 of the author A-Z, so that's also going well. The ATW challenge is intended to be long term, so far I've read 5 countries and have another 8 countries waiting to be read, so if I can complete 10 countries by the end of the year I'll be pleased with that. I also wanted to get through at least half of my TBR pile, sadly that's failed miserably! ;)

I've bought loads of books this year, I'm constantly seeing reviews or books mentioned on here that look great and I think I must have them, which has ended in my TBR pile almost doubling since January...oops!

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :D)

Yes. No. :lol: This is the best forum I've ever belonged too, so it's no wonder it's hard to tear myself away. I spend more time reading about books other people are reading than actually reading any myself :lol: But I've made lots of great friends here, so I'm really glad I found this place!

Well I've read lots of books so far that I'd never have normally picked up, so I hope to keep finding new things and expanding my reading horizons, and I hope to reach my target of 150 books for this year. I think I should be able to do it :D

According to my librarything challenge, I've read 73 books. This is the first time I've ever counted the books I'm reading. So far I've never suffered from lost mojo. I read less now in summer than I do otherwise, especially now that the weather has been so nice.

One favourite was "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Partrick Ness, I've liked everything I've read of Markus Zusak so far. Linda Gillard is also a new favourite. The Women Of The Otherworld series have been a nice series, and for fluff this year I've mainly read Sookie Stackhouse.

I don't do well with challenges, but I have one for this year through Librarything, 9 books in 9 categories, read in 2009. I chose the categories myself so I didn't make any tough categories, but I've still had a bit of a challenge with my "classics"- category and my "nonfiction"- category. On the other hand, my fantasy and romance categories are full already (but I'm still counting the books I read just the same..). I will probably read enough classics and nonfiction books by the end of the year, but I probably won't be reading the classics I wanted to read in the beginning of the year.

I have maybe 10 books in my shelves that I haven't read. I will have to make some tough decisions and give away some of those books, because I probably won't be reading them at all. 1 or 2 will have to go. That being said, I discovered Bookmooch and Bookcrossing, so I hope that they will go to a good home. I keep some books in my shelves that I know I won't be re-reading, but I know my friends or family will like. It's nice to have something to give when they come asking for advice on what to read.

Too much time here? No, I still have time for family, work and sleep, so I wouldn't say I'm spending too much time here.

I hope I will discover a lot of new books to read, and that occasional gemstone that will be a new favourite.

My mojo never completely deserts me but can wane quite a bit. However, I've read way more than I imagined this year. Over the last few years I haven't gotten as much reading done as I would have liked but this year has been great. I've read a total of 30 so far, 11 of them read only last month! I've never read that many books in one month and most of them have been well over 400 pages. Hopefully my mojo is here to stay for a while.

Oh I have most definately found new favourites. I'm a bit of a serial killer fan and through some great recommendations on bcf I've discovered Jeffrey Deaver and Jeff Lindsay who I would now rank in my top authors list. I've also discovered three fantastic new series' (all on recommendations from bcf), one from Kelley Armstrong and two from Charlaine Harris. I've only had two disappointments this year, The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Shame really cause I was really looking forward to them. Otherwise I've read some great titles, because of bcf, that I wouldn't have normally read, so thank you bcf! ;)

I've only really set myself the challenge to read 52 books this year, one for each week, and to try to include a few classics. I've already read 30, 3 of which were classics, so I'm hoping my mojo hangs around in full force to complete it! :D

I'm not sure how many books I've actually bought this year, I do know its loads, but I've joined a few bookrings on here too and swapped some so that has enabled by TBR pile to grow from 7 before christmas to 41 now! My wishlist has increased too up to 51. I never really kept lists before so I'm really enjoying doing that now. I'm always on the lookout for books and I usually buy a few each month.

Of course! :lol: This is the first forum I've ever joined and I consider myself really lucky to find it first time. I've made loads of great friends too and like nothing better than to check in for a while and read about people reading books! :D

Well I hope I continue getting fantastic tips on here and can complete my challenge, maybe even beat it! Either way I'm sure to enjoy myself :lol:

Whilst I’ve not read as much as I hoped I would have by now, I’ve been ticking over fairly nicely, so no loss of mojo, but could do better!

My liking of Haruki Murakami has continued to grow, and I also enjoyed Mike Gayle’s latest, even if it wasn’t his best. Past that, several of the books I have read this year have been re-reads. If I have been disappointed in a book, I’d have to say it was in jPod, which I found to be a bit of a let down after the excellent Microserfs (it hasn’t put me off reading further Douglas Coupland novels though!).

(Full list and reviews of what I have read here: Raven’s Reads).

Accept no challenges, that way you are never defeated!

Oh yes, but I’ve not been too bad this year – I think I’m only two or three down on the number read vs. the number bought.

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? )

I’ve probably whittled away time on here – and other forums – that could have been put to better use, but I’m not going to beat myself up over it!

I’d like to knock a couple more science fiction classics off the list (Foundation perhaps, or Flowers for Algernon?), another John Wyndham novel (either the Chysalids or The Trouble with Lichen), a couple more Murakami’s (Norwegian Wood and Wild Sheep Chase, probably) and I’d also like to finish off my re-read of Mike Gayle’s novels (only two left) and the book about Henry VIII I started in May.

So far I've read 47 books which is two less than my total of books read last year. There has been a couple of times where I have lost interest in reading or ended up abandoning a book halfway through.

The Time Traveler's Wife, Noughts and Crosses trilogy, Handle With Care, Chocolat.

Also new authors I have found: Alexandra Potter, Minette Walters, Mitch Albom.

The only book I've read so far I didn't enjoy was (and don't kick me off for saying this :lol:) The Picture Of Dorian Gray ;).

The only challenge I set myself this year was to read 50 books, which I have almost reached. I would like to possibly achieve 100 but I'm not too confident I can reach that target yet so I may try and aim for 75.

Yes!! I can't buy just one book at a time. The least I have bought is 2 and 6 at the most (not a lot actually). So many that I now have two bookcases that are full and no more room (unless I start piling them up on my desk :D).

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :lol:)

Not really. Some days I just spend the day reading and trying to avoid going online too much. Also the heat from my laptop is shocking, especially in this weather so that encourages me to turn it off and read.

Hopefully I can reduce my TBR pile which has reached about 80+ so I'm hoping to reduce that and try not to buy too many books. I hope I can manage to read about 75 books this year - if I'm lucky.

I've lost my mojo twice this year so far ... I've read 70 books

Lost mojo = 70 books. I wish I could lose my mojo like that!

I've read 73 books.

Do you two not sleep, eat or waste time with pretty things like breathing, or somthing?! :D

Breathing is overrated! :D

I'll tell you my secret: I only watch one program on TV (that's House MD, by the way). That's a total of 1 hour spent in front of the TV in one week. Plus the season ended in May and the new season starts in autumn, and I don't bother with the re-runs. So no TV at all for the moment.

Yes, definitely, and I think it's because I've joined this forum! Since I starting reading everyone else's reviews, it's increased my appetite for books and have read far more than I'd hoped for this year.

Loved reading the Mapp and Lucia series at the beginning of the year, and Jason Webster has now become a firm favourite, along with the Oscar Wilde mysteries.

I was disappointed with Two Tractors by Marina Lewycka, after enjoying her first book, and also didn't think The Book Thief was as good as I'd hoped it would be. :D

Oops, yes that's me as well! I'd promised myself I wasn't going to buy any more books until my TBR pile was down to 25, which meant I had to read about 70 books. I've actually read 75 books, and my TBR shelf is still groaning with 65 books on it!

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right? :lol:)

Can you spend too much time at BCF? ;)

I'm still hoping to get through my TBR shelf, and then hopefully, I'll be able to splurge on all the recommendations I've been making a note of from everyone else's reading lists!

My mojo has completely deserted me I'm still in single figures in the books read this year stakes. Way below average, I feel guilty about it but can't seem to kick start the reading habit.

Not really found new ones just new books by favourite authors, I've no read enough to have been disappointed apart from with myself ;)

The only challenge I have is to read more than last year and so far I'm way off mark and unless a miracle happens I won't be reaching it :lol:

My reading mojo might have left me but that hasn't dampened my book buying :lol: I've bought at least 4 times more books than I've read!

Been spending too much time at BCF when you could otherwise be making inroads into your TBR pile? And if so, are you going to do anything about it? (Let me guess...'Yes' and 'No', right?)

I've always said if it wasn't for BCF and facebook I would probably read more but I doubt I will do anything about it :D

Hopefully back up to speed and hit my target of 52 by the end of the year :D but even if I manage to read a few more I'll be happy :D

Lost mojo = 70 books. I wish I could lose my mojo like that!

Do you two not sleep, eat or waste time with pretty things like breathing, or somthing?! ;)

Breathing is overrated! :D

I'll tell you my secret: I only watch one program on TV (that's House MD, by the way). That's a total of 1 hour spent in front of the TV in one week. Plus the season ended in May and the new season starts in autumn, and I don't bother with the re-runs. So no TV at all for the moment.

Yeah I don't watch much tv either, and I read pretty fast as well. I usually can read a 500 page book in 2 days if my mojo is good :lol: