Joe Abercrombie

Nah, not really.  I remember the bank, particularly, and I remember that description of Sipani that you mention.  Abercrombie's worldbuilding is quite subtle.  I couldn't come away from that book without being affected by the journey some of the characters took, though, especially Shivers.  Cosca and Castor Morveer were great, too.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I didn't know that Jack Vance's Demon Princes series was  the same plot as The Count of Monti Christo.... now I don't need to read it, having enjoyed Jack's version..

Edited by vodkafan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First review I've seen for Half A King, courtesy of the ever-dependable Wertzone :smile:

He does write great reviews. :) I'm really glad you posted this - much as I love Applecrumble, the YA tag kind of put me off this one. I'm now really excited to read it (the lack of sex scenes is probably a good thing given that he has a habit of writing quite disgusting ones :lol: ).

First seven chapters of Half a King available for free to read online or download from Joe's website

I re-read the first chapter (I think I read it a while ago when Steve posted it) and then had to make myself stop - I know he'll drag me into it and then leave me hanging. :lol: He really does have great skill in writing characters, though, doesn't he? :)

What did everyone make of the First Law graphic novels? He posted quite a lot of those on his website at one time . . .

I'm really glad you posted this - much as I love Applecrumble, the YA tag kind of put me off this one.

I'm guessing you've read his blog post about YA fiction?  It's a very interesting read, and I think he makes a lot of good points :smile:

I'm not going to read anymore of the book until it's actually published and I can read it from start to finish.  I don't really get this trend for releasing multiple chapters from books in advance :shrug:

I'm guessing you've read his blog post about YA fiction?  It's a very interesting read, and I think he makes a lot of good points.

I have, and he does make a very fair point. It's silly that the YA tag does put me off books that I'd probably enjoy - after all, some of the best series' I've read have been YA (The Hunger Games, Garth Nix's Abhorsen Chronicles, Harry Potter, etc.). Either way, I'll definitely be reading Half a King. :D

I'm not going to read anymore of the book until it's actually published and I can read it from start to finish.  I don't really get this trend for releasing multiple chapters from books in advance  :shrug:

I like being able to read a preview (like the ones at the end of books published by Orbit), but I don't like reading more than a short chapter or two. I get too far into the story and it frustrates me when I can't read any more, plus if I do eventually buy the book it means re-reading a hefty chunk from the beginning, which is annoying. Although probably less annoying with Joe's books than others - I must have read the chapter 1 extract at least 3 times now. :giggle2:

I like being able to read a preview (like the ones at the end of books published by Orbit), but I don't like reading more than a short chapter or two. I get too far into the story and it frustrates me when I can't read any more, plus if I do eventually buy the book it means re-reading a hefty chunk from the beginning, which is annoying. Although probably less annoying with Joe's books than others - I must have read the chapter 1 extract at least 3 times now. :giggle2:

I haven't even read the whole of the first chapter :lol:  But yeah, there's the re-reading, plus I want it all to be new and fresh when I get the book.  I'm happy to wait :smile:

I don't like to get too much into an excerpt either, because then I really want to read the book right now! I usually don't read excerpts if I know I'll like the book, I tend to only read them if I'm not sure if I'll like the book, to see what it's like (but I normally skim read it / flick through it rather than read the whole thing).

I do tend to read the 'look inside' excerpts on Amazon if I'm tempted by a book, just to see how the first page or two reads.  That's usually as far as I go, though.  I do the same thing when I'm choosing which book to read next - the one that keeps me reading past the first page wins :smile:

I do that often too, read a page and see which one appeals the most at this specific time. But sometimes I pick a book and start reading it straight away, without reading the first page of several books.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...