The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

I've read about this series on this forum and it's sounded really great. However, last week I went to a bookshop with a friend of mine and we noticed this book and she read the blurb and immediately yelped "this is a total Battle Royale rip-off!!" and was really annoyed by it. According to her and her brother who are into Japan, Japanese movies and literature, it's not uncommon for people not from Japan to take their ideas from Japan and then just make a book or a movie of it and make it seem like it's their own original idea. :lol:

Weave, your review was really excellent and certainly more intriguing than the mere blurb of the book and now I'm kind of on the fence: should I give it a go after all... :roll:

Sorry Kylie, I took so long to reply, I think you should definitely try them :(

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently made two people ( adults ) I know read these books, one bought it and the second one borrowed mine, they both enjoyed it so much that one was disappointed that i had already lent out my copy of Catching Fire! I am waiting patiently for the third one to come out..

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Kylie, I took so long to reply, I think you should definitely try them :(

Yeah that's true, I've read Battle Royale, and Hunger Games obviously copied Battle Royale, that is probably the reason why the book 2 of Hunger Games is not as good as the 1st one, see, I even forgot the title of the 2nd book lol :lol:.

• 4 weeks later...

I adore this series! I love Katniss' intense character and the action and adventure that seems to follow her is utterly impossible to find interesting and amazing! A brilliant read!

Edited by Christie

Mockingjay has been out in the UK for nearly a week, I read and devoured it in just over a day :D There are spoilers everywhere though, so be careful if you've still to read it, I even came across a couple on Facebook!

Mockingjay has been out in the UK for nearly a week, I read and devoured it in just over a day :D There are spoilers everywhere though, so be careful if you've still to read it, I even came across a couple on Facebook!

2.gifI know!, I am avoiding them as much as possible, despite the fact my copy had been pre~ordered about two months ago, its still 'in transit', I bet the driver is reading it :lol:

2.gifI know!, I am avoiding them as much as possible, despite the fact my copy had been pre~ordered about two months ago, its still 'in transit', I bet the driver is reading it :lol:

^ My copy arrived! :)

Wow. I have just finished reading Mockingjay which was amazing. I really love the direction it went in which I did not expect. I think this may be the strongest novel out of the three.

In particular, I liked that the conflict wasn't represented as good rebels versus bad Capitol. Rather that both sides could do both good and evil things. A true representation of the moral ambiguity of war and war crimes.

The ending was fab too.

Having seen Mockingjay around, and wondering what it was about, I looked up The Hunger Games on here. I wasn't 100% sure, but I did like the general idea, and the positive comments on here swayed me, so I decided to give it a chance.

What a gripping book! I appreciate the fact the idea has been done before, but as others have said, there are so many issues and angles to this book, that I forgive it! :) Katniss has a character which draws you straight in, and I adored Rue.

I like the way her death was handled.. it would have been easy to have Katniss faced with the decision to kill her, but the way it was done was quite powerful.

I can imagine this becoming a book read at school, as there lots of issues for teens to discuss.

I've now ordered the other two books, and am looking forward to them arriving. :)

Having seen Mockingjay around, and wondering what it was about, I looked up The Hunger Games on here. I wasn't 100% sure, but I did like the general idea, and the positive comments on here swayed me, so I decided to give it a chance.

What a gripping book! I appreciate the fact the idea has been done before, but as others have said, there are so many issues and angles to this book, that I forgive it! :) Katniss has a character which draws you straight in, and I adored Rue.

I like the way her death was handled.. it would have been easy to have Katniss faced with the decision to kill her, but the way it was done was quite powerful.

I can imagine this becoming a book read at school, as there lots of issues for teens to discuss.

I've now ordered the other two books, and am looking forward to them arriving. :)

Happy reading Michelle, the rest of the series is fantastic, there is so many issues covered and I found it quite insightful :)

I have read the first two of this series and loved them. I was in WHSmith and saw the first one and just picked it up though aimed at people a bit younger then me I would say. Got home and started reading and just could not put down. Picked up the second one a day later and loved it although catching fire for me lets a little repetitive at points. Although Mockingjay has come out haven't had time to read it but can't wait. A series worth reading fast paced and exciting from the start to finish!

I finished Catching Fire last night, and I found it just as gripping as the first book. It really brings out the evil of the President, and the naivety of the people of the Capitol. I would have loved reading this as a teen, and am enjoying it just as much as an adult - I think I'd recommend it to anyone who like dystopian future books.

I'm now excited to read Mockingjay, as thankfully I haven't seen any spoilers yet. :)

I finished Catching Fire last night, and I found it just as gripping as the first book. It really brings out the evil of the President, and the naivety of the people of the Capitol. I would have loved reading this as a teen, and am enjoying it just as much as an adult - I think I'd recommend it to anyone who like dystopian future books.

I'm now excited to read Mockingjay, as thankfully I haven't seen any spoilers yet. :)

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts Michelle :)