The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

Then I will read them on your recommendation :D Now just to find someone who I can borrow it from... or maybe I should just wait until school begins again when I get access to the library once more ^.^

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've read it :D And liked it, it wasn't half bad actually. I had expected a kobayashi maru approach on letting her and Peetah escape but more spontaneous duel suicide idea worked good enough. They never really make clear why they so desperately need a winner though. Wouldn't it be much smarter to let them both die and deny district 12 their prize? In that way, any contestants who think of pulling the same stunt in the future have not only themselves but also their entire district to worry about making it very unlikely that it will be faked or repeated by future contestants.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am now on the last book (Mockingjay) and so far have managed to avoid the film. I intend to watch it once I am done. Anyway point being, are there any plans for two more movies?

Edited by Nicola Booth

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am now on the last book (Mockingjay) and so far have managed to avoid the film. I intend to watch it once I am done. Anyway point being, are there any plans for two more movies?

Yes there are, Catching Fire is due to be released in November 2013. :)

Well, I've read it :D And liked it, it wasn't half bad actually. I had expected a kobayashi maru approach on letting her and Peetah escape but more spontaneous duel suicide idea worked good enough. They never really make clear why they so desperately need a winner though. Wouldn't it be much smarter to let them both die and deny district 12 their prize? In that way, any contestants who think of pulling the same stunt in the future have not only themselves but also their entire district to worry about making it very unlikely that it will be faked or repeated by future contestants.

I liked the book too. It was the director who got sentimental and let them get away with suicide stunt and he was punished for that by being executed. Others wouldn't have let them get away with it especially Snow.

I've just finished reading 'Catching Fire' and I was worried that this would not live up to 'The Hunger Games', but I thought it was even better. It was so intense and exciting, that I read this in less than 3 days where as usually, I'm quite a slow reader.

The complexities of Katniss' actions, based on the repercussions within her family and the society as a whole, was particularly interesting. At times I did find Katniss' decisions rather confusing, but I suppose that reflects what she was going through at the time.

The only niggle I had whilst reading this, was the 2nd half of the novel was a little similar to the 1st book. Although there were enough surprises to keep this novel different.

In my opinion forget 'The Twilight Saga', 'The Hunger Games' trilogy is an exciting, intelligent series which tackles some complex ideas. I'm desperate to find out what happens next.

I liked the book too. It was the director who got sentimental and let them get away with suicide stunt and he was punished for that by being executed. Others wouldn't have let them get away with it especially Snow.

Is that in the second book? I don't remember it being mentioned in the first. Also, weren't it directors? You know, a whole bunch of them?

I was thinking now that my husband and I have seen the first Hunger Games movie I might start reading the first book :).

Oh yeah Amanda you should definitely read the book ! Some things were simplified for the film so inevitably a little is lost, although as film adaptions go it was not bad at all. Also once you have read it you can join in all the discussions and tell us what you thought. ;)

• 1 month later...

I have heard so much about these books, as well as the movie - one thing I am still not sure about though, what would you say the age range for the books is?

I think a very wide range of people of various ages have enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy, I certainly did (age 41), as did my son (12 years old at the time).

Hope that helps! :)

• 4 months later...

That's a great bargain, I already have them and don't live in the UK but.. XD. I don't think HMV is doing all that well (unfortunately), based on what I've heard, but I could be wrong of course. I always like to go there when I'm in the UK, it's a nice shop.

More on topic: I'm reading Catching Fire atm, I've read a few chapters so far and the story is already quite intriguing, being a continuation of the things that happened in part one, The Hunger Games. I look forward to see where the story will go / how it will develop.

Off Topic: HMV went into administration just after Christmas and they have closed a number of branches (they have pulled out of ROI altogether). Walking around the shop today it did feel like a closing down sale, but the core business is still supposed to be profitable and they are looking for a buyer. I hope it survives, but whoever takes over is going to have to make some radical changes for that to happen.

On Topic: I think my 14-year old niece, who is obsessed with these books, is going to be very happy to hear her Uncle has bought them!

Off Topic: HMV went into administration just after Christmas and they have closed a number of branches (they have pulled out of ROI altogether). Walking around the shop today it did feel like a closing down sale, but the core business is still supposed to be profitable and they are looking for a buyer. I hope it survives, but whoever takes over is going to have to make some radical changes for that to happen.

On Topic: I think my 14-year old niece, who is obsessed with these books, is going to be very happy to hear her Uncle has bought them!

Yeah, they had they're debt bought out by Hilco who did the same for HMV Canada and then brought the Canada stores. But I don't know if they're buying the UK one.

I would love to get all those books. But I'm really stingy/careful with my money and don't buy books that much now as they cost so much. But I may look into getting the last 2 at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading Catching Fire, wow, what a great read! They may be Young-Adult books but I found them to be really enjoyable (not that the two are mutally exclusive or anything). There were several plot twists I didn't see coming. As with the first book, it again occurs to me why so many people are so excited about these books, they are just really good!

I finished reading Mockingjay, I liked it a lot but I didn't really like the ending.

I couldn't believe that Prim died, it seemed to kind of come out of the blue for me. I didn't like that Katniss had children in the end, it always seemed a nice character trait of hers that she didn't want them, didn't want the same as most other people. I did like who she ended up with, it made sense to me.

Edited by Athena