The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finished all of them. The books were beautiful. I also cried because of some sad events in Mockingjay :cry:

Yeah I know which bit you mean I thought it seemed a rough deal that . I guess you will be watching the film Chiara?

Edited by vodkafan

Yeah I know which bit you mean I thought it seemed a rough deal that . I guess you will be watching the film Chiara?

Yeah definitely! I can't wait to see it, it looks very promising :smile:

Edited by Chiara

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately recommend these books - not just to YA, but to adults as well....and to people whose mojo is waning at the moment. I read all three in 4 days! (neglecting everything else in my life)

Haha definitley agree, I read them all in about a week and a half :)

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe that there has not been a forum topic on the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. The books are ranked 1, 2, and 3 in popularity in the U.S. and the first movie is about to be released and it is a sure thing to be a great hit. I have read some reviews of the books by kids aged 10 and 12 and their reviews exceeds some that I have read by adults. :) The Hunger Games Trilogy is another series that is being read by people of all ages. I will probably start reading the series as soon as I finish the Baldacci book I am reading as all reviews on The Hunger Games have been great.

The Hunger Games

Catching Fire

Mockinjay

From Amazon:

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.

There is actually a thread for it, but it's over in the Children's/Young Adult section here --> http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4188-the-hunger-games-series-by-suzanne-collins/ :)

chelisbeach, Michelle may move my thread and combine it with the children's section but I really believe the Hunger Games topic deserves a section in the adult area :).

These books are such a blockbuster of a hit and are/have been on the best seller list for well over a year. the movie is about to be released and by all indications it will be a blockbuster. Books of this nature come along every once in a while starting with:

The Hardy Boys

Nany Drew series of books

Harry Potter

and now The Hunger Games - althoug Collins has stated that there will only be the 3 books and no more.

I know what you mean, muggle not, but I think the problem of having two threads is opinions get duplicated between the two threads, and then you get confused as you're sure you've posted in a thread and then can't find your post. Although I agree that the books have been as popular with adults as with youngsters, they are still written for YA so I guess that's why the original thread is over in the YA section.

I've read them all, and thought the Hunger Games was excellent, but didn't feel the Catching Fire and Mockingjay lived up to it.

Thanks Claire - I agree. The same can be said for the Harry Potter books - they are loved by all, but were originally written as YA books, so that's where you'll find the threads. It doesn't really matter where they are on the forum though, as a search will usually find them.

I know what you mean, muggle not, but I think the problem of having two threads is opinions get duplicated between the two threads, and then you get confused as you're sure you've posted in a thread and then can't find your post. Although I agree that the books have been as popular with adults as with youngsters, they are still written for YA so I guess that's why the original thread is over in the YA section. I've read them all, and thought the Hunger Games was excellent, but didn't feel the Catching Fire and Mockingjay lived up to it.

I totally agree with your logic chelisbeach. I did a couple searches but they did not reveal the Hunger Games. It is one of those catch 22 things though as the books probably will not be discussed by as many adults since many do not wander over to the Youth section.

I put Hunger Games in the search, and this thread was on page 2, so not that hard to find. :)

Yes, that is true. I can also always find the easter egg if I know where it is.:)

I searched "Fiction", Fantasy, Authors, and Thrillers - no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally made a start on these :readingtwo:;)

Just finished the first one and loved it :D

I wished I had started them sooner. I have to admit that the reason I didn't was because the covers put me off. I didn't think they were going to be my cup of tea. I know, never judge a book by it's cover :banghead:

Can't wait to read the next 2 and watch the flim now yippeeeeee

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally finished the series :D

I'm glad

with who Katniss ends up with.

I didn't think I would because I was a biiiiiig

Gale fan through out. I did like Peeta too. It makes sense for her to be with Peeta though after everything they've been through and the way he was willing to die for her throughout.

Can't believe after everything

Prim dies.The whole reason the games started was to protect her. Good twist and even better twist that it was Coin not Snow.

Edited by Star

I have just finished 'The Hunger Games' and it's the best book for young adults I have ever read. Not only is it sinister and compelling, but the writing within this is slick. Suzanne Collins is able to pack this book with so much detail, without waffling on.

One question though, do you think that 'The Hunger Games' should be labelled as 'Young Adult' fiction? Yes the book features children/teenagers, but in my opinion, the content within this novel pushes the boundaries of what content is acceptable in a Young Adult novel. This could easily be aimed at adults, I'm 31 and found this extremely mature/graphic for its audience.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the film version of the novel (I've heard lots of good things about it) and to reading the rest of this trilogy.

Hey Karen

Glad you enjoyed it :readingtwo:

For me the first book was without a doubt the best of the series. The others are good but not to the same standard and with the third being my least favourite. It's much more political.

As for the film I hope you're not dissapointed. Me and my 3 friends who have all read the book and were expecting a lot felt it was missing something. The book is 100 times better but they have made a good attempt and it does stick to the book pretty well. The books are normally always better though aren't they.

As for the age thing they are quite gruesome but if it was an adult read I would expect it to be much more graphic lol :o

That said though I do think it's a shame about the film because you don't get to see much of that side. They've hidden it with shaky camera work. When people are being killed at the beginning of the games you can't make out whats happening and whos being killed. I guess they've done that because it is a young adult book and want it to appeal to all ages groups.

Hope you enjoy the other 2 books in the series :friends3:

Hey Karen

Glad you enjoyed it :readingtwo:

For me the first book was without a doubt the best of the series. The others are good but not to the same standard and with the third being my least favourite. It's much more political.

As for the film I hope you're not dissapointed. Me and my 3 friends who have all read the book and were expecting a lot felt it was missing something. The book is 100 times better but they have made a good attempt and it does stick to the book pretty well. The books are normally always better though aren't they.

As for the age thing they are quite gruesome but if it was an adult read I would expect it to be much more graphic lol :o

That said though I do think it's a shame about the film because you don't get to see much of that side. They've hidden it with shaky camera work. When people are being killed at the beginning of the games you can't make out whats happening and whos being killed. I guess they've done that because it is a young adult book and want it to appeal to all ages groups.

Hope you enjoy the other 2 books in the series :friends3:

Thanks! I also hope that I enjoy the other two books.

Having not seen the film I can't really comment too much on how the director handles the violence in this, but I would say that if they had shown all of the violence as described in the novel, the rating would have to be raised, thus missing the target audience.

I can comment better about this, once I have seen the film.

Thanks! I also hope that I enjoy the other two books.

Having not seen the film I can't really comment too much on how the director handles the violence in this, but I would say that if they had shown all of the violence as described in the novel, the rating would have to be raised, thus missing the target audience.

I can comment better about this, once I have seen the film.

Yeah thats what I was saying or trying to say lol :giggle::friends3:

Edited by Star

Having now seen the film I can comment more on this. I thought that the way in which the director shot the violence within this film was clever, because the quick flashes of brutality made it so that you saw details but it took a second for me to register what happened. I did feel at times that form of camera work, was a little disorientating though.

Overall I think that the film version is very true to the original text (some minor details missed out), but did rush things a little. I prefer the book, but the director has done quite a good job of the film adaptation.