The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

I'm liking them so far 1/2 way through 2nd. I finished them and thery were alright, but I wasn't keen on the ending. They are also like Ender's game - Orson Scott Card

(EG ,Films out later this year, mmm.)

Edited by dex

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read the Hunger Games, I read it straight through the night, from 1AM til 5AM. Couldn't stop reading even though I had to pee badly. After I finished it, I was dying for the sequel. DYING!!!! When I found out the ARC would be available in the spring, I bribed everyone I could think of to get me one. And yes, I got it. The day I got it, I couldn't look at it until 1AM again. This time, I promised myself, I would only look at the first chapter and then put it down.[/size]

I thought the first one was fantastic. In the back of my mind I felt that the sequel just couldn't be as good. How could it? Boy was I wrong! It was even better! My heart was racing the whole time I was reading it and I simply couldn't put it down. I believe Ms. Collins is the MASTER of the pageturner. Every chapter ends with almost a cliffhanger feeling. It compels you to keep reading. It physically traps you into the book so that you just can't put it down. If you can't read this book in one sitting, then I urge you not to even look at it until you can. Like the first one, you will not be able to put it down. The house could have been on fire and I doubt I would have noticed.[/size]

Since we got to know Peeta and Katniss so well from the first one, what the sequel does is invest us even more deeply into their emotional well being. I won't give any other spoilers than what has already been said. So the book starts with Katniss as the face of the rebellion because of her act of defiance in the first book. As rebellion grows, the President sets up his revenge - and when I found out what it was, I literally sat up in bed and shouted "Oh NO! I can't believe they are doing this to them!!!" Yes I was talking to my book. That's how deeply this book sucks you into this amazing and disturbing dystopian world. It makes you want to grab up a weapon and join the rebellion.[/size]

One thing I have to say, I was deeply satisfied with the ending of this book. The first book ended in such a way that I was bothered by it and itchy for the next book. With the end of Catching Fire, I felt it was absolutely right and thrilled with the conclusion. But I'm still DYING for the third and final book of this amazing book series.[/size]
In this series, Catching Fire is the book i like most.

• 4 weeks later...

I read all three in less than a month. As a young adult, I'd have to say this is the best YA series since Harry Potter. The writing is so much better than in Twilight (which I actually enjoyed) and the themes are so much more powerful. 

I really love that she wasn't afraid to kill off the characters that people loved. Just like J.K. Rowling wasn't afraid to kill Lupin, Snape, Fred, etc. I'm not saying that's what makes a good book but it makes the book seem more real. It was sad when I finished Mockingjay because I didn't want it to be over. Well written and a great read! :)

The writing is so much better than in Twilight (which I actually enjoyed)

It may be better than Twilight but I'm not sure it's amazing...I find Collin's prose to be one of the weakest parts of the novels.

Definitely agree that I didn't want Mockingjay to end. People complain that oh, Prim's death wasn't given enough page time and I'm like, yeah - it's meant to be a realistic depiction of revolution. People die in the blink of an eye without grand spectacle.

It may be better than Twilight but I'm not sure it's amazing...I find Collin's prose to be one of the weakest parts of the novels.

Definitely agree that I didn't want Mockingjay to end. People complain that oh, Prim's death wasn't given enough page time and I'm like, yeah - it's meant to be a realistic depiction of revolution. People die in the blink of an eye without grand spectacle.

Definitely not amazing, but still better than Twilight. Most YA fiction that I've read isn't great writing. I am probably just reading the wrong books, but other than Harry Potter I haven't come across great writing for young adults. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. 

• 1 month later...

Definitely not amazing, but still better than Twilight. Most YA fiction that I've read isn't great writing. I am probably just reading the wrong books, but other than Harry Potter I haven't come across great writing for young adults. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. 

And even Harry Potter isn't great writing ;) no, there's plenty of fantastically written YA, and I'll be happy to recommend some, but much like 'adult' novels, the YA sector has commercial novels and then more literary novels - which, in fairness, can also be commercial.

• 2 months later...

I am currently reading the third Hunger Games book and I love it.

I am a massive fan of young adult dystopian fiction.  I do understand what you mean about Collins' prose, it is weak in places although of course a million times better than Twilight (I can't stand Twilight!)

I've also enjoyed Wither by Lauren DeStefano and Delirium by Lauren Olivier recently.  There is definitely some great YA out there.

The Hunger Games are some of my favorite books- so entertaining.  Catching Fire kept pretty close to the book, like the first one.  I'm not saying it was 100%, but most than some other movie/ book adaptations.

Isn't the most important thing in Young Adult books supposed to be the plot? After watching the second Hunger Games movie in the cinema recently (have not read the first two books, guilty), I bought the third book 'Mockingjay' and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Not saying it's the greatest prose of our times, however, I found the book catchy and enjoyable.

Admin edit: Please read the rules about asking for help with surveys etc

Edited by Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the third book of the series. I read the first and the second book in few days, and I loved them from the beginning :D

So far (I'm at page 78), I liked Mockingjay!

I'll say you, when I'll finish it, what I think about the entire series! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't wait either- I need Alexi's countdown app :giggle2:

It looks good- I was wondering how they would do it- seems like they did a good job- as with the other two. 

I really liked the other two films (and I love the books). It's a shame they're splitting book three into two films, but I guess you can't have everything. The trailer makes it look really awesome, and book three is quite different from books one and two so I look forward to see what it'll be like on screen.

Ya I can't wait to see what they do with PT1 AND 2!  It's a lot to get in there, so I can see the 2 films out of the one book, but Lionsgate is doing the same with Allegiant and I just don't agree!  When I think of Allegiant, I think of it being, like, 100 pages lol

I read the trilogy nearly a year ago...

I didn't know the series, nor movies or books. So I didn't have any expectations about them.
When I finished the first book, I was positively surprised: I liked the charachters, the setting, and the whole story.
I immediately bought the other two volumes, hoping in an epic climax.

But... the second book failed my expectations. It wasn't that bad, it simply wasn't an improvement over the previous chapter: it was a sort of more of the same, which didn't entertain me as much as the first time. 
There were good things in it, though (namely, Finnick).

Then, the disaster. I hated every single bit of the third book. It failed me on so many levels I wanted to forget all the series.
The charachters I liked, or even loved, became hateful to me, the plot became more and more predictable...

And then, there's the ending. One of the most awful endings I've ever read.

In the end, I have good memories of the first one, while I grow on hating both the second and third book.

Regarding the movies, I've only seen the first one so far, and I liked it, even if it felt a bit rushed compared to the book.

Obviously, that's just my opinion :smile: