A Question for NON Poetry Lovers

Yes, it does make sense, it's not how I feel, but I can still understand what you mean. I don't need lyrics to understand music, particularly music in a minor key can be incredibly moving. But it is very interesting that people view things in a different way, there's no right or wrong about it, just a different perspective. If we all looked at things the same way, we wouldn't have the wonderful variation in music, art and literature.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's because poetry is actually a personal experience unlike prose. I didn't really like poetry until I read Dulce Est Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen. Before then I had absolutely no interest in poetry - aside from the odd comic poem. It's finding the right one for you - like a life time partner.

My sister doesn't like poetry very much but the Moth one I shared on here she liked and could understand the 'skill that went into it'. Which I think is strange as she's a song writer ... and to me, songs are poetry - Just got to listen to some Beatles lyrics and Nightwish lyrics to see that.

I like that. "...poetry is actually a personal experience unlike prose." And I agree. I don't dislike poetry; I actually enjoy writing it very much. I don't like reading other peoples' poetry though, because its usually much harder to gather the meaning under the limited words that poet chose to use.

Part of the reason I tend not to read poetry is that I know that I'm missing the point when I read most poems. Maybe it's a lack of imagination, or I'm just a bit thick (don't all rush to agree, please!). Which is not to say that I dislike poems.

To give an example of what I mean; I've read most of Shakespeare's sonnets. Didn't do a lot for me. Then I heard sonnet 18 (Shall I compare thee to a summers day) read out in a film. Suddenly, It made complete sense to me!

My biggest problem comes with stuff like "This is just to say" by William Carlos Williams.

Yes, It's clever - but isn't it just a post it note? By the same token a text message to me wife saying "Bus broken down/walking home/ice-cream melting in bag/LOL xx" should be a winner!

I'm being facetious, I know. I do live in hope that one day it'll all make perfect sense to me, as I really do feel that I'm missing out by just not getting it.

Ian

• 1 month later...

I don't dislike poetry, I've never really taken my time to read any and wouldn't really know where to start.

I enjoyed what poetry I did study during school, and actually liked the whole dissecting verses/discussion as it helped my gain a better understanding of the meanings behind them.

I wouldn't rule out giving poetry a go sometime in the near future, but I've got several books currently waiting to be read :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to admit I do love poetry when it has been explained to me, so definitely have favourite poets and poems amongst the material I covered at school. But having said that, I have given new poetry (meaning poetry that I didn't know already from class) a try, and I just can't seem to get into it, I get frustrated when I don't understand the hidden meanings.

• 2 weeks later...

I am no big fan of poetry because I just don't understand much of them. I feel like the biggest numbskull reading poetry, sitting like a huge questionmark wondering what the heck I just read. It may sound beautiful, but my frustration of not getting it is just too big.

I need someone to explain a poem for me to understand, and that just takes away the "fun". And even though someone explains a poem, who's to say their analysis is the correct one? It's all too confusing for me. Even in my own language! I just don't get it.

Edited by emelee