C.J.Sansom

green

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read DISSOLUTION and really enjoyed it, just like I had WINTER IN MADRID. Some of the reviews compare it to THE NAME OF THE ROSE,as it seems impossible to write a detective plot set in a monastery if you are not compared to Eco !!! But strangely enough, DISSOLUTION reads better than the one afore mentioned as it doesn't lavish in a pompous language only Eco understands.

It's an interesting historical novel for those who are not particularly familiar with Tudor England and the Reformation; interestingly enough it makes you want to read more about that period.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Dissolution and thought it was terrific. In a way, I read it at the right time, because I only recently read Wolf Hall, so seeing Thomas Cromwell from another point of view was really interesting. I thought the central mystery worked well and kept me guessing. I'll be making a point of buying the other novels in the series pretty much immediately :)

Just finished Dissolution and thought it was terrific. In a way, I read it at the right time, because I only recently read Wolf Hall, so seeing Thomas Cromwell from another point of view was really interesting.

Thanks for the tip ! I might just get that one on my TBR list for later, after I read the whole series then. Is that one as well documented?

Thanks for the tip ! I might just get that one on my TBR list for later, after I read the whole series then. Is that one as well documented?

Even moreso, probably. There's a thread about it here: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4739-wolf-hall-by-hilary-mantel/

and you can read an excerpt here: http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Hall-Novel-Hilary-Mantel/dp/0312429983/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282633056&sr=8-1#reader_0312429983

I bought the rest of the Shardlake novels yesterday, although I'm not going to read them all at once. If they're all as good as Dissolution I kind of want to make them last a while and savour them :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone read Sansom's historical novels which began with Dissolution and are set in the times of Henry VIII? I picked up Revelation in a charity shop recently. The synopsis makes me think these books are historical thrillers played out with factual history as a fascinating background.

I've just finished reading Dissolution and found it slow going to start with but then really started enjoying it as I got to the halfway mark. So much so I was 15 mins late back from my lunch hour on Friday :) Am planning on getting more but only when I have made inroads through my TBRs :)

Just finished Dissolution and thought it was terrific. In a way, I read it at the right time, because I only recently read Wolf Hall, so seeing Thomas Cromwell from another point of view was really interesting. I thought the central mystery worked well and kept me guessing. I'll be making a point of buying the other novels in the series pretty much immediately :)

I've read the first three, have Revelation on order right now. I love the series, they get better and better as far as I am concerned.

• 1 month later...

I'm reading my way through the whole series again as I've just got 'Heartstone' (on my Kindle) but wanted to refresh my memory of the others before I read it. I am just starting 'Revelation'.

I agree with the comments above, it is a jolly good series of books and I look forward to more of them in time.

I read Dissolution for the first time a few months back, thoroughly enjoyed it :) Being a history geek and a lover of mysteries, it has everything I want from a novel.

I don't know why I haven't read the rest yet. So many books and so little time, I guess!

• 1 month later...

I have read Sovereign and Revelation. And thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Though Sovereign for me though personally, is my favourite so far. As I rather enjoy conspiracy. Revelation has a fantastic quality of really connecting history with modern times. It makes the period feel like a more lawless reality of the world we live in today.

Indeed the Tudor period is credited by many historians as being the birth of modern England. It's a testament to the talent of writer who can make a book operate on so many levels seamlessly.

At the risk of going OT, has anyone here read Steven Saylor's Gordianus books, set in ancient Rome? I've only read the first one, Roman Blood, and it was very similar to Sansom's novels in terms of weaving real-life characters and history into a murder mystery. There's twelve books in the series so far.

Steven Saylor - Roma Sub Rosa series

Roman Blood

At the risk of going OT, has anyone here read Steven Saylor's Gordianus books, set in ancient Rome? I've only read the first one, Roman Blood, and it was very similar to Sansom's novels in terms of weaving real-life characters and history into a murder mystery. There's twelve books in the series so far.

Steven Saylor - Roma Sub Rosa series

Roman Blood

I have a couple in the stack, haven't gotten to them yet, but I have high hopes. From the few pages I did manage at purchase time, the sense of humor is healthy too. :cool:

I have a couple in the stack, haven't gotten to them yet, but I have high hopes. From the few pages I did manage at purchase time, the sense of humor is healthy too. :cool:

The one I read was excellent. I'll be interested to hear what you think :)

• 7 years later...