C.J.Sansom

green

Has anyone read Sansom's historical novels which began with Dissolution and are set in the times of Henry VIII? I picked up Revelation in a charity shop recently. The synopsis makes me think these books are historical thrillers played out with factual history as a fascinating background.

I read Dissolution a couple of months back and really enjoyed it. It is a murder mystery but does give you a sense of the time in which it is set. The main character is really likeable and before the end of the book you care for him and want to see him succeed. I picked up Revelation a few days ago and it is now sitting in my TBR pile.

C J Sansom is one of my all time favourites. These books give an excellent insight into how life may have been at that time. I've read all of them, Disslution, Dark Fire, Revelation and the latest Sovereign. Can't wait for the next one

Thanks for the thumbs-up for C.J! Look forward to reading his books,tho' they are half-way down the TBR list,but could jump 20+ places!:D Sounds like the old pop charts on Sunday nights!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Dark Fire yesterday out of a charity shop but it will be at the bottom of my TBR pile. This will give me chance to get the other books in the series although I have never read him hoe sounds interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought the whole series with a Christmas voucher. It is still sitting on the shelf waiting to be opened. I am keen to read them but just need to be in the right mood.

I don't know about the rest of the series, but in Dissolution it all takes place in a monastery on the south coast of England and it is your typical Christie recipe which I love (isolated place, suspects are all there, nobody comes in and out, all gather around for the solution, etc).

I picked up Dissolution a while back. I think I got about 100 pages into it but remember thinking it wasn't that great. Looking back now, I don't know why I thought that. I think I'll give it another go at some point - I guess it just didn't capture me.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read Revelation by C J Sansom? I saw it in a charity shop yesterday & nearly bought it, i checked it out on Amazon & it gets good reviews so i'm thinking of going back & getting it but just wondered what other people thought of it.

• 1 month later...
I've read the 1st two of Sansom's historical crime novels,Dissolution and Dark Fire,and can't recommend them enough! :friends0:

Totally agree. I've also finished Sovereign and Revelation and they are just as good if not better. Now I have to wait until September when Heartstone comes out :D. I miss Shardlake and his adventures.

It is amazing how the portrayal of Henry VIII in the novels has inspired me to really find out more about him. He was such a narcissitic figure.

I just entered a free competition for Heartstone to get a chance of a win for hubby as he has read a few. Check out website maybe you can enter too. I get emails from them via my card for the them.