Piercing by Ryu Murakami

Weave

Title of Book: Piercing

Name of Author: Ryu Murakami

Paperback: 192 pages

ISBN-10: 0747593132

ISBN-13: 978-0747593133

Synopsis ~

Every night, Kawashima Masayuki creeps from his bed and watches over his baby girl's crib while his child sleeps. But this is no ordinary domestic scene. He has an ice pick in his hand, and a barely controllable desire to use it. Deciding to confront his demons, Kawashima sets into motion a chain of events seeming to lead inexorably to murder...

This is the second book I have read by Ryu Murakami, the first one being ‘In the Miso Soup’, which I read last year and recommend highly.

‘Piercing’ tells the story of Kawashima Masayuki, a man who has recently become a father, a significant event in any man’s life but Kawashima has secrets he cannot share and his own demons to face.

‘Piercing’ is a very dark read, some parts will be upsetting for readers due to the abuse that Kawashima and Chiaki both suffer but the abuse plays a part in the story to show how lost both characters are and the reasons behind their actions.

‘Piercing’ stays with you after you finish it, you want to know what happens next for Kawashima and Chiaki but the ending is left open, so you make your own mind up.

A great read, although some parts are upsetting.

Rating: 9/10

5187J4WeTTL_SS500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll definitely have to have a look at this guy, Paula. I should have bought one yesterday (I went crazy in Waterstone's and bought 10 new books!), but became overwhelmed with all the goodness in there!

If you get the chance Mac, everyone, read some Ryu Murakami, I also have 'Audition' on my TBR list and I am really looking forward to reading it.

He is a very dark write, fantastic insights of the underbelly of Tokyo :she: