I think it's a great book! One of my favourites :blush:

#42 Maureen

Maureen

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

I read this a while back - prob 2 yrs ago now - but it is one of the books I still remember. The story is, perhaps, predictable,(I think this is aimed at young adults) but also quite touching. It is also a book which is read quite quickly - so perfect for those 'losing the reading mojo' periods everyone gets from time to time! :blush:

#43 rwemad

rwemad

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

I loved The curious incident and plan on re-reading it soon but tried A spot of bother a while back and never really got into it. Is it worth giving it another go?

Well I preferred it to the first.

I don't think I found it hard to get into though. I don't think it's one of those 'need to perservere through the first few pages' books iykwim. So I'm guessing if you weren't keen... you just weren't keen.

Some we like, some we don't.:blush:

#44 leah86

leah86

Bibliophile

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

Yes i have to agree with,i thin k,the minority? I just couldn'tget into The Curious Incident.. I also read A Spot of Bother and did like it.. The story had no great depth as such and didn't really go anywhere,but i thought it was quite humourous and good for a quick light read.

#45 Cadenza

Cadenza

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

I really enjoyed this book. I think it is one of those books that you can keep re-reading - and I have several times.

#46 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

I've only read this one, and I thought it was okay, interesting format

#47 Dimitra

Dimitra

Addicted!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

I just realized I've read this book! But, you know, since it was translated, I didn't understand it. I read about a year ago and I think it was a very good book, I enjoyed it very much. I liked very much the way that the writer handled and presented the story

#48 atticjnr

atticjnr

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

I have read this book 3 or 4 times and think its one of my all time favourites. I fell in love with the main character, felt alot for his dad and just thought the whole idea of how the novel was written was brilliant.
I have reccomended it to a whole load of friends and family and lent them it and it was about half of them who completely loved and understood it and half who were abit like, "how is this a novel?" but yeah, I absoloutly love it.

#49 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan
  • LocationKent

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

I haven't read this book, neither is it on my TBR list but I am baffled by the title as it's taken straight out of a Sherlock Holmes book (The Silver Blaze), any correlation between the two?

#50 atticjnr

atticjnr

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

There is a loose connection between the two as the main character, the boy with Aspergers, loves murder mystery novels especially Sherlock Holmes ones. And the book is basically a murder mytery with a difference!

#51 Kimmy619

Kimmy619

Team Cullen

• Advanced Member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

I love this book so much! I must give it a re-read once I have got through the rest of my TBR pile. I liked his other book, A Spot of Bother too.

#52 Stephanie2008

Stephanie2008

Live, Laugh, Love

• Advanced Member
  • 5,003 posts
  • Reading now?:Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
  • LocationNewcastle, Eng.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

I still haven't got around to reading this. I think I have misplaced my copy. Will have to try and find it :mrgreen:

#53 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,251 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

I started reading this today and am really enjoying it so far (certainly more than I enjoyed A Spot of Bother). It's a quick read, and very charming. :mrgreen:

#54 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:24 AM

I enjoyed Dog FAR more than Bother - it's a much better novel in every way (imo). I gave Dog10/10, whereas Bother only got 7/10 from me.

#55 Purple Princess

Purple Princess

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Reading now?:The Silkworm
  • LocationCo Durham

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:22 AM

I bought this on Saturday to take on holiday with me. I've read Bother and quite liked it so judging by this thread I should enjoy Dog even more :mrgreen:

#56 Kimmy619

Kimmy619

Team Cullen

• Advanced Member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

I enjoyed Dog FAR more than Bother - it's a much better novel in every way (imo). I gave Dog10/10, whereas Bother only got 7/10 from me.

I agree Kell, but Bother is still a good read if you want a chuckle.

#57 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,251 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few laughs, but overall it was sadder than I expected. I've been wanting to learn more about Aspergers for some time, and this book provided some great insights.

I loved the character of Chris and really felt for both him and his father. A top read and recommended to anyone who hasn't read it (I don't think there are many BCF members left who haven't read it!) :mrgreen:

And, as I suspected, I enjoyed it much more than A Spot of Bother.

#58 Kimmy619

Kimmy619

Team Cullen

• Advanced Member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

I think that it is nice as both books are very different from each other.

#59 jewell

jewell

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

I bought this book about two years ago and a friend asked to borrow it before i'd had a chance to read it. I stupidly let them, and they lost it. I've been thinking about buying it again but every time i do i feel really insensed at the idea of buying it a second time. I'm sure it's one of those books thats absolutley worth it. And the way it is written seems right up my street, with an unusual approach.

I mainly bought it because i found out the story was written in the first-person perspective by a boy with Austism/Asbergers Syndrome. I have an interest in this as i have a family member with the latter.

#60 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:33 AM

I bought this book about two years ago and a friend asked to borrow it before i'd had a chance to read it. I stupidly let them, and they lost it. I've been thinking about buying it again but every time i do i feel really insensed at the idea of buying it a second time.

Your "friend" who lost it should have immediately replaced it! How rude of them not to do so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users