86 replies to this topic

#21 Acesare*

Acesare*

No Ordinary Fool

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

We did have a wee discussion on this book here.

I really enjoyed it. Such a simple book, yet remarkably touching. I really enjoyed :)

#22 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,441 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

We did have a wee discussion on this book here.

Let me see if I can merge them....

#23 William

William

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

I have to say I really enjoyed this book, as I have AS myself, it was interesting to see how the book portrayed Christopher and how his actions were interpreted. I was reading it to my sister during a holiday and couldn't put it down! I ended up reading it in my own time too and then going back and reading to her where we had got to together.

Definitely on my list to re-read next year. :mrgreen:

#24 Heather

Heather

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationBurghead Moray Scotland

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

I am reading this book at the molment and I am enjoying the book soo far and look forward to readingh the rest of the book.

#25 Jo-Bridge

Jo-Bridge

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

I really enjoyed this book- funny and moving as well. It really helped you to see things from the perspective of someone with Aspergers.

My partner loves this as well and he rarely reads fiction.

#26 Ruth

Ruth

Mega Bibliophile

• Advanced Member
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:31 AM

I read it last year. I'm afraid it did irritate me and I could not understand all the rave reviews it was getting. Each to their own of course! It didn't stop me buying A Spot of Bother though (yet to be read).

#27 Nellie

Nellie

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

I really enjoyed The Curious Incident, I thought it enabled the reader to get some understanding of what it is like to have AS.

I didn't enjoy A Spot Of Bother at all.
Spoiler

#28 Heather

Heather

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationBurghead Moray Scotland

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

[quote name='Nellie']I really enjoyed The Curious Incident, I thought it enabled the reader to get some understanding of what it is like to have AS[quote]

Edited by Heather, 27 November 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#29 hume

hume

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

Let me add my voice to the chorus of praise. An exceptional book that any and all audiences will enjoy. A literary masterpiece.

I'll stop now or I'll run out of superlatives. :lol:

Edited by Kell, 02 February 2009 - 12:36 PM.
Inserted ALL the capitals!

#30 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

I loved this book, read it twice and I definitely wouldn't mind reading it again :lol:

#31 rwemad

rwemad

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

I loved this book too. :mrgreen:

I also enjoyed the other one A Spot of Bother... in fact I think I enjoyed it more. Definately recommend it.

#32 Chimera

Chimera

Book Backpacker

• Advanced Member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

I also enjoyed the other one A Spot of Bother... in fact I think I enjoyed it more. Definately recommend it.

I loved The curious incident and plan on re-reading it soon but tried A spot of bother a while back and never really got into it. Is it worth giving it another go?

#33 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,994 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

I really enjoyed The Curious Incident, I thought it enabled the reader to get some understanding of what it is like to have AS.

Interesting. This book just became a must-read for me. According to wiki, the author writes on the condition having worked with austistic kids. Closest you can get, I suppose, without having it.

#34 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,423 posts
  • Reading now?:Every Second Counts by Sophie McKenzie
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

I loved The curious incident and plan on re-reading it soon but tried A spot of bother a while back and never really got into it. Is it worth giving it another go?

Same for me I am thinking of given A Spot of Bother another chance.

#35 Jo-Bridge

Jo-Bridge

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

Same for me I am thinking of given A Spot of Bother another chance.

Me as well! Have just got it from my TBR pile!

#36 BookBee8

BookBee8

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

I read this book over a year ago (I think) and I can't actually remember much about it. That usually means for me that it's nothing spectacular but I think I might give it another go from reading everyone's else's thoughts on it!

#37 LaineyW

LaineyW

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

I agree with lots of what's been said in this thread. I have worked with children with Autism and Aspergers for several years so, obviously, I was interested to read this book.
I agree that Mark Haddon isn't necessarily the greatest writer in the world but, in my opinion, he managed to create a pretty accurate insight into the world through the eyes of someone with this syndrome..
As far as it being an adult book, I think that it kind of bridges the gap between what is a childrens book and what is an adults.
I got my son to read it when he was 10 and he didn't really enjoy it that much. Now he is 12 and has just read it again and he got a lot more from it. He was more ready to take on board what was going on and embraced the difference in thought processes that was being highlighted.

It isn't a literary masterpiece but what it has done is bring some of the issues around Autism/Aspergers to the fore and that can only be a positive thing, right? That's one of the roles that literature plays in our lives and I applaud Mark Haddon for it.

#38 bethany725

bethany725

Flying Backwards

• Advanced Member
  • 1,580 posts
  • Reading now?:The House I First Believed -Wally Lamb
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

I'd never heard of this book until I joined this forum, and I keep seeing things about it here, almost every day! I'm going to add it to my "Look Up" list on my TBR list. I was a Psych major in college, so touched a little on many of the developmental disorders, so this could be interesting to me. :blush:

#39 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,994 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

I know a lot about Aspergers in particular. Due to my eccentric personality I took a lot of tests for it when I was younger. So I got this book, and I think I may make it my last January read.

#40 Chimera

Chimera

Book Backpacker

• Advanced Member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

I'd never heard of this book until I joined this forum, and I keep seeing things about it here, almost every day! I'm going to add it to my "Look Up" list on my TBR list. I was a Psych major in college, so touched a little on many of the developmental disorders, so this could be interesting to me. :blush:

Oh, you really should look it up then! Really worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users