Kell

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

87 posts in this topic

I love this book so much! I must give it a re-read once I have got through the rest of my TBR pile. I liked his other book, A Spot of Bother too.

I still haven't got around to reading this. I think I have misplaced my copy. Will have to try and find it :D

I started reading this today and am really enjoying it so far (certainly more than I enjoyed A Spot of Bother). It's a quick read, and very charming. :D

I enjoyed Dog FAR more than Bother - it's a much better novel in every way (imo). I gave Dog10/10, whereas Bother only got 7/10 from me.

I bought this on Saturday to take on holiday with me. I've read Bother and quite liked it so judging by this thread I should enjoy Dog even more :D

I enjoyed Dog FAR more than Bother - it's a much better novel in every way (imo). I gave Dog10/10, whereas Bother only got 7/10 from me.

I agree Kell, but Bother is still a good read if you want a chuckle.

I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few laughs, but overall it was sadder than I expected. I've been wanting to learn more about Aspergers for some time, and this book provided some great insights.

I loved the character of Chris and really felt for both him and his father. A top read and recommended to anyone who hasn't read it (I don't think there are many BCF members left who haven't read it!) :D

And, as I suspected, I enjoyed it much more than A Spot of Bother.

I think that it is nice as both books are very different from each other.

I bought this book about two years ago and a friend asked to borrow it before i'd had a chance to read it. I stupidly let them, and they lost it. I've been thinking about buying it again but every time i do i feel really insensed at the idea of buying it a second time. I'm sure it's one of those books thats absolutley worth it. And the way it is written seems right up my street, with an unusual approach.

I mainly bought it because i found out the story was written in the first-person perspective by a boy with Austism/Asbergers Syndrome. I have an interest in this as i have a family member with the latter.

I bought this book about two years ago and a friend asked to borrow it before i'd had a chance to read it. I stupidly let them, and they lost it. I've been thinking about buying it again but every time i do i feel really insensed at the idea of buying it a second time.

Your "friend" who lost it should have immediately replaced it! How rude of them not to do so!

I couldn't get into this book - it felt too forced. Might give it another go at some point but as someone who knows people with Aspergers, (who are admittedly mostly high-functioning) I still thought it was too forced.

i really relatye to this book - I was diagnosed dome years back with a very mild form AS, so the way christopher acts i can readily empathise with. a point not to be forgetten is AS covers a range , I'm lucky as its mild e,g I dont interact well socilaly , prefer my own company. i didnt feel it was forced, buthen thats my experience

"The Curious Incindent of the Dog in the Night-time" is an amazing book. Normally, I am so sceptical about authors I've never heard about and I'm not a fan of modern Literature at all but this one is really cool. A friend of mine tried to blurb this book but I kept on ignoring it till I heard the title. I find it so attractive :D. But I haven

I loved this book when i read it but my mum tried to read it but she just coun't

I really enjoyed this book, but at times i did find it exhasting to follow. For a couple of chapters i just seemed the writing was a little stressed (if that word makes any sense.). But i felt this was in keeping with what the author was trying to get across.

I loved this book when i read it but my mum tried to read it but she just coun't

My mother also tried this book but she couldn't get through the first chapter. No idea why, she is always a tolerant reader. She still can't understand why I was so crazy about it. :D

I tried to read this on holiday a couple of years ago, and I couldn't get further than the first chapter either. I don't know why, I even tried reading something else and starting it again, but I just couldn't read it.

I read this book a few years ago...my 21 year old son has Aspergers like the character in the book so I guess I could relate to the book better...having said that my partner read a chapter and put it down.......

I keep meaning to read this book ~ the title has always intriqued me. I think this thread has just bumped it up in the que a place or two for me ....thanks for the reccomadation. :D

Hi Bella - there's actually already a thread on this book here: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/415-the-curious-incident-of-the-dog-in-the-night-time-by-mark-haddon. I have to admit, I only managed to get about 20 pages in before giving up as it wasn't for me, however, I did read another book by the author which I really enjoyed. :)

It seems the two threads have been merged now. :)

I've been told about this book, it's been recommended to me on a couple of occasions, but I just never seem to get to actually read it. I'm going to read it one day, definitely.

Found this thread!

Just wanted to add to the discussion.

I read this book a couple of years ago - without knowing about Asperger Syndrome or the popularity of the book - and Christopher's narration had me involved from almost the first page.

The clinical thoughts, the unsaid implications, and his curious mind were endearing in a heartbreaking way.

Definitely one of the books I will re-read over the years.

I'm surprised that many youngsters enjoy this book - I'm not sure I had the emotional or intelligence quotient to do so before I was, say, at least twenty.

Read this book a few years ago. Oh my goodness, I loved it! Would recommend it to everyone! Really opened my eyes and was such a powerful story. Have to admit I did cry! But I tend to cry at a lot of books.