The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Kell

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed The Curious Incident, I thought it enabled the reader to get some understanding of what it is like to have AS.

I didn't enjoy A Spot Of Bother at all.

I felt that the wife got off rather lightly for what she did, and even though the husband was clearly in mental distress, I didn't really have much empathy for him either.

• 1 month later...

Let me add my voice to the chorus of praise. An exceptional book that any and all audiences will enjoy. A literary masterpiece.

I'll stop now or I'll run out of superlatives. :lol:

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

I also enjoyed the other one A Spot of Bother... in fact I think I enjoyed it more. Definately recommend it.

I loved The curious incident and plan on re-reading it soon but tried A spot of bother a while back and never really got into it. Is it worth giving it another go?

I really enjoyed The Curious Incident, I thought it enabled the reader to get some understanding of what it is like to have AS.

Interesting. This book just became a must-read for me. According to wiki, the author writes on the condition having worked with austistic kids. Closest you can get, I suppose, without having it.

I agree with lots of what's been said in this thread. I have worked with children with Autism and Aspergers for several years so, obviously, I was interested to read this book.

I agree that Mark Haddon isn't necessarily the greatest writer in the world but, in my opinion, he managed to create a pretty accurate insight into the world through the eyes of someone with this syndrome..

As far as it being an adult book, I think that it kind of bridges the gap between what is a childrens book and what is an adults.

I got my son to read it when he was 10 and he didn't really enjoy it that much. Now he is 12 and has just read it again and he got a lot more from it. He was more ready to take on board what was going on and embraced the difference in thought processes that was being highlighted.

It isn't a literary masterpiece but what it has done is bring some of the issues around Autism/Aspergers to the fore and that can only be a positive thing, right? That's one of the roles that literature plays in our lives and I applaud Mark Haddon for it.

I'd never heard of this book until I joined this forum, and I keep seeing things about it here, almost every day! I'm going to add it to my "Look Up" list on my TBR list. I was a Psych major in college, so touched a little on many of the developmental disorders, so this could be interesting to me. :blush:

I'd never heard of this book until I joined this forum, and I keep seeing things about it here, almost every day! I'm going to add it to my "Look Up" list on my TBR list. I was a Psych major in college, so touched a little on many of the developmental disorders, so this could be interesting to me. :blush:

Oh, you really should look it up then! Really worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

I read this a while back - prob 2 yrs ago now - but it is one of the books I still remember. The story is, perhaps, predictable,(I think this is aimed at young adults) but also quite touching. It is also a book which is read quite quickly - so perfect for those 'losing the reading mojo' periods everyone gets from time to time! :blush:

I loved The curious incident and plan on re-reading it soon but tried A spot of bother a while back and never really got into it. Is it worth giving it another go?

Well I preferred it to the first.

I don't think I found it hard to get into though. I don't think it's one of those 'need to perservere through the first few pages' books iykwim. So I'm guessing if you weren't keen... you just weren't keen.

Some we like, some we don't.:blush:

Yes i have to agree with,i thin k,the minority? I just couldn'tget into The Curious Incident.. I also read A Spot of Bother and did like it.. The story had no great depth as such and didn't really go anywhere,but i thought it was quite humourous and good for a quick light read.

• 3 months later...

I just realized I've read this book! But, you know, since it was translated, I didn't understand it. I read about a year ago and I think it was a very good book, I enjoyed it very much. I liked very much the way that the writer handled and presented the story

I have read this book 3 or 4 times and think its one of my all time favourites. I fell in love with the main character, felt alot for his dad and just thought the whole idea of how the novel was written was brilliant.

I have reccomended it to a whole load of friends and family and lent them it and it was about half of them who completely loved and understood it and half who were abit like, "how is this a novel?" but yeah, I absoloutly love it.

I haven't read this book, neither is it on my TBR list but I am baffled by the title as it's taken straight out of a Sherlock Holmes book (The Silver Blaze), any correlation between the two?