Please recommend books for a 5-y-o

snow

I would recommend any books by Grahame Base. He does the most beautiful illustrations. There's an alphabet one called Animalia and a charming mystery called The Eleventh Hour. He's done a few others as well, but I haven't read them yet. I recently bought the above two books so I could be transported back to my childhood. :D

• 3 weeks later...

"Dinotopia" by James Gurney and "Voyage of the Basset" by James C. Christensen are imaginative, adventurous, superbly illustrated tales of travels, magical creatures, &tc. They both have a hefty number of sequels (particularly "Basset"); I have only read the originals but if your daughter likes those and wants more of the same, it's there.

There is a book we read in pre-school called The Hungry Hen which is quite popular. Or look out for Tiddler (which is by the same author as The Gruffalo) I think they might be ok for her.

Kenny, I;m not sure if the Eragon series are suitable for a five-year-old :blush:

He didn't read the post properly and wasn't aware they were for a 5 year old he says.

Favourites in our house were Kate Morag stories by Marie Hedderwick. Simple stories and lot to look at in the pictures.

Favourites in our house were Kate Morag stories by Marie Hedderwick. Simple stories and lot to look at in the pictures.

I would agree with those.

• 8 months later...

The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende. I think. Has been ages since I read it, so I don't remember exactly how it reads, and I guess it depends on how forward your five year old is. (somehow I don't think forward is the right english word for this but I was kinda at a loss for words)

The story would have been suitable for me when I was 5. It does have some monsters and scary stuff in it, at least, I can imagine it being a little scary to a five year old. But a little. What is fun is, that if you have the proper editions, the print is in two colors, blue and red, one to describe the "real" world, and one for Fantasia.

But again, one five year old isn't the other, so if you check this out and think your daughter can read these, it's a lovely story. :lol:

I was looking after my five year old nephew a few weeks ago and I got the following from the library: -

The Three Little Pigs

Rumplestiltskin

The Pied Piper

Jack and the Beanstalk

They were illustrated stories and he really enjoyed them, especially the three little pigs. He was also able to read some of the words himself, so we were able to read it together.

Horrid Henry is always a good book to read to kids and does have some funny pictures.

Another one which is a lift and flap but my kids still love it now. Is there is a monster in my house.

The Dr Suess books are always hits, as is the Gruffallo which has already been recommended. Best thing really is to go into a book store and just look and see what you think they would like. Both of my kids were totally different. My oldest was and still is into scinece and was froma young age. My youngest however hated science loved cars the film and spiderman etc and for younger kids they have the marvel superhero series.

if the child likes graphic novels why not buy magazines. A lot of them now have comic strips in them. My kids have the Ben 10 alien force magazine that has comics within them and star wars.

The whole dora series is also a good idea, both Dora for girls and Diego for Boys.

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...