Alison Uttley

My favourite children's book was A traveller in Time by Alison Uttley. Its a story of a girl who stays with relatives and discovers she can travel through time, by slipping through a door or something in the house and meets up with a family, the Babingtons who previously lived in the house, in the reign of Elizabeth 1. I think her name was Penelope and she gets involved in the plots for/against the queen...hazy about the details.

I have been looking for a copy of this, but keep missing it on Ebay. Ottacars told me that its now out of print as are many of AU's books with no plans to reprint. Amazon have copies but I am not willing to pay

Thanks Bagpuss. I'll check Amazon out again. Last time I looked both Abebooks and Amazon only had expensive ones...no second hand. But of course it can change from day to day.

As a child I had borrowed the book from the library, so it shows what an impact it made on me. I hope I am not going to be disappointed when I read it again!

Susanna :wave:

Good luck!

I recently re-read all the Famous Five books and the Mallory Towers and the St Claire's books. They seemed soooo dated to me, but I still enjoyed them! I hope you enjoy your book, if you track it down. :lol:

• 7 months later...

..it sounds a little like another book, where there is a house with a concrete back yard and a grandfather clock, when the clock strikes the child goes out to the back yard to find a massive garden and a different time.. (or was this a television show?!?!) What was it called?! The secret garden? or is that the one with the sick child and the walled garden? hmmmm.... icon_confused.gif

My favourite children's book was A traveller in Time by Alison Uttley. Its a story of a girl who stays with relatives and discovers she can travel through time, by slipping through a door or something in the house and meets up with a family, the Babingtons who previously lived in the house, in the reign of Elizabeth 1. I think her name was Penelope and she gets involved in the plots for/against the queen...hazy about the details.

I have been looking for a copy of this, but keep missing it on Ebay. Ottacars told me that its now out of print as are many of AU's books with no plans to reprint. Amazon have copies but I am not willing to pay

..it sounds a little like another book, where there is a house with a concrete back yard and a grandfather clock, when the clock strikes the child goes out to the back yard to find a massive garden and a different time.. (or was this a television show?!?!) What was it called?! The secret garden? or is that the one with the sick child and the walled garden? hmmmm.... icon_confused.gif

I think you mean Tom's Midnight Garden by Phillipa Pearce - a truly lovely book. :D

The author died very recently, I believe.

PsP said

Thanks Janet! That's definately it, and I'm sure it was a childrens tv show too! I really enjoyed it if memory serves! ..and the secret garden
!

I was going to suggest The Moondial. That's another book on my TBR list. Need to find a copy. It was a childrens serialised drama and absolutely beautiful.

I found a traveller in time, and re read it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It remains one of my favourite books.

Wow! They must not have produced many. I was after the book, rather than the DVD. Just done a search and they have some paperbacks. So, as I will be buying my grandson some books for his birthday, I might just add a Moondial to the order...except they are the private sellers so it will add to the postage. Maybe I will have a look at Greenmet.

I loved the Traveller in Time, Tom's Midnight Garden, The Secret Garden, and Moondial scared me when I was a kid! My friend from uni actually has the DVD and we watched it a few years ago. Oh the memories!!

The Magic Faraway Tree books by Enid Blyton were among my favourites too.

Oh thanks for reminding me Slywaka1...I knew there was something I wanted to order when I sent off for Williams birthday books, and I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was...(The Moondial). I can understand why you would be scared of it, as there were some creepy bits. I will have to get the dvd, as it would be great to see it again.

I'm glad someone else loved the Traveller in Time too LOL

I loved the Traveller in Time, Tom's Midnight Garden, The Secret Garden, and Moondial scared me when I was a kid! My friend from uni actually has the DVD and we watched it a few years ago. Oh the memories!!

The Magic Faraway Tree books by Enid Blyton were among my favourites too.

I lived for the Magic Faraway Tree books when I was little. I bought them all, still have them somewhere. The Secret Garden is forever my all time favourite film. There is so much of me in Mary Lennox. I must get the book out and read it, and thanks for reminding me I loved Tom's Midnight Garden too.

I was a big Enid Blyton fan - got stuck in a reading loop with them when I was at Junior school - my mum was really concerned and asked the school to make me read more challenging books thinking I would never progress. Didn't work - I moved on when I was ready. One of my favourites was The Hollow Tree House and also The Land of Far Beyond.

The Hollow Tree House [/i]and also The Land of Far Beyond.

I *loved* The Land of Far Beyond. I didn't realise until I was an adult that it was based on 'A Pilgrim's Progress'.

I manged to get a copy of it recently in an antiques fair! It's a bit battered, but I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

I also managed to get a copy of the Alison Uttley book on Ebay, as recommended in this very thread, which arrived this morning. Yay!

Yeh! Well done Janet. I hope you enjoy it. :D

I seemed to have missed out on the Enid Byton ones you mention...The Magic Faraway Tree and The Land of Far Beyond. I don't know how that happened,as I was a great fan and never out of the library! Very strange. If I see them in my travels I will endeavour to pick them up.

I never read The Borrows, which is a shame. I think my children had some of the books, but I don't remember reading them either. I do remember seeing it on television though and loved it. Ian Holme (I think) being the main character. I loved the series. Might try and get a DVD of it and watch again. Thanks for mentioning it, Anna. I'm pleased Traveller in Time was your Mums favourite too...maybe I a not so odd after all :lol:

• 2 weeks later...