Terry Pratchett

Michelle

I've read it and enjoyed it, though not quite as much as I did the other two Tiffany Aching books (though I'm not sure why). It was very good, but didn't make such an impression on me as the others. I think it'll be interesting to see if he does any more Tiffany books as I think she's a great character - I think she's very like Granny Weatherwax must have been as a young girl - veryunconventional and knowing full well that she knows best, even when the grown-ups think otherwise.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband is a really big fan of Terry Pratchett, I had never of him until my husband gave me a copy of 'Witches Abroad' and I have been hooked ever since. :friends0:

My sister and I are fans of the Discworld series and my mother has decided to give the first one - The Colour of Magic - a go. I don't think she likes it much, though, but she's determined to finish it so she can say she has read one.

My sister and I are fans of the Discworld series and my mother has decided to give the first one - The Colour of Magic - a go. I don't think she likes it much, though, but she's determined to finish it so she can say she has read one.
The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic (the 1st two) are my least favourites in the entire series (in fact, I don't rate them at all), closely followed by Eric (very dull, in my opinion). If she doens't like the one she's reading, please do let her know that they get LOADS better!

Have you read any since then. Just curious. :D

No, I haven't - I'm just working my way through my TBR pile. I might try another one as I liked the idea of "Johnny and the Bomb", it just felt a little disjointed. My Dad has offered to loan me a couple of Pratchett's books, but it's all a little daunting - my Dad owns every (adult) book Pratchett's ever written and the pile's almost as tall as I am! :friends0:

The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic (the 1st two) are my least favourites in the entire series (in fact, I don't rate them at all), closely followed by Eric (very dull, in my opinion). If she doens't like the one she's reading, please do let her know that they get LOADS better!

:friends0:

I totally agree! I started with Mort, which was really good. Then I went back and read them in order, and I also found the first two the worst of the lot. On the whole, the series is wonderful! My favourites are the ones dealing with The Watch, and Going Postal. :D

We have told her that, that there are loads more she could try, but I don't think they're her kind of book, to be honest. She doesn't like sc-fi or fantasy books that have magic in them. She doesn't really like the idea that the world in on the back of a turtle. She's not really willing to give any more of them a go, I'm afraid.

(Although I have to say that I enjoyed the first two books and Eric.)

She doesn't really like the idea that the world in on the back of a turtle.

I guess that's a bit of a fundamental problem for liking the Discworld books then!

All these Pratchett recommendation's and not one mention of Strata or The Carpet People!

The Carpet People -

From the Back Cover

In the beginning there was nothing but endless flatness. Then came the Carpet ... That's the old story everyone knows and loves (even if they don't really believe it). But now the Carpet is home to many different tribes and peoples and there's a new story in the making. The story of the Fray, sweeping a trail of destruction across the Carpet. The story of power-hungry mouls - and of two Munrung brothers, who set out on an adventure to end all adventures when their village is flattened

It's a story that will come to a terrible end - if someone doesn't do something about it. It everyone doesn't do something about it ...

A hilarious fantasy co-written by Terry Pratchett, aged seventeen, and master storyteller, Terry Pratchett, aged forty-three.

Strata -

From the Back Cover

The Company builds planets.

Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After twenty-one decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilized plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard which reads 'End Nuclear Testing Now', doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth.

But then came a discovery of something which did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new ...

Frist published in 1981, Strata is an early exploration of the idea that was to become the best-selling Discworld series.

Neither of these books are discworld books as such, though Strata does introduce the concept of the disc world.

I'd also highly recommend the Audio versions of Pratchett's books, often narrated by Tony Robinson, if you're looking for the audio books don't get the abridged versions!

I'm sure I've mentioned The Carpet People somewhere here. It was the 1st book I read by Pratchett & was responsible for getting me hooked on him in the first place. What's especially impressive is that he wrote & had it published when he was just a teenager, then reworked it with a more mature mind when he was in his 40s. I wasn't soimpressed with Strata or Dark Side of the Sun though - I prefer his Discworld series by far.

• 9 months later...
(Making things easier for anyone searching.. :censored: )

Following on from this post, I decided to go for Mort.. well, in fact, I went for the Death Trilogy. I've started the first few pages, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. It seems to have my sort of humour. :pizza:

Mort is a good humourous read :lol:

I go for the Death and Rincewind books mainly, as I find them the funniest

tris

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have it yet, but I suspect Dale will be getting it for me at Xmas. I didn't get it for my birthday as everyone thought everyone else was gettnig it for me! :D

I would think it's better to receive multiple copies of a book than no copies at all. :006:

When I bought The Last Continent from a second-hand bookshop recently, the shop owner showed me a large collection (not sure if it was complete) of brand new Pratchetts that she had just received. She was debating whether to sell them as one big collection, or individually. I might need to take another trip to that shop soon to see what she has decided, then see whether it's too expensive to ask for them for Christmas :welcome:

Update: Well, it wouldn't be so expensive for someone to buy them for me now that I've just knocked a few more off the list. I went out at lunch to look in a cheap book shop and found 3 Discworlds (I've never seen them in that shop before!).