Terry Pratchett

Michelle

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Rincewind books (I have a soft-spot for him!) and the Witches books, and have read more of those than any of the others. I think I would like them all though!

Most recently I have read the childrens ones - Tiffany is definitely one of the strongest characters from these. Wee Free Men is really amusing.

• 1 month later...
Jo, I think everyone has their favourites. I would say Mort, because I loved that one. But then again, I've only read a few! hehe

yin/yang, welcome to the forum. :)

Shame, shame. How can you only read a few. :shock: :cry:

I really love them all.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed them all, but the Rincewind ones are probably my least faves. I started with Mort, and then read the rest in order. IMO, the first two aren't as good as the rest, so anyone who starts at the beginning, please don't be put off! My faves are the City Watch books and Going Postal.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one! Though I still feel that the first two books are not as good as the rest. Mrstrecool: I wish I was just starting Pratchett for the first time - all those excellent books ahead of me! :D

Oh, I loved Pyramids! Johnny and the Dead is still on my TBR pile. The ones I can't get into is the Truckers/Diggers/Wings series, and I didn't think much to Only You Can Save Mankind.

For those of you who have never tried the Discworld novels, I found this wonderful guide to which order you should try reading them: http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/ReadingGuide.html

Bumping this up so some of the readers just starting Terry Pratchett books can get an idea where to start.

Oh, I loved Pyramids! Johnny and the Dead is still on my TBR pile. The ones I can't get into is the Truckers/Diggers/Wings series, and I didn't think much to Only You Can Save Mankind.

Nah, Pyramids was dull. I thought it was going to be an Assassin's romp and it ended up being something else. The Truckers series is heavy going but enjoyable. Only You Can Save Mankind is okay and is probably the best of the Johnny Maxwell series.

• 4 weeks later...
For those of you who have never tried the Discworld novels, I found this wonderful guide to which order you should try reading them: http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/ReadingGuide.html
This has now been updated to include all the more recent additions & can be found here: http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/gfx/readingorder.jpg

This has now been updated to include all the more recent additions & can be found here: http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/gfx/readingorder.jpg

Wow, that is an excellent chart of the Pratchett books. The only part that puzzles me are those designated "Young Adult". I am an old, old, geezer and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Of course there is a member that was banned from here that would call me immature for reading such dribble. :)

Is the Truckers/Diggers/Wings set something to do with the Discworld series, or is it completely different? I'm not sure what they are about. Are they any good?

They are nowt to do with the Discworld and instead revolve around a group of "Nomes". Imagine a funny version of the Borrowers.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Discworld novel was Mort, and i absolutely loved it. Haven't even thought about it in years. In fact i'm going to go and start re-reading it right now!

p.s. i got a copy of 5th Elephant signed a few years ago, and Terry wrote "with respect and Garlick". This has always confused me, and I just assumed he was being deliberately surreal. Part of me has always wondered however, if i was simply missing the joke. If this makes sense to anyone who knows Discworld/Pratchett novels better than me, please let me know.

• 2 months later...