Terry Pratchett

Michelle

If I'd gone by the covers, I never would have got into Pratchett at all, because I HATE the Josh Kirby covers they used to all have. I much prefer the Paul Kidby ones or the new black and white photo ones. Actually, if they would do the black and white photo ones in hardback, I'd replace my entire collection with them, as I like them so much - they look so classy!

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the black and white covers they are doing now (though I don't own any of them) but the Josh Kirby covers were a big part of a new Pratchett novel for me and I think the covers have been pretty bland and ordinary since his death (plus, they make for a more colourful bookshelf!).

@vinay87

I'm like you. I started with The Colour of Magic and only bought it on a whim in a second hand book shop because I liked the look of the covers. From then on, I was hooked and am still reading the Discworld novels all the time. I have so many of the Discworld and non-Discworld books of his, but still haven't got them all though :D

You should try reading all the 'Death' books. Death is a brilliant character. The City Watch books are brilliant too.

lol I picked up Wyrd Sisters as a result of my teenage kleptomania. Does DEATH come in that? God knows I want to read Pratchett only for DEATH.

:roll:

I'm not 100% sure, I read Wyrd Sisters a while ago now but I loved the whole Shakespearean parodies throughout too :D

I've only just discovered the Watch books and I'm sort of hooked as I was planning to read Guards! Guards! and then a few non-fantasy books I have on the TBR shelf, but after Vimes, Carrot and Nobby had charmed me, I had to move onto the next Watch book and I think there are about 7 now so it might be a while before the planned 'TBRs' get touched!

I think Death appears, however briefly, in all the books, actually. It might just be a passing mention in some of them, but I'm pretty certain he's present in person in them all...

I'm on the second, Men At Arms, at the moment and I'm not quite halfway through but it is brilliant!

I keep meaning to write out a list of all the Pratchetts I currently have so I can work out which ones I still need. I'm sure I almost have all of them!

To tie in the Death talk and the Watch talk, if you are a fan of Death there is a small cameo of his in Men At Arms which made me laugh out loud. When the Dwarf Bjorn Hammerhock (I think that's his name) is killed, and Death tries to make a joke...

It's genius.

Edited by atticjnr
added something

Nightwatch is superb. His best one, I think. I loved Vimes as a character anyway but NW just fills out his character so well. And the characters of the other guards. Loved that book.

I've also avoided all the adaptations because I know what the characters look and sound like in my head.

Ken Stott is definitely Vimes though.

I was not overly impressed with either of The Mob productions of Discworld novels, but I am still hopeful that they will have done better with Going Postal. Fingers crossed!

Guest velocipede2288
Fingers crossed indeed - before my copy went missing I was enjoying Going Postal immensely; Moist was an instant favourite of mine so I really hope they treat him well.

Just finished Going Postal. As funny as all the rest of the disk world books. Great imagination and very funny.

I love all the Watchmen series, especially Vimes and his long suffering ways, but for just well written laugh out loud characters Nobby and Nanny Ogg, people you know must exist somewhere and aren't sure if you would like to meet.

I have just read one i hadn't seen before about a new witch a young one from the 'chalklands' something about winter i think not as good as the trad witch ones but not bad..can't remember the full title sorry.

Just finished Unseen Academicals, very good! (review up soon).

Did anyone see Terry giving the Dimbleby Lecture this evening? I was still reading and missed it, but I intend to catch it on iPlayer at some point.

yes and glad i did. I've never read any of his books but am now definitely a fan of the man. I'm off to search on the forum now for his books, Discworld I think it was.

Edited by Ernie
I'll start with this thread then doh!