Terry Pratchett

Michelle

the-hogfather.jpg

Synopsis from terrypratchett.co.uk:

IT'S THE NIGHT BEFORE HOGSWATCH. AND IT'S TOO QUIET.

Where is the big jolly fat man? Why is
Death creeping down chimneys and trying to say Ho Ho Ho? The darkest night of the year is getting a lot darker...

Susan the gothic governess has got to sort it out by morning, otherwise there won't
be a morning. Ever again...

The 20th Discworld novel is a festive feast of darkness and Death (but with jolly robins and tinsel too).

As they say: '
You'd better watch out...'

This has become my favourite Discworld novel. I love the Death novels, especially if you add in the humour that is the Wizards. This is number 20 in the Discworld series and it is the Christmas novel.

In this book the Hogfather is in danger. The Auditors want to change things and get rid of the Fat Man. To keep him safe, Death has decided to pretend to be the Hogfather to keep the belief alive. And while this is going on, Susan, Death's granddaughter is fighting a man who is controlling children through teeth.

Pratchett's imagination is genious in this book. I loved Susan and the poker - a great way to deal with monsters and it added to a nice finale in the book. Death made me laugh all the way through. I especially liked it when he gate-crashed the shopping mall and his pigs urinated on the floor. I just laughed everytime a child mentioned it.

This book is full of humour and action. We see a lot of the Discworld and a range of characters. Pratchett throws in Susan, Death and the Wizards, tooth fairies and the assassins.

I was gripped from the beginning, laughing most of the way through and was eager to be reading it when I wasn't. I have no complaints of this book and it is definately my favourite. I loved the plot, the characters and I love the way Pratchett writes. He is always descriptive, he writes great events and just keeps the reader wanting more.

10/10

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, firstly may I start with an apology! I know that there will be loads of info on Terry Pratchett books, but to be honest, I didn't really fancy looking through thousands of threads, so here goes...

what is this disc works all about ?

are they different to the books ? or is it books in audio ?

could anyone suggest a book to start with ?

thanks !

Lisaxx

The Discworld novels are all books set on a world that is flat as a pancake and carried on the back of 4 elephants who stand on the shell of a giant turtle called Gret A'Tuin. THere are well over 30 books set on the discworld now, but most of them can be broken into sub-sets, or series within the series. The "sub-sets" are:

Witches

Rincewind/Wizards

City Watch

Death

Industrial Revolution

Ancient Civilisations

FOr a list in publication order, see HERE.

For a chart showing the various sub-sets (not right up to the most recent novels though), see HERE.

The Discworld does reflect the "Round World" in that various places/people resemble those on our world (Ankh Morpork is a mix of ELizabethan London and New York, the continent of XXXX is Australia, the Counterweight Continent is the Orient, etc). They are deeply satirical and incredibly funny and happen to be my favourite series of novels EVER. :friends0:

Edited by Kell

I wish I could Read Pratchett but I just cannot get through one chapter, I am not sure whether it is too intelligent for me or I just dont have that sort of humour. I cannot get into any of the films from his books either. It is my beiigest regret I cannot get into Terry Pratchett books

Beccles, which ones have you tried? I know from others that we don't all like the same subsets etc, and I wondered if it was a matter of starting the 'right one'.

I have always loved the Witches and the Death books, over the others, and I adore his YA Tiffany Aching books that are set in the discworld universe and have a cross over with some of the witches that appear in other books.

I wondered if it was a matter of starting the 'right one'.
I would say, yes.

After a few failed attempts at getting into The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, I tried Soul Music (Death + Rock'n'Roll) and adored it; I haven't looked back since.

In general, I'm a Death/Witches/Industrial Revolution person, although I do enjoy the other subsets now that I've gotten a taste and a feel for the World of the Disc.

I've been completely unable to find a list that goes past Thud!/Where's My Cow?

However...

Making Money is part of the Industrial Revolution series and should come after Going Postal

Unseen Academicals is a Wizards/Rincewind novel and should come after The Last Hero*

I Shall Wear Midnight hasn't been released yet (2010) but will be part of the TIffany Aching series (Young Adult) and comes after Wintersmith.

* I've not read it yet (got it for Xmas) and it may turn out to involve the Watch or Death too, if so it could also be included after Thud!/Where's My Cow? and Thief of Time, but I think it's a WIzards book in the main.

Edited by Kell

For those of you who have never tried the Discworld novels, I found this wonderful guide to which order you should try reading them: http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/ReadingGuide.html

A wee bit out of date but still a great place to see some order in the Pratchett books and reading. A thanks to kell.

• 2 weeks later...

soul-music.jpg

Synopsis from www.terrypratchett.co.uk:

OTHER CHILDREN GET GIVEN XYLOPHONES. SUSAN JUST HAD TO ASK HER GRANDFATHER TO TAKE HIS VEST OFF.

Yes. There's a Death in the family.

It's hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe - especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy.

And
especially
when you have to face the new and addictive music that has entered Discworld.

It's lawless. It changes people.

It's called
Music With Rocks In

It's got a beat and you can dance to it, but...

It's
alive.

And it won't fade away.

As ever, I loved this Discworld book. It is number 16 in the series and features Death, C.M.O.T. Dibbler and the wizards. There is a revolution taking over....it is music with rocks in. Yet there is something magical about this music and it is taking over people's minds.

Well there is no doubt this is one of my favourite Discworld books. That said, I have enjoyed them all and recommend them all. Pratchett is a wonderful writer. He captures the reader's imagination, and using a unique writing style launches you into the wonder and humour that is the Discworld. I laughed a lot throughout this book at the British sarcasm, the dry wit and the general crazy goings-on that Pratchett conjures up. There is adventure and excitement in the book, and I don't remember one boring moment.

I loved Death in this book. It is small things like the sight of him on a motorcycle, or attempting to get drunk to forget. These are images that will stay with me a long time I think. I enjoyed how Pratchett got the wizards involved too. I have to laugh at Ridcully and the way he thinks and acts. And of course the Bursar with his dry frog pills.

I love the world conjured up by Pratchett and I have to say, this is a series I am addicted too. This was thoroughly enjoyable and well worth getting your hands on.

5/5

'Soul Music' was my first ever Discworld book (I had thought it was 'Equal Rites', but realised that was my second DW book). It was a wonderful introduction the Terry Pratchett's universe.

It is only now that I have read many other sthat I realise what a wonderful cross over book it was, with all the different DW characters such as the Wizards and Death. Lovely review Kate.

Looks a bit Elvish to me! :lol:

the-truth.jpg

Synopsis from www.terrypratchett.co.uk:

William de Worde is the accidental editor of the Discworld's first newspaper. Now he must cope with the traditional perils of a journalist's life � people who want him dead, a recovering vampire with a suicidal fascination for flash photography, some more people who want him dead in a different way and, worst of all, the man who keeps begging him to publish pictures of his humorously shaped potatoes.

William just wants to get at THE TRUTH. Unfortunately, everyone else wants to get at William. And it's only the third edition...

The Truth is Terry Pratchett's 25th Discworld novel.

This is an Industrial Revolution Discworld novel; number 25 in this wonderful series. These Industrial Revolution novels include Moving Pictures, which was a good read. This too, was a funny, enjoyable read. It is the start of the Ankh-Morpork newspaper, which is more sinister than it sounds, as people believe what they read to be truth and of course, someone is trying to frame Lord Vetinari for murder and the newspaper, led by William, is attempting to get the truth and print it.

I do enjoy the Industrial Revolution novels. This one made me laugh with all the "-ing" characters. The Watch feature in this book, and it made me laugh that Nobby is so peculiar to look at that William thought he was werewolf. Gaspode, the talking dog is also a key character and I love him and the way he manipulates humans.

This novel had attempted murder, competition and fire. There are great characters, and as ever, Pratchett writes a gripping novel that sucks you in and gets you hooks. He is descriptive, sarcastic and full of wit. If he can mock it, he does. He just makes me laugh and I do enjoy this series immensely. Although this is not one of my favourite novels I am yet to find a novel I didn't like. Like usual, I recommend this book and the whole series.

4/5

the-last-hero.jpg Synopsis from Waterstones:

A short but perfectly formed complete Discworld novel, fully illustrated in lavish colour throughout, THE LAST HERO is an essential part of any Discworld collection. It stars the legendary Cohen the Barbarian, a legend in his own lifetime. Cohen can remember when a hero didn't have to worry about fences and lawyers and civilisation, and when people didn't tell you off for killing dragons. But he can't always remember, these days, where he put his teeth ...So now, with his ancient sword and his new walking stick and his old friends -- and they're very old friends -- Cohen the Barbarian is going on one final quest. He's going to climb the highest mountain in the Discworld and meet his gods. The last hero in the world is going to return what the first hero stole. With a vengeance. That'll mean the end of the world, if no one stops him in time.

This is number 27 in the Discworld series and shorter than most because it is an illustrated novel. There is worry all around Ankh-Morpork's senior leaders: the heroes are going to challenge the gods. This could be the end of life as they know it. So the solution? Team up Rincewind the wizard and Captain Carrot of the City Watch and send them off in a flying contraption to save the day.

I have one word for this story: genius! The idea of Rincewind and Carrot together is awesome. Both make me laugh and both I enjoy reading about. Rincewind because of his ability to get himself in trouble and Carrot because he is so nice he can manipulate others into doing what he wants. This story also featured the wizards. And I love Ridcully. I love how he is the Arch-Chancellor yet knows nothing useful.

Like with all Pratchett's other novels, this is full of adventure and excitement; and of course Pratchett's dry humour. I love his writing style - how he draws you in and keeps you gripped right to the end. He thinks up wonderful storylines that compel you to read them. He is descriptive and has a wild imagination that he is willing to share, and I love stepping into the Discworld.

I think from this book there is one image I will take away with me: the sight of the elephants holding up the Discworld as Rincewind and Carrot fly past. That to me is just awesome.

As always, this was not a let down. I am truely addicted to this series and recommend them all to everyone.

4/5

One of the first things I'm going to do once I start working is buy his entire series. I have read the first three books: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites. I also read Wyrd Sisters. It was my first TP book and I read it about 10 years ago. I hope to own and read all his books someday soon.

@vinay87

I'm like you. I started with The Colour of Magic and only bought it on a whim in a second hand book shop because I liked the look of the covers. From then on, I was hooked and am still reading the Discworld novels all the time. I have so many of the Discworld and non-Discworld books of his, but still haven't got them all though :welcome:

You should try reading all the 'Death' books. Death is a brilliant character. The City Watch books are brilliant too.