Terry Pratchett

Michelle

Guest velocipede2288

I love Terry Pratchett, he is a laugh a minute.Very Humourous. I have eight of his Disk World books and have read several more from the library. They are books I can go back to when I need a chuckle.:)

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I haven't. I will look for them now

In order they are, 'Wee Free Men', 'A Hat Full Of Sky', 'Wintersmith', and apparently there's a fourth due out next year with the working title of 'I Shall Wear Midnight'.

Kate, I think you will love them. :)

In order they are, 'Wee Free Men', 'A Hat Full Of Sky', 'Wintersmith', and apparently there's a fourth due out next year with the working title of 'I Shall Wear Midnight'.

*Groan*

Whilst the Tiffany Aching books are good, he's not written a Witches novel since he started this series and I'd far rather have a Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat book than another one of these.

Yes, they're Discworld. They're a series within the series. They feature Granny Weatherwax, but star Tiffany Aching. They can be read alone, but if you have an inderstanding of the way the Witches of the Disc think, you'll enjoy them even more. :)

I too love Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. I think I've read most of them several times over and keep going back to them.

Unseen Academicals is great and I'm looking forward to the next Tiffany Aching book.

I've got Mort here somewhere, just cant seem to find it. Read it when I was about 13 so cant remember a great deal about it. Just started reading Truckers which, as I cant remember anything about Mort, must count as my first Terry Pratchett book, although not a discworld one. The humour is very clever, things like 'all' being burning water that lorries drink. Its also very clever that it is written for just about every age group, not easy to pull off.

I remember there being a really good point and click discworld game on the playstation 1 which I've been on the lookout for for a while. I've been told its worth some money now though

I remember there being a really good point and click discworld game on the playstation 1 which I've been on the lookout for for a while. I've been told its worth some money now though

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there was a PC port as well. I do know that a lot of old games (H2G2 and Sam & Max for example) are available to freely download around the net, but I'll have to check for the Discworld game.

They really couldn't have made much of an impression on me either, especially since I've blanked both from my memory. :) The TV adaptations didn't especially grab me either. It depends on the book, but most of Pratchett's work doesn't seem as if they were ever really intended to be transposed to other media. I like the books as they are - books.

I'm not a fan of the wizard books myself (especially the 1st two and Eric) but the rest of the books are all brilliant (and most of the wizard books are pretty good too, it's just those three I don't enjoy so much).

However, you CAN actually start at other points in the series if you know where to jump in. THere's a handy guide HERE.

It only goes up to October 2006, though, so it doesn't include Making Money (Industrial Revolution) or Unseen Academicals (Wizards), but they can be tagged onto the end of their respective threads.

My favourites are the Watch novels. :irked:

the-fifth-elephant.jpg

Synopsis from www.terrypratchett.co.uk:

SAM VIMES IS A MAN ON THE RUN. YESTERDAY HE WAS A DUKE, A CHIEF OF POLICE AND THE AMBASSADOR TO THE MYSERIOUS, FAT-RICH COUNTRY OF UBERWALD.

Now he has nothing but his native wit and the gloomy trousers of Uncle Vanya (don't ask). It's snowing. It's freezing. And if he can't make it through the forest to civilization there's going to be a terrible war.

But there are monsters on his trail. They're bright. They're fast. They're werewolves - and they're catching up.

The Fifth Elephant
is Terry Pratchett's latest instalment in the Discworld cycle, this time starring dwarfs, diplomacy, intrigue and big lumps of fat.

This is number 24 in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. This book features The Watch, vampires, were wolves and dwarfs. Again, Sam Vimes finds himself leaving Ankh Morpork to go to foreign parts. There is a dwarf coronation set to take place, but things are not right. There are murders, stolen scones, and Vimes gets himself arrested.

This was another enjoyable Discworld novel. Again, not one of my favourites but still a good read. There were times I found myself laughing out loud - especially in regards to the dwarf who made contraception, but there were times when I was losing concentration. One thing I love about Pratchett however is he always pulls me back in to the story. I found myself enjoying the fight scenes, laughing at the vampires and being annoyed at the were wolves.

I loved Vimes' wife Sybil. I think I laughed every time spoke - but I particularly liked her at the end when she got angry. I was sat cheering her on. I loved Captain Carrot too, and was really sad when he got hurt. And to have Colon in charge of the Watch was genius writing; but I did think Pratchett could have added in more Colon parts in the story.

I recommend all the Discworld books, and although this is not the best in my opinion I still enjoyed it and would recommend it. This is just an awesome series of books.

8/10

Saw Mr. Pratchett last night, and on fine form he was too!

There will be a podcast of it available from the Guardian Book Club web site shortly, though judging by the length of the others Terry must have gone on a good hour longer than everyone else, and was quite prepared to do more (he really seemed to like the wine!).

Saw Mr. Pratchett last night, and on fine form he was too! There will be a podcast of it available from the Guardian Book Club web site shortly, though judging by the length of the others Terry must have gone on a good hour longer than everyone else, and was quite prepared to do more (he really seemed to like the wine!).
Looking forward to that link - I had a ticket but couldn't go in the end, I'm sad I missed it but oh well... guess it means I'll just have to save up for the Discworld Convention 2010.