Terry Pratchett

Michelle

If you're going to do it properly start with the first one, The Colour Of Magic :friends0: And then go from there! Maybe join the secret book santa swap and put Pratchett on your wishlist?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get them from the library then :friends0:

I've just finished replacing my entire Pratchett collection - it's taken me 10 months but is so nice to see all the Discworld books lined up together again!

I know what that's like Fi!!

A few years ago, I moved onto a narrowboat, which required some major downsizing!! One of the things that went was my 'Discworld' collection', which I've rued to this day!! Am slowly building up the collection again, now I'm back on 'terra firma'. Can't live without Pratchett! My favourite??- 'Going postal'.

NN.

Maybe I will try that. Then next year, I could probably afford to buy four books a month in mass market paperback with amazon's 4 for the price of 3 deal. I can have will-power. I can, I can! :)

Which book should I read first?

The Discworld books also seem to appear in Waterstone's "3 for 2" offer fairly regularly (which slightly irks me now I can't take advantage of it as I have them all apart from whichever is the newest hardback of the moment!).

I agree that you should start with the first book. :)

Pratchett is a literary genius, my favourite book is any one that has Death in it somewhere . . . :welcome2:

Yeah I think he is the best character - very funny!

I'm listening to Jingo now - prefer it to Feet of Clay

Pratchett is a literary genius, my favourite book is any one that has Death in it somewhere . . . :welcome2:

I think he makes at least a cameo appearance in almost all of them - LOL! :)

Guardian Review Book Club with Terry Pratchett - Monday 14 December, King's Place, London.
Tickets booked, I'm already there :exc: what's poverty when one can meet Sir Terry?

I suppose that means I should fish Unseen Academicals out again... :tong: (a note in my defense: it wouldn't fit in the Luggage for my recent trip home)!

May I possibly interrupt with a request as to a Terry Prachett book containing the quote I currently have in my signature? (I think creating a thread in the "Looking for a book" section is perhaps a bit unneccessary, although if the mods prefered, I would do so). I found this quote together with others regarding Alice in Wonderland's Cheshire Cat and I'm just dying to know which book it's from.

Oh, said quote is: "Slowly, the grin disappeared, until nothing was left but the cat. This is nearly as scary as the other way around."

Not sure about the precise book but I know it refeers to Greebo, Nanny Ogg's cat, therefore it must be a Witches novel; it also sounds familiar, thererefore it's one I've read. That narrows it down to Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum.

Thank you, Bookjumper. I certainly don't mind having a look at all four - well, three, since I have read Carpe Jugulum and I'm almost sure the quote isn't from that one, although my memory could be failing me - of those. I'll have a few laughs along the way, trying to locate that specific phrase. Thank you! :tong:

• 2 weeks later...

Jingo

jingo.jpg

Waterstone's Synopsis:

Discworld goes to war, with armies of sardines, warriors, fishermen, squid and at least one very camp follower. As two armies march, Commander Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch faces unpleasant foes who are out to get him...and that's just the people on his side. The enemy might be even worse. "Jingo", the 21st in Terry Pratchett's phenomenally successful "Discworld" series, makes the World Cup look like a friendly five-a-side.

This is book 21 in the Discworld series and features the Watch. After finding an unoccupied area of land, Ankh-Morpork finds itself at war to claim this land - even though it is deserted and not particularly impressive. Everyone seems to have their own agenda and different ways of conquering and taking the land as their own.

I much preferred this book to the previous Watch book, Feet of Clay. I found the storyline more gripping and the characters amused me a lot more. The Watch are an amusing group of individuals - not all human, and they have many different talents. Carrot, the human raised as a dwarf always cracks me up. He is so sensitive and literal, and Detritus the troll was hilarious. Listening to him going "I'm gunna be thick" just made me laugh. His approach to politics - intimidate to get results amused me a lot.

I found this book back to Pratchett's high standard. His writing style whisked me off to the Discworld and took me on an adventure as the Watch fought for politics which I enjoyed. The book was funny, full of fantasy and adventure and an enjoyable read. I love this series and cannot get enough of it.

8/10

The Last Continent

the-last-continent.jpg

Waterstone's Synopsis:

It's the Discworld's last continent and it's going to die in a few days, except...Who is this hero striding across the red desert? Sheep shearer, beer drinker, bush ranger, and someone who'll even eat a Meat Pie Floater when he's sober. A man in a hat whose luggage follows him on little legs. Yes, it's Rincewind, the inept wizard who can't even spell wizard. He's the only hero left. Still...no worries, eh?

This has become one of my favourite Discworld books. It is number 22 in the series and features the Wizards - the Wizards on holiday in fact! While trying to find someone who knows about geography they stumble through an open window onto a hot island. This window closes and they are stuck. Meanwhile, Rincewind is loose and trying to escape from whatever it is he is expected to do, as usual.

I loved this book. There were moments in it that I was crying with laughter - such as when the wizards trying to explain sex to a god. The wizards just lack common sense and magic, and it was so funny reading about them on a desert island and their attempt to get back to Unseen University. And there is the fact that they are stuck on the island with a woman....they are like hormonal teenage boys - very funny. And of course Rincewind always makes me laugh. He manages to save everyone in all his adventures, but essentially he does this by running away and being scared; and drinking beer.

I really enjoyed this book and got through it very quickly. We get a visit from Death in the book too which always makes me laugh - his wit is hilarious. The book is full of adventure and humour, as well as gripping storylines - I really wanted to know if they wizards would make it back in an edible boat - and amazing descriptions. Without fail Pratchett always transports me to the Discworld with no trouble and I love it. This is highly recommended.

9/10

carpe-jugulum.jpg

Synopsis from www.terrypratchatt.co.uk:

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be priest. He thought he'd come to Lancre for a simple ceremony. Now he's caught up in a war between vampires and witches.

There's Young Agnes, who is
really
in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble.

And the vampires are intelligent. They've got style and fancy waistcoats. They're out of the casket and want a bite of the future. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.

Carpe Jugulum
is Terry Pratchett's twenty-third Discworld novel - but the first to star vampires.

As the synopsis says, this is the 23rd book in the Discworld series, and the stars of this book are the Witches. In this adventure they are fighting vampires - or vampyres as they wanted to be known as. These are modern vampires, who want to fit in with the population, until they need to fed of course. Influencing people with mind tricks they are set on domination. Except they picked a fight with Granny Weatherwax. Seemingly old and weak, how will Granny fight back?

I love the Witches novels. Nanny Ogg is my favourite. She has a vast collection of rude jokes and carries everything she could possibly need in her knickers. She is practical, blunt and just hilarious. I had to laugh at Agnes as well, with her second mind.

There is a lot of humour in this book. Pratchett is very good at writing books which make me laugh. I loved the idea of modern vampires and them learning how to become immune to things such as garlic. The Count and his enthusiasm made me laugh. Pratchett also writes a good adventure and great fight scenes. This book had me gripped and I finished in within a couple of days. I loved it. I laughed and cringed, enjoyed the characters, loved having vampires in the book and alongside Death, the Witches are my favourite Discworld characters. I have no complaints about this book. Top marks from me.

10/10