Terry Pratchett

Michelle

I remember laughing out loud as I read the line "he was eating a meat pie with no regards to personal safety". (That might be slightly wrong, but it stuck with me...)

Wasn't that about one of Dibbler's "meat" pies?!

I really enjoyed Equal Rites and Mort, but the book that really sealed it for me was Guards! Guards!

It's just occured to me that I have been reading Terry Pratchett books for over 20 years.

Ouch!

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too agree that Death is the best character out there

(my favorite quote of his being:

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it.

"CATS," he said eventually. "CATS ARE NICE."

:):D

(from Sourcery)

My very favorite Pratchett book is Thief of Time. Perhaps because it's the first book of his I have ever read, which makes it the book that introduced me to Pratchett's style :D The rest of them have probably been less of a surprise as I knew what to expect - that first one however has been utterly delightful.

As for The Colour of Magic, the best part for me was the dragons part. Wow. Great idea, great imagery.

• 2 weeks later...

Synopsis from Amazon:

'What shall we do?' said Twoflower.

'Panic?' said Rincewind hopefully. He always held that panic was the best means of survival. When the very fabric of time and space are about to be put through the wringer - in this instance by the imminent arrival of a very large and determinedly oncoming meteorite - circumstances require a very particular type of hero. Sadly what the situation does not need is a singularly inept wizard, still recovering from the trauma of falling off the edge of the world. Equally it does not need one well-meaning tourist and his luggage which has a mind of its own. Which is a shame because that's all there is...

This is a funny fantasy book which follows The Colour of Magic in the Discworld Series by Pratchett, and is possibly better! There were fights, crazy characters and some extremely funny one-liners. Although the second book in the series I think it is written in a way that means you could read it as a stand-alone book and still understand and follow the storyline, and still enjoy the book.

I love the way Pratchett writes, drawing you in and he is so descriptive and clever that you feel like you are really there. I had no trouble imagining the red star, the trolls or the luggage. He is a fascinating writer and I have found myself just wanting to read more of his work.

In this book my favourite character was either Cohan the Barbarian or the Luggage. Both were hunourous, the former with his attitude and one-liners and the latter with his presence and response to events.

My only complaint was that Death did not feature enough! I thought the ending was a bit sad but realistic. I just really enjoyed this book.

9/10

I have read the book ages ago and probably loved it (being written by Terry Pratchett, one of my favorite authors), but I don't seem to remember any single thing about it (even after having read the blurb and your review)

(I do remember a wee bit about Cohen, something like "he was a lifetime in his own legend" or something, but that's all there is to it :lol::) :) )

I SO hate it when that happens :):(

I bought 'The Colour of Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic' for my son for Christmas...Think I shall give them a go myself :)

Yes, you should definitely do this. These books are brilliant! Especially because of many great one-liners and the little imp in the iconograph :lol: (one of my favourite discworld characters so far)

Yes, you should definitely do this. These books are brilliant! Especially because of many great one-liners and the little imp in the iconograph :lol: (one of my favourite discworld characters so far)

Maybe I shall try and grab them before he starts to read them! :)

My first Pratchett book was Thief of Time (part of the Discworld series but further along, closer to 20th) -- I was absolutely stunned by his wit and humor. While I have read many other books of his (Discworld or not) and liked them and been amused by them, none other amazed me in the way Thief of Time did (perhaps because I now knew what to expect of Pratchett's style, of course).

Bottom line, if you think of getting into Pratchett, that is the very book I recommend. It did work for me :lol: (back when no one in my country, including myself, had never heard of him, so I had absolutely no idea who he might be, that he might be famous, that he might be appreciated, that sort of thing)

Later edit: the interesting thing is that, while I have mostly forgotten all the other Pratchett books I read, I can still remember not only what Thief of Time was about but also many many details of it :)

Later edit: the interesting thing is that, while I have mostly forgotten all the other Pratchett books I read, I can still remember not only what Thief of Time was about but also many many details of it :lol:

You never forget your first . . .

If someone was coming to Pratchett new, I wouldn't recommend Thief of Time, good though it is, as a starting place, as I think you will get more out of it if you are already familiar with the supporting characters who are introduced in earlier books.

You never forget your first . . .

If someone was coming to Pratchett new, I wouldn't recommend Thief of Time, good though it is, as a starting place, as I think you will get more out of it if you are already familiar with the supporting characters who are introduced in earlier books.

If you want to try them out but not start at the very beginning there's a handy guide HERE that gives all the mini-series starting points.

Wahey! :) Congratulations Terry! (I'm wondering how he really feels about it - I imagine him to be like Vimes when it comes to honours and things. :lol: )Though I'm sure he must be pleased - it's nice to see talent rewarded!

• 2 weeks later...

equal-rites.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby's sex...This is a third hilarious adventure by the author of "The Colour of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic."

Well, this is the third book in the Discworld series, and like the two before, it was funny, engaging, exciting and a wonderful read. I was not disappointed at all. I found the beginning of the book a bit slow but as soon as it picked up it was full of life and adventure.

I love Pratchett's style of writing. He has a gift. His descriptions were flawless - I could picture the scenes unfolding with no problems. He writes in a way that transports you into the Discworld and you feel like you are really there in the midst of the action.

My favourite character was Granny. What a funny lady! Almost everything she did was hilarious and I have to say, I wish my Gran was a bit more like that!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This is turning into a wonderful series and I'm loving it!

9/10

I love this early introduction to Granny Weatherwax (who becomes something of a tour de force throughout the Discworld novels as her character is developed!). I actually suggest newcomers to Pratchett starting with this one rather than The Colour of Magic, as it's far more indicative of Pratchett's humour and style, and far more entertaining than the first two in the series.

I think this would be a good starting one too Kell - The Colour of Magic has too much going on in it and The Light Fantastic really ought to follow The Colour of Magic. Although it can be read as a stand alone novel I would think it is probably more enjoyable read as the sequel.

Nice review, KB! I've only read The Colour of Magic so far. I'd heard that other books are better to start with, but there's a part of me that can't/won't deviate from the order in which they were published. :lol:

I've made it one of my unofficial goals this year to get through a few of my Pratchetts. I think I have around 6 or 7 now (mostly random numbers) but I definitely want to get through the second and third books at least. You've just inspired me to bump them up the pile. :D