This book might well not exist

You may have already read this (and if not you will almost certainly already be aware of it!) but I heartily recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. It's been about 10 years since I read it (really? that long!) so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I remember them being the most thought provoking, beautiful books I've ever read. They are truly the only books I have ever read that I felt actually changed how I feel about the world.

Failing that, I recommend The Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen). These are young adult books so nothing disturbing, and they really are very good. Once again it's been a while since I read them so I can't remember details, but I do remember them being wonderful and magical.

Hope you find something you enjoy :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid I find Eco to be presumptious and tedious:lurker: sorry! He's obviously very knowledgeable but I don't think he has the knack or even the desire to make his books intellegible and accessible.

re: Umberto Eco: yes some of his books are very difficult to understand.

The Island of the Day Before - I didn't understand at all.

The Name of the Rose - I thought that was quite good.

Foucault's Pendulam - I really loved this one. I thought it was a very powerful book in some way. I read it several times.

Baudolino - I think this was a romp but I must read it again to really see what it was all about.

these are the only books of his that I've read and on the whole I like his style of writing. of course they are the English translations so I'm assuming the translator got it right.

• 2 weeks later...

The lines below my picture actually tell fibs, my copy of American Gods was stranded home after Christmas (wouldn't fit in the suitcase :)) so I had to leave it there unbegun; I've recently started Alphabet of Thorn so I really should finish that first before I start on AG. I have been told - after having already bought it, clearly - that there's explicit bits in AG and am now dreading it as much as I'm looking forward to it. Evil Neil.

It's not just a matter of not standing the explicit bits I'm afraid, and scanning them doesn't really help - first of all because I'm a 'read-every-word-including-the-copyright-page' kind of girl, and second of all because just knowing they're there would trigger upset. I don't even need to read them, it's gone beyond that.

You'll be happy to know that Neverwhere (my favourite Evil Neil book) has absolutely no evil bits in it at all. Stardust has just the one but it's just a couple of parapgraphs at the very beginning - even I survived; Anansi Boys has a few annoying allusions but they're also survivable.

Incidentally, I know precisely why I get upset too, and you're right, it doesn't exactly help. And you weren't that off-topic, so I won't be exercising my Modship anytime soon :).