People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Readwine

Finished People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

Here is a brief summary from Amazon:

One of the earliest Jewish religious volumes to be illuminated with images, the Sarajevo Haggadah, survived centuries of purges and wars thanks to people of all faiths who risked their lives to safeguard it. Geraldine Brooks, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of March, has turned the intriguing but sparely detailed history of this precious volume into an emotionally rich, thrilling fictionalization that retraces its turbulent journey. In the hands of Hanna Heath, an impassioned rare-book expert restoring the manuscript in 1996 Sarajevo, it yields clues to its guardians and whereabouts: an insect wing, a wine stain, salt crystals, and a white hair. While readers experience crucial moments in the book's history through a series of fascinating, fleshed-out short stories, Hanna pursues its secrets scientifically, and finds that some interests will still risk everything in the name of protecting this treasure.

If you enjoyed Labyrinth by Kate Moss, you will certainly enjoy this book; perhaps even more. The Sarajevo Haggadah is an actual illuminated manuscript (possibly made in 1480). Its history is unknown save a few snippets. In this book, Brooks imagines the Haggadah’s trials and tribulations, and is very successful. Her characters are bright, sensitive and exceptional. I wish she could have given them a little bit longer to live in her pages.

As in Kate Moss’ story, People of the Book switches from present day to various eras (Spain 1480 and 1492, Venice 1609, Vienna 1894, Sarajevo 1940 and 1996), and the stories presented through the centuries are connected not only by the Haggadah but also by the forensic Bibliologist, Hanna Heath, whose personal life we enter and share in its disfunctionality.

The historical chapters end abruptly which really only serves to spur the imagination of the reader even more. The technique works.

I highly recommend it. I give it a 9 out of 10

DD, I have not read Year of Wonders as it is a period of history that really does not interest me at the moment, so I cannot judge if it is better or not. But as I said, if you enjoyed Labyrinth, I really think you will enjoy People.

You cannot edit the post as you have to have at least 10 posts on the board before you get the privilege. This is to discourage spammers I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds interesting. I also have Labyrinth on TBR and with the reviews it has been getting, I think I'll be talking an interested in this book and Labyrinth. icon_smile.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished this, and thought it was fabulous. I would give it 9 out of 10 too. It's filled with rounded and engaging characters and I was left wanting to know more of them than the snapshot you are given. Fabulous historical background which I found enlightening and thought provoking. Brilliant book!