Bill Bryson - which book to read first?

rosegarden

I don't think that it matters either. I've only read Notes from a Small Islands, but it stood well on it's own, and is a great starting point. It's scary how much you recognise in it. I'm not sure why I haven't read more.

• 2 weeks later...

Notes From a Small Island, and the others of that kind, such as Down Under and Neither Here Nor There are written as a journey across the UK (or Australia, or Europe) whereas Notes From a Big Country is merely a series of his newspaper columns put together to make a complete book, and as such it appears a little disjointed compared to the others.

Also try his English language books: Made in America or Mother Tongue, which are very good, educational and very funny; and of course A Short History of Nearly Everything.

I have the latter upstairs, but I haven't even opened it yet. Is it something I can dip in and out of?

Yeah I would say so, it's not a story where you can get lost if you take a long enough break from it. It's very educational, hope you enjoy it.

Which book do you mean by the latter? From whose post, I mean? That applies to any of his books really.

Sorry, I'm trying to do too many things at once. It was in response to

Also try his English language books: Made in America or Mother Tongue, which are very good, educational and very funny; and of course A Short History of Nearly Everything.

and I meant the latter book.. ie A Short History of Nearly Everything :D

Sorry, I'm trying to do too many things at once. It was in response to

and I meant the latter book.. ie A Short History of Nearly Everything :D

Thanks, I thought you meant my post, since it was directly above yours, but wih only a few minutes difference in the times between posts, I figured you could have meant the post before mine.

Anyway, yeah, reading a chapter or so at a time will be fine, I reckon.

• 7 months later...
Don't read them in a public place though! :oops:

Good advice wabbit' date=' there are parts to his books that do lead to loud noises![/quote']

Yes and the more you try not to the worse it gets... :oops: lol

It wouldn't pay to have a weak bladder :friends0:

OOOOH, I love Billy Bryson! It might have to do with the fact that I'm an american living in Europe who has travelled quite a bit. I really relate to the jokes he makes about both europeans and about himself as an american. I also enjoy the fact that while he makes fun of others, he makes the most fun of himself. It's all in good fun.

If anybody wants to read a "typical" Bill Bryson book first, then I would say to go for "A Walk in the Woods". And while "A Short History of Nearly Everything" is an interesting read, it's not a humorous book, and therefore not typical Bryson.