Ring - Koji Suzuki

I didn't see an already established thread on this book when I did a search, so Mods, just tell me if I missed it, please! :friends0:

I'm starting this book tonight -- It's the first "horror/psych thriller" I've read before, so am not sure how I'll do with it! I did see the American re-make ("Ring") of the Japanese film, and liked it, but seeing spooky things on a screen could be oh-so-different than reading them from a page.

I know Kell and Gyre have read this.. both of you guys gave it a 7/10, and seemed to like it, so I'm crossing my fingers. :razz: Anyone else read this book so far?

If you've seen the American remake of the film, you haven't seen it at its best. Go back and see the original Japanese one - it's far more chilling - as is the book! :friends0:

Oh I started to watch the Japenese version but it was the middle of the night and I had to get up for work in the morning so couldn't finish it. I have been waiting for it to come back on Sky ever since. It was so creepy!!

I never knew it was originally a book! I can't wait to hear what you think if it. :friends0:

I can't wait to hear what you think if it. :razz:

Me too. I've seen the American remake and thought it was pretty good but the book sounds better. I'll wait and see what your thoughts are. :friends0:

I have watched Ringu, Ringu 2 and Ringu 0 (follows the life of 19 year old Sadako). The films a great but I did find them a little bit hard to follow with reading the subtitles BUT quite scary actually :razz:

I have read both Ring and Spiral and enjoyed them. It took me a while to get into them I admit, and a while to get through them because at times I felt the translation wasn't that brilliant. Don't read it at night, I did accidently and stayed up :tong: usually when I'm scared at night I read a book to take my mind off things but when its the book giving you nightmares, haha :lol:

Like with all books/films, there are events that do not happen in the film that are shocking! For all those that have read -

the bit in the book when she goes down the well (sorry can't remember if she was actually pushed) :friends0:

I enjoyed both books Bethany and there some genuinely creepy moments, I was convinced at certain points that someone was looking over my shoulder!

1.gif

Taken on its own, I found Ring to be quite good. I didn't enjoy the second book, Spiral. I seem to have a different opinion from other people about which half of Spiral was better, but after finishing it, I didn't feel inclined to read Loop, the final book in the series.

Thanks for all your comments! I'm about 40 pages into it and it's not really to the spooky bits yet, unless I'm missing something. :) I'll let you guys know how I get on with it as I go through more -- I should get a lot of it done tomorrow! After all your comments, I'm going to read it during the day. :)

I'm also going to see if I can get my hands on the Japanese and original version of the film.. Everyone seems to be in agreement that it's much, much better than the American re-make.

I thought this was quite an interesting read, well written and some good ideas, a little bit different than what i expected having seen the film first.

I'm also going to see if I can get my hands on the Japanese and original version of the film.. Everyone seems to be in agreement that it's much, much better than the American re-make.

Virtually all Japanese originals are better than American remakes - I think something just tends to get lost in the translation of Japanese-horror. I find that I tend to think the Japanese ones are better, but there's something about the American versions that I get more enjoyment out of. Just a hollywood movie-making skill I guess, suited to western tastes.

Edited by Nollaig
I can't spell.