Best Bookstore - Which Ones And What Do You Look For?

Christie

Where is it in Portsmouth?

I remember there being some good second-hand bookshops in Fratton when I was living in University, but that was 20-years ago now! Do you know if they are still there?

It is down Albert Road, Southsea. It has been around for approx. 15 years I believe. I am not aware of many in Fratton, although I do live there. Off the top of my head I can't think of even one in Fratton atm. There used to be a Sussex Book Stores (I believe that is the name of it) in town which I used alot as they do new releases at a very good price, however it closed down a few months ago.

If you could give me some names, I would be able to find out if they are still knocking about.

And Bookjumper, I really wouldn't come to Portsmouth. It's horrible here! As much as I know I will be sad to see the back of it when I move, I will be glad to be elsewhere.

The Night Owls Bookstore I mentioned will give you there email address and if there is a list of books you are after, you just send it to them and they will gradually try and get hold of them all for you out of their masses and masses of stock and send them to you wherever you are. They do charge minimal postage, but don't charge you until you receive your books!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know any [other] good towns or cities in the South of England for second-hand bookshops?

I go to Petersfield for books as they have quite a few charity shops which i've found some gems in.

Also there is a great second hand bookshop in Alton, which i would recommend.

It is down Albert Road, Southsea. It has been around for approx. 15 years I believe.

Bearing in mind how many times i've been to Albert Road i can not believe i haven't seen this shop, i will be dragging the OH to Southsea soon!

If anyone's ever been to Wigtown in Scotland they'll know it's full of great book stores. It's actually Scotland's National Book Town, and this years Wigtown book festival is from 25th September - 4th October 2009, well worth skiving off work for, ahem so I'm told.

Perhaps we could start another thread about book towns, there are 5 or 6 in the UK and about 20 worldwide.

It is down Albert Road, Southsea. It has been around for approx. 15 years I believe. I am not aware of many in Fratton, although I do live there. Off the top of my head I can't think of even one in Fratton atm. There used to be a Sussex Book Stores (I believe that is the name of it) in town which I used alot as they do new releases at a very good price, however it closed down a few months ago.

If you could give me some names, I would be able to find out if they are still knocking about.

Sorry, completely missed this until now!

Thanks for that, I will have to pop over one day and check it out (is the gamming shop still there?).

I haven't been around Fratton for years, but the book shops I remember were along the top end of Fawcett Road, on the left as you are walking down from Fratton itself. There were a couple there, as I remember, but it's been about 18 years since I was last there.

I go to Petersfield for books as they have quite a few charity shops which i've found some gems in.

Also there is a great second hand bookshop in Alton, which i would recommend.

Cheers! I don't get over that way very often (I'm limited to public transport), but I will bear that in mind!

Borders was my favourite book place (apart from local library) - they opened their only Irish store just down the road from me in 2007. But now it's going:weeping: but not before a whopper of a closing down sale where any item could be had for 1 euro!! Needless to say a field day was had by one and all.

Waterstones & Hodges Figgis in Dublin city centre will fill the void in terms of a place to browse paper & ink but to be honest, I cannot see how The Book Depository can be beaten for buying books. One of the only(?) internet book shops with free postage worldwide!!

Bart.

Waterstones without a doubt - they have the right mix of core stock (supplied via Head Office) and stock supplied through wholesalers, giving the self publishers and local authors a chance to at least get into their local branch without having to run the gauntlet of gormless buyers who demand huge discounts and take months to pay you.

The stores are clean, tidy and well organised and the staff knowledgeable and friendly. They have branches everywhere which are easy to get to and a website which is easy to navigate and stocks more than best selling paperbacks. They have offers which are equal to everyone else's and best of all, have their own loyalty card.

• 1 month later...
Although I've never been there, this bookshop looks like the most inviting bookshop I've ever seen! I'd be quite happy to move in tomorrow: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/gallery/2009/oct/02/secondhand-bookshops?picture=353694601
Me too, me too, can I join you *drool*??

Living in Neath im forced to go to either Swansea or Cardiff, as we only have a small, poorly stocked W H Smiths. Waterstones in Swansea is pleasant, but I find their habit of 'pushing' books irksome. I tend to use Borders and Watersons in Cardiff mostly as they are near each other so if I cant find what I want in one I can try the other. Whilst I prefer going to a bookshop, I'm increasingly finding that I have to buy online as bookstores tend to carry what is popular as oppossed to the type of books I'm after (books on philosophy, literary criticism, novels in German)

Although I've never been there, this bookshop looks like the most inviting bookshop I've ever seen! I'd be quite happy to move in tomorrow :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/gallery/2009/oct/02/secondhand-bookshops?picture=353694601

I've been there, sat on that sofa and then proceeded to spend nearly

Although I've never been there, this bookshop looks like the most inviting bookshop I've ever seen! I'd be quite happy to move in tomorrow :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/gallery/2009/oct/02/secondhand-bookshops?picture=353694601

I was there last month! It is good. The place has a lovely atmosphere, very bookish and cosy without being snobby (as some places are). There is also a wonderful miniature railway running along tracks that rest on the top of the bookshelves, and fabulous quotes that frame the top of the shelving. :) Great stuff!

We weren't able to stay for too long (:lol:), but well worth a visit although the parking on site is a pain.

I was going to say Waterstones until I saw this! :lol:

It looks so inviting, if I went there I probably wouldn`t leave again. :)

I just noticed there is a post in the bookstore section. Sorry about that! This question has to do with your choice in Independent bookshoppes verses Chain bookshoppes and your reasons for your choice. If you need to move it, I understand.

What type of bookshoppe do you favor? Are you a Barnes and Noble kind of shopper (the bigger the better) or do you prefer the smaller, independent bookshoppe?

What draws you to your particular type of bookshoppe, the atmosphere, books, employees, location?

I use to go to our local Barnes and Nobles and enjoyed it but since I've worked in this bookshoppe, I've come to LOVE the independent, small shoppe. I like the fact that the employees have a a LARGE say in what goes on in the store. We decorate it as we see fit, play the type of music that we think the customers like to hear, have a really informal and cozy atmosphere and have a working knowledge of our customers. We know who likes what! When our regulars (who love, say goth) tell us of new books coming out, we can just order them! We do special orders without extra charges, no shipping fees, unless we mail them off and we have the same (actually quicker) delivery times. A book thats available can be shipped in two days. We will also go to ABE and order rare/out of print books for our customers.

You know, if I didnt work there, I would STILL shop there!!!:):lol:

Whats your idea of the perfect bookshoppe?

Edited by Katrina1968

Most of the above (or rather, below) - especially the bit about the staff having a say in what is sold (much more author friendly). Shame there isn't one like that where I live. Here all we have are chains.