Ben Elton - The First Casualty

Janet

Firstly, apologies if this has been reviewed before. I did search, but couldn't see it. Secondly, apologies that this is not a very in-depth review, but I've never written one before, and although I looked at the guide posted at the top of this forum, I felt a bit out of my depth trying to follow it! Anyway, here goes:

The First Casualty by Ben Elton

This is Ben Elton

Excellent review, Janet. I've been eyeing this one up for a little while & I think I may well get it now. I've read quite a few of Ben Elton's other books & they'er all satirical novels, which I've enjoyed on the whole, but I think this sounds like a welcome departure from his usual style.

I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Little did I know when I read and reviewed this in June 2006 that I'd be studying WW1 literature and poetry for A level English Lit two years later!

I must dig it out and look for some useful quotes to learn!

I wish WWI poetry had been on the menu when I was at school...instead it was Shakespeare. In fact, I like Shakespeare but his plays were picked to bits and stopped me enjoying them for many years afterwards. Still, I suppose the same could have happened to Wilfred Owen's work if we'd studied that. I'd be Shakespeare-mad and only just beginning to get back to the wartime poets instead of the other way around.

We're doing Shakespeare too!

I didn't study Shakespeare when I was at school (a long, long time ago! :welcome2: ) or WW1 poetry.

I'm loving both - I think perhaps age helps? Wilfred Owen is fantastic and I also like Sassoon - but also a lot of the other, less well-known, poets. :D

I liked this. I also liked Blast from the Past which was set partly at Greenham Common, but Stark stands out as his best. I'm afraid I'm not too PC and all the green stuff might irritate me now, but it was his debut and read like one of his stage tirades.

I saw him in stand up once. In 1983 in Kentish Town. I think it was just after the first Young Ones series. I used to watch that repeatedly. He's very talented.

Oh.. and whilst he'd not written an historical novel before, don't forget Blackadder.

I just have to say, I loved this book. It was this book which introduced me to Ben Elton, and I certainly have no regrets about that.

You watch Black Addar for A-Level?! That is so awesome!

You watch Black Addar for A-Level?! That is so awesome!

An excerpt from the script came up on a paper two years ago! It compares quite nicely to the play "Oh! What a Lovely War".

We're allowed to watch rather than read the script as long as, when we mention it in the exam, we say "in the TV/film version of..." :welcome2:

• 7 months later...
I watched Blackadder Goes Forth on Sunday, because it's relevant to my A Level!

The perfect excuse to watch it again...

Its the same for me because im doing WWI literature for A-level! So every weekend, I watch 'Blackadder Goes Fourth' (for revision purposes of course!) :)

• 1 year later...

One of my fave Elton books... I have always loved the WWI era and like got my GCSE in History watching Blackadder Gors Forth.

The First Casualty is very compelling, has a good pace and reads very evry well. Like others I wasn't overly struck on the ending and I think Elton may have lost his way when trying to find a satisfactory conclusion for his hero. However, it doesn't detract from the sheer power of the book, the descriptive passages about life in the trenches, poor boys, wonded and shell shocked in hospital. Let's face it, it was a grim and horrific time and Elton captures it wonderfully.

LITT

Janet

This book is superb it was recommended to me by a work colleague and by pure luck I saw it in the for sale bin at the local library...it cost me 10p...best 10p I ever spent :roll: Ben Elton's books are a bit hit and miss but this ranks as my all time favourite....have you read birdsong by Sebastian Faulks?