Gilmore Girls

frankie

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:friends0: I always wonder why she didn't just borrow something from Rory, or wear some dirty clothes (they couldn't have been that dirty).

I've heard the American's are quite anal about their clothing. They wear the thing they've picked out for a day just that single day and then they throw it in the to-wash-clothes-bin. It's a regular joke for the Americans to say "you probably didn't spend the night at home did ya :D ;)" if they wear the same thing they wore yesterday. This is just something I've heard from a lot of places, I don't know if it's actually true. For me, I don't mind wearing a same shirt a couple of days without washing, unless it smells bad or has gotten dirt on it.

Once I heard this story about a Finnish aupair who was stunned at how Americans throw everything they wore that day to the gonna-wash-bin. She took them out of that bin every once in a while and just put them back in their closet (if the clothes weren't dirty) and they never noticed a thing :lol:

Well that makes sense then. I tend to wear the same clothes more than once just because I hate washing and ironing!

You actually volunteer to iron your clothes?? I never bother :friends0: Another reason to wear your clothes more than once before wash is that it does save your clothes: the fabric does not liked to washed all the time, it gets all "nukkainen" as we say in Finnish. Cannot for the life of me know/remember the word in English. But you know when let's say your shirt seems all worn out and gets these little round things hanging from the fabric?

We usually call that 'pilling,' Frankie, and I know what you mean. I happen to be really weird about my clothes, and if it's slightly stretched out I'll wash it, or if it looks worn or wrinkly at all I'll iron it, LOL.

I never understood that about the episode either. Lorelei had absolutely NOTHING to wear but cutoffs and t-shirt? I did like the way she got grief from everyone though about it :friends0:.

Thanks for the word 'pilling' peacefield :friends0: Didn't Lorelai have a coat though? Or a woollen, long cardigan kinda thing? I could never understand why she took it off and left it in the car. (If it actually happened, but I'm pretty sure I have it right)

:friends0: I don't understand the whole wearing something for one day either, I usually wear tops for 2 days and trousers for 4, unless I get them dirty or they smell.

Or she could have always done a 'student clean', I can imagine Loreli doing that

Didn't Lorelai have a coat though? Or a woollen, long cardigan kinda thing? I could never understand why she took it off and left it in the car. (If it actually happened, but I'm pretty sure I have it right)

She wore it into Headmaster Charleston's office where he asked her to take it off, claiming it was warm in the office that day. When she resisted, Emily insisted that she shouldn't be so rude, so she was really left with no choice. :friends0:

I couldn't understand why she didn't do up her coat as soon as she got out of the car though (or why Rory didn't insist on it!). It wasn't until they had walked a fair way and a Chilton dad started flirting with her that she did it up.

She wore it into Headmaster Charleston's office where he asked her to take it off, claiming it was warm in the office that day. When she resisted, Emily insisted that she shouldn't be so rude, so she was really left with no choice. :friends0:

I couldn't understand why she didn't do up her coat as soon as she got out of the car though (or why Rory didn't insist on it!). It wasn't until they had walked a fair way and a Chilton dad started flirting with her that she did it up.

Aaaa so that's how it went down. I can't understand why she didn't have the coat on the whole time she was at Chilton either. I don't think it's like Lorelai or Rory to do that, I think it was partly down to the show being so new and they sorta had to stress right from the get-go that these girls are not ordinary but something quite extraordinary. Dunno :D

If Charleston is stupid enough to get into ladies' dressing and if Emily is bully enough to demand Lorelai to take the coat off I think they had what was coming to them :lol:

Cinnamon's Wake (S1, Ep5)

Synopsis (taken from tv.com):

When both a distant family member and a neighbor's cat die, Lorelai has to decide which wake to attend. Max and Lorelai get their feelings for each other out on the table, but what will Rory think of this? Meanwhile, Lorelai and Sookie attend a Chilton bake sale, and Rory and Dean's budding relationship takes one step forward.

Trivia:

This is the first episode where Sean Gunn appears as Kirk. He previously appears in "The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton" as the DSL guy named Mick, and in "Kill Me Now" as a nameless swan delivery person. In this episode he speaks to Patti as a stranger, though in later episodes we learn Patti was his dance teacher as a child and has known him for at least 20 years.

This is the first episode that uses the end-credit music that is used throughout the rest of the series. The three episodes before this each have different songs during the end credits.

Quotes:

Lorelai: That man on the porch was your teacher.

Rory: Mom, I

Rory's Birthday Parties (S1, Ep6)

It's Rory's birthday, and her grandmother and mother each plan a party representative of their respective styles. Emily's elegant party so discomforts Rory that they argue. To make peace, Emily and Richard attend Lorelai's informal bash the next evening.

Trivia:

In this episode, Luke asks Lorelai to marry him, but just as a joke to "shut her up." (I love the look on Lorelai's face when he asks her! :icon_eek:)

Rory's full name (as we can see in the birthday party invitation Emily sent out) is Lorelai Leigh Gilmore.

This episode was filmed during Alexis Bledel's actual birthday. (By my calculations she would have actually turned 19.)

Quotes:

Luke: That's the wrong table.

Rory: Since when is there a right table?

Luke: Since the coffee cake I baked for you and the stupid balloons I blew up for you are at that table over there. (Awww! ;))

Luke: Will you marry me?

Lorelai: (stares agasp) What?

Luke: Just...looking for something to shut you up.

Rory: So, is this party Grandma's having going to be a big deal?

Lorelai: Not really. The government will close that day. Flags will fly at half-mast. Barbara Streisand will give her final concert...again.

Rory: Uh-huh.

Lorelai: Now, the Pope has previous plans, but he's trying to get out of them. However, Elvis and Jim Morrison are coming and they're bringing chips.

Rory: You ask a simple question...

Excellent episode, Kylie! I love it when Luke walks in and saves the day with bags of ice for the party :icon_eek:. I love him too for baking Rory the cake. Well, I love him for doing pretty much anything on that show, LOL.

Kiss and Tell (S1, Ep7)

Dean gives Rory her first kiss; fearful of her mother's disapproval, Rory decides not to tell Lorelai for a little while; Lorelai gets stressed when she hears about the kiss from Mrs. Kim instead of Rory; Rory freaks out at first when Lorelai invites Dean over to watch videos and eat junk food, but ends up having a good time after all.

Trivia:

This is the only time the downstairs bathroom is used in the Gilmore house throughout the entire series. In later episodes, the bathroom has magically transformed into a closet.

First appearance of Taylor Doose (Michael Winters).

Quotes:

Lorelai: So?

Rory: Got it!

Lorelai: Score! You know on the one hand I'm glad it was in, but on the other what kind of world do we live in when no one is renting Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

Rory: Well we rented it.

Lorelai: Thank God for us.

Lorelai: He kissed you and you said 'thank you'?

Rory: Yes.

Lorelai: Well that was very polite.

Lorelai: I'm afraid that once your heart's involved, it all comes out in moron.

Lorelai: Okay, I'll uninvite him then. I'll just say it's cancelled on account of I just found out that I'm my mother and I need to go into intensive therapy right now.

Luke: You're not going to kill the bag boy.

Lorelai: Why not?

Luke: It's double coupon day. You'll bring down the town.

Is it just me or was Lorelai really rough on Dean? I know she means well and I think it's great she cares so much for her daughter that she'd want to know everything and sorta be part of the thing, you know, but I think she sometimes went to extremes with it. I totally respect the way Dean dealt with it, I'd be scared of her :D

Also the last quote on double coupon day cracked me up ;)

Edit: Oooh Kylie I remember talking to you about the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, meaning Willy Wonka, and the actor who you adore, promising I'd watch the original version whenever I have the chance. It's this episode from which I knew about the older version of the movie :D

Edited by frankie

Gene Wilder is the only Willy Wonka, Frankie! :D Forgive me Depp fans, but the original version is the movie I grew up with and Wilder is the only way I remember that film. Have you seen the original yet Frankie?

Excellent episode, and yes, I think Lorelei was a little tough on Dean. You feel bad for her though, since she's obviously hurt that Rory didn't tell her first about the kiss. Is it in the end scene though where Rory goes up to Lorelei's room and they break the whole thing down Madden-style? I like the discussion about how where the kiss happened was a 'good aisle' in the market :D.

Gene Wilder is the only Willy Wonka, Frankie! :D Forgive me Depp fans, but the original version is the movie I grew up with and Wilder is the only way I remember that film. Have you seen the original yet Frankie?

I haven't seen the original yet, and not even the Depp one. I started it though but Depp was so freaky and the whole movie was too freaky and hightech that I just freaked out and stopped watching it! Too bad as I liked the book :D

Peacefield I'm sure Kylie will be glad to join you in a Gene Wilder fanclub :D

Excellent episode, and yes, I think Lorelei was a little tough on Dean. You feel bad for her though, since she's obviously hurt that Rory didn't tell her first about the kiss. Is it in the end scene though where Rory goes up to Lorelei's room and they break the whole thing down Madden-style? I like the discussion about how where the kiss happened was a 'good aisle' in the market .

Yeah, you do feel bad for her because she must've felt so leftout when Rory didn't 'fess up. To hear that Rory's got a beau of some sorts from Patty and not herself isn't the way to go. BUT as a grown woman Lorelai should've recognised the importance of the event to Rory and that these things can be confusing in the beginning and she probably needed time to clear her head. How could she explain it to Lorelai when she was still probably confused about Dean (though in a very lovely way :D) herself. This was about Rory and not Lorelai and I kinda think it escaped Lorelai for a minute.

Yep I think you're right about Rory coming to Lorelai's room at the end of the episode. Will have to google 'Madden-style' though :D The 'good aisle' bit was hilarious ;)

Is it just me or was Lorelai really rough on Dean? I know she means well and I think it's great she cares so much for her daughter that she'd want to know everything and sorta be part of the thing, you know, but I think she sometimes went to extremes with it. I totally respect the way Dean dealt with it, I'd be scared of her :lol:

Edit: Oooh Kylie I remember talking to you about the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, meaning Willy Wonka, and the actor who you adore, promising I'd watch the original version whenever I have the chance. It's this episode from which I knew about the older version of the movie :lol:

I'm so glad Lorelai and Rory both appreciate the original movie!

And yeah, Lorelai was unnecessarily tough on Dean, I thought. It wasn't like he'd done anything to make her suspicious. She should have given it a bit of time and gotten to know him a little before she started threatening him!

I haven't seen the original yet, and not even the Depp one. I started it though but Depp was so freaky and the whole movie was too freaky and hightech that I just freaked out and stopped watching it! Too bad as I liked the book :)

Peacefield I'm sure Kylie will be glad to join you in a Gene Wilder fanclub :)

Then I'm sure you'll appreciate the original much more as it's far less creepy! Well, there's a scene in a tunnel that used to scare me a little, but now it's one of my favourite scenes because it truly shows how brilliant Gene Wilder can be.

Then I'm sure you'll appreciate the original much more as it's far less creepy! Well, there's a scene in a tunnel that used to scare me a little, but now it's one of my favourite scenes because it truly shows how brilliant Gene Wilder can be.

Oh yeah, Kylie, that scene freaked me out too! "...the rowers keep on rowing, and they show no signs of SLOWING!" :lol:

Frankie, by Madden style I meant John Madden, who is a popular American football announcer here. When he announces he breaks down each football game play by play, if you know what I mean. So I guess I was referring to Rory explaining every single little detail to Lorelei about Dean, the kiss, and how it all went down :lol:.

Thanks for explaining Peacefield because I had been wondering the same thing. :lol: I guess that's also similar to what they do on Rory's 16th birthday, when Lorelai gets into her bed and gives her a blow-by-blow description of how she gave birth, an annual ritual apparently! :lol: