Gilmore Girls

frankie

The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton (S1, Ep2)

Synopsis (taken from tv.com)

Lorelai oversleeps on Rory's first day at Chilton, and discovers that all her good clothes are at the cleaners. She throws on a tiny tie-dyed top, Daisy Mae shorts, and cowboy boots to the dismay of Rory, the Chilton headmaster, and Emily, who has shown up for Rory's first day. Lorelai and Emily leave after some awkward moments in the headmaster's office, bickering the entire way out. Rory's day goes downhill from there. She's handed a three inch binder containing one week's worth of notes from one class and meets some insufferable classmates who are determined to make her life at Chilton miserable.

Trivia:

We see the first sign of Luke's feelings for Lorelai in this episode. Luke is happy when Lorelai mentions that she isn't going to date a Chilton dad. Later, when she walks past the diner, he comes out and watches her for a second before going back inside (awww....) :)

This episode sees the introduction of Jackson and Kirk. However, Kirk doesn't become 'Kirk' (a regular character) until later episodes. In this episode, he is a cableman by the name of Mick, who shows up at Lorelai's house to install internet.

Quotes:

Lorelai: When I was in high school, I had a Paris.

Rory: Yeah?

Lorelai: Yeah, she was horrible.

Rory: How'd you get rid of her?

Lorelai: I got pregnant and dropped out.

Michel: Once again, your faithful pooch is here to say: "Please come back to the desk. Someone needs to talk with you."

Lorelai: It

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one on Team Marty??!! I loved that kid, and Rory never saw him as more than a friend, unfortunately.

Peacefield I'm afraid you are. Marty was okay, nice, kind and everything but I couldn't see him for more than a friend either. How could Rory, then??

I remember reading that Rory once said she'd read all of the books in Oprah's Book Club, which I suspect accounts for a lot of the books on the more lengthy lists.

Does anyone else find it weird that Rory would follow Oprah's Book Club so religiously? She doesn't strike me as that type of person (the type to follow Oprah, or the type to follow what someone else is reading).

I find that very weird. I mean Oprah Book Club people might read some decent books but to follow it? No way. I think she'd know about Oprah only so much as to mock her and make funny banter with her Mum. Nothing more.

The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton (S1, Ep2)

This episode sees the introduction of Jackson and Kirk. However, Kirk doesn't become 'Kirk' (a regular character) until later episodes. In this episode, he is a cableman by the name of Mick, who shows up at Lorelai's house to install internet.

I found this really funny when I was rewatching the first season for the first time I couldn't get over the fact that Lorelai didn't know Kirk and he introduced himself as Mick :)

Am I the only one on Team Marty??!! I loved that kid, and Rory never saw him as more than a friend, unfortunately.

Actually I always had a soft spot for him; I've been a Marty myself quite often during my young & uneventful life so his unrequited subservience to Rori made me go "awww, bless him". Considering the timeframe (i.e. that Jess was well out the picture and far from trying to enter the picture again), how could you pick an obvious b*stard like Logan over someone as cuddleable as Marty? Bad Rori! I do second what's been said about her taste in men for such an intelligent girl... seriously.

BookJumper, are you talking about Sebastian Bach, the guitarist in Laine's band? The former hair-metal frontman for Skid Row? He was hilarious in GG!

I had no idea he was an actual rocker, that's awesome, I *heart* hair metal! Agreed that he was hilarious, it made me smile how he was this huge, hairy bulk of a man who nonetheless fit in so well at Laine's mum "parties"... loveable weirdo!

This show makes me nostalgic, though. My housemates and I back in Liverpool used to watch it religiously on DVD; we'd all sing the theme tune and be excitably soppy together. Now I sit on my London sofa alone (the OH leaves the room as soon as the TV announcer, well, announces the show) and sing the theme tune to myself... sad, am I not?

Now I sit on my London sofa alone (the OH leaves the room as soon as the TV announcer, well, announces the show) and sing the theme tune to myself... sad, am I not?

It's sad that your OH leaves the room, it is not sad that you sing the theme song by yourself: I do that too and it's fun! I don't care if I'm alone, I'm used to watching TV alone. Although I am happy that my BF enjoys the show too. Although he's Team Digger. He's always Team The Ugliest Man and the Cheesiest and most Chauvinist Guy with Muscles. He sure likes them corny :)

Well today, I was having a belated spring clean and I was looking for a tv programme to put on in the background and noticed the Gilmore Girls but wasn't sure what it was. So I guess what I mean to say is......what is this tv programme and should I be watching it? :)

what is this tv programme

GG follows the lives (professional/educational as well as sentimental) of Lorelei and Rori Gilmore, a mother-daughter pair that due to their relative closeness in age (Lorelei had Rori when she was sixteen, and the show started with Rori at sixteen) are more best friends than anything else. Completing the picture are Richard and Emily (Lorelei's half unbearable, half adorable posh parents) and a charming, colourful cast too diverse to mention them all.

hould I be watching it?

Absolutely! It's alternatively funny, sad, inspiring and romantic :)!

Actually I always had a soft spot for him; I've been a Marty myself quite often during my young & uneventful life so his unrequited subservience to Rori made me go "awww, bless him". Considering the timeframe (i.e. that Jess was well out the picture and far from trying to enter the picture again), how could you pick an obvious b*stard like Logan over someone as cuddleable as Marty? Bad Rori! I do second what's been said about her taste in men for such an intelligent girl... seriously.

I had no idea he was an actual rocker, that's awesome, I *heart* hair metal! Agreed that he was hilarious, it made me smile how he was this huge, hairy bulk of a man who nonetheless fit in so well at Laine's mum "parties"... loveable weirdo!

:D We are on the same page Book! I agree completely about Marty and the eww-known-as-Logan. And yeah, Gil was hilarious in that role. Every time I saw him I had the urge to pull out my old Skid Row tapes and listen to '18 and Life' and 'I Remember You,' :tong:. Bach has the quintessential hair metal voice.

the eww-known-as-Logan

That made me laugh :D!

Bach has the quintessential hair metal voice.

... I do think I need to procure me some Skid Row, I seem to have missed out :tong:...

(You are also guilty of lodging "Down on Skiiiiid Roooow" from The Little Shop of Horrors in my brain, where it shall probably remain until next Tuesday :lol:)

Marty was okay, nice, kind and everything but I couldn't see him for more than a friend either. How could Rory, then??

I agree. Marty was definitely friend material. Although, like BookJumper, I could completely get the unrequited love thing. I felt sorry for him. He was a good guy, just not suited for Rory.

I think she'd know about Oprah only so much as to mock her and make funny banter with her Mum. Nothing more.

My sentiments exactly!

Now I sit on my London sofa alone (the OH leaves the room as soon as the TV announcer, well, announces the show) and sing the theme tune to myself... sad, am I not?

Not sad at all! The theme song warms the cockles of my heart sometimes (when I haven't heard it for a while...I usually just skip past it if I'm watching multiple episodes in a row :tong:)

Although I am happy that my BF enjoys the show too.

My BF likes the show too, much to my eternal pleasure! Although I haven't managed to get him to watch it with me yet. He wouldn't start watching from the beginning of the first season because then he'd feel obligated to watch it all the time. I said we could just watch one episode every now and then (when there's nothing else on TV) but he wasn't keen so I'm just watching them myself when he's not around. :lol:

So I guess what I mean to say is......what is this tv programme and should I be watching it? :D

I would absolutely recommend watching it! It's very cleverly written and there are many book references. Like BookJumper said, there's quite a colourful cast of characters.

Well today, I was having a belated spring clean and I was looking for a tv programme to put on in the background and noticed the Gilmore Girls but wasn't sure what it was. So I guess what I mean to say is......what is this tv programme and should I be watching it? :lol:

This one is easy. Yes you should be watching it. From the beginning, preferably! (Funny thing you would ask this on a Gilmore Girls thread, I don't think anyone of us would say NO!!! :lol:) The writing is absolutely brilliant, it's witty and really quick. And they're always making funny refrences to music, literature, TV and culture. Everytime I get the reference I feel like a champion :D The cast is amazing and like Bookjumper and Kylie have already assured you, the characters are quirky and interesting and they certainly don't leave anyone cold.

I agree. Marty was definitely friend material. Although, like BookJumper, I could completely get the unrequited love thing. I felt sorry for him. He was a good guy, just not suited for Rory.

I hope you don't get me wrong Kylie, I felt sorry for Marty too and I really liked him, and as much as I would have wished to see Rory with him instead of Logan (if those are the only choices!), there was just no way it was going to happen because he wasn't right for Rory.

My BF likes the show too, much to my eternal pleasure! Although I haven't managed to get him to watch it with me yet. He wouldn't start watching from the beginning of the first season because then he'd feel obligated to watch it all the time. I said we could just watch one episode every now and then (when there's nothing else on TV) but he wasn't keen so I'm just watching them myself when he's not around.

Oooh! Good BF for liking good shows :tong: You still have time to persuade him to watch it with you, just try to be subtle and give it time ;)

Kylie if I ever get to Sydney, I'll come over and watch it with you if you like :D

I hope you don't get me wrong Kylie, I felt sorry for Marty too and I really liked him, and as much as I would have wished to see Rory with him instead of Logan (if those are the only choices!), there was just no way it was going to happen because he wasn't right for Rory.

Oh, I know that's what you were trying to say :lol: You can't help but like Marty. He's so sweet. I'm sure he eventually found someone who could appreciate him properly (should I be concerned that I'm talking like this show is real life?)

Oooh! Good BF for liking good shows :D You still have time to persuade him to watch it with you, just try to be subtle and give it time :lol:

Yes, I'll keep working on my BF *evil laugh*

Kylie if I ever get to Sydney, I'll come over and watch it with you if you like :tong:

I'm going to hold you to that! :D

It's easy to get into as well - I first started watching it (by chance) last year, and went from mid way, through to the end - and then around to the beginning!

It is friendly, quirky and watchable, a great way to spend some time!

No idea what series/epidose as I watch off thetelly rather than DVD, but the plot went that Rori (having dropped out of Yale) tries her hand at organising one of Emily's social functions and, from a doomed flop, she turns it into an incredible success.

However, Logan's horrible family arrive (unannounced, no RVSP or anything) and just expect to be seated because of who they are. This happens, though Rori has an understandable mini-breakdown behind the scenes. Then Richard, meeting Logan's father in the men's room, discovers that Lorelei's accusations weren't just accusations: the Huntsbergers were really evil to Rori at dinner, saying that she wasn't good enough to marry into Logan's family, because she wanted a career and thus didn't understand the responsibilities; to make up for which Logan's father gave her an internship at one of his smaller papers just to tell her that she didn't have "it" and would never make it as a journalist ---> reason Rori dropped out of Yale.

Having heard about this, Emily finds Logan's mum and (can't remember the exact wording, which is a shame because it was just spot on) basically calls her a gold-digger, her husband a playboy, and lets her understand that if anyone tries to stand in the way of Rori dating Logan there will be hell to pay. Much as I despise Logan himself, this was priceless!

They were eventually. I was so annoyed that they would not believe their own daughter until it was confirmed by the culprits themselves.

Lorelai had been well and truly stitched up by her parents throughout all of this situation, and they just ignored the fact that she is Rory's mother.

I think the episodes that covered this were great to really get viewers to understand the whys and wherefores of Lorelai's difficult relationship not only with her parents, but also their world with all it's inherent snobbery, and talk of 'good people' (as in the wouldn't have treated Rory like that as the Huntzbergers are 'good people')

Kill Me Now (S1, Ep3)

Synopsis (taken from tv.com):

When Rory announces that she has to pick a team sport to play at Chilton, Emily insists that Richard take Rory to the club and teach her golf. Although Rory tees off to a rocky start, she soon gets into the swing of things and has a great time walking and talking with Richard. Meanwhile, Lorelai feels jealous of Rory's growing relationship with her grandparents, culminating in an explosive argument between mother and daughter.

Trivia:

Richard's mother is talked about as though she is deceased, but she actually appears in later episodes.

Kirk appears in this episode as someone else. This is the second and last time this happens.

Quotes:

Sookie: Well I

• 3 weeks later...

The Deer Hunters (S1, Ep4)

Synopsis (taken from tv.com):

Max Medina gives Rory the first "D" of her life on an English paper. Lorelai spends the week helping Rory study for an important Shakespeare test but they sleep in on the big day. Sookie gets a rave review in a magazine, but fixates only on the critic's use of the word "fine" to describe her famous risotto.

Trivia:

This is the final appearance of Alex Borstein as Drella on the series, although the actress returns as a new character, Miss Seline in season three episode 21 and in season 5, episode 12.

This is the first appearance of Max Medina (Scott Cohen) who will go on to be a frequent recurring character in seasons 1 through 3.

Quotes:

Lorelai: (looking at the antler marks on the side of the Jeep) You did. You got hit by a deer.

Rory: It just came out of nowhere.

Lorelai: You couldn