Gilmore Girls

frankie

Wiki told me that.............................

The Fig Newton is a brand of fig bar (in Europe, fig roll), pastry filled with fig cream. A trademarked product of Nabisco, Fig Newtons in their modern form originated in the United States and have since spread across the world. Their unusual shape is a characteristic that has been adopted by many competitors, such as the generic fig bars sold by most supermarkets, and Newman's Own Fig Newmans (an organic variety).
I have eaten fig rolls, which are apparently the same according to this article. They are very sweet.

I like that the makers of the GG ensured that it is not always black and white. All the characters made mistakes and bad judgements at times, the say or do something inappropriate etc.

You also get the back story on things, which can change your perspective on a person. For example Emily is just a wicked witch, she has layers that have made here who she is. No one is two dimensional.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow look at all this chat that goes on while I sleep! I'm amazed sometimes ;). Fig Newtons are very tasty, I've always enjoyed them. They are, like Chrissy said, mashed up figs (aka cream) inside this kind of dense pastry. It's not flaky pastry, but hard to explain. They have a weird shape, kind of like you take a circle and flatten it - does that make sense? I haven't had them in a long while, but they're good.

I just watched the episode yesterday from season 1 when Dean comes over for the first time to watch Willy Wonka, and there was tons of junk food in that one. I think I remember marshmallows, Hershey's Kisses, red vine licorice, and I can't think of any more. I remember seeing Rory sit on the porch swing eating from the can Redi-Whip, the whipped cream stuff :D.

I don't mind long hair, but Gil's was kind of frizzy. Plus his kind of long hair just seems to 80's for me, and it just reminds me of his Skid Row days, LOL. I kept expecting him to break out and start screaming 'I remember you!'

I am most definitely not apposed to giving and getting a little lovin' Frankie :lol::D.

Come on over to Team Gilmore, Chesil!! You will LOVE it I just know it! :)

A good case in point is the episode where they go to the day spa. They go to a pub and start having a really nice time, and then Emily accuses Lorelai of making her cheat on Richard when she dances with another man. At least that one ends a little nicely again when Lorelai convinces Emily to steal a bathrobe.

Another classic GG moment! =D

Emily is so conservative. It's like sometimes they find they have something in common, or enjoy some moment in life together, and they giggle like they are partners in crime, and then Emily goes on her conservative spells and blames Lorelai. It's like she's almost afraid of having fun and enjoying life. I'm sure she has her reasons for it, I'm not saying she's pure evil. Just like Chrissy said, things aren't always black and white, and all the characters do stupid things at times. I have a lot of respect for Emily, she has so many wonderful qualities, but sometimes she can be a handful.

Wiki told me that.............................I have eaten fig rolls, which are apparently the same according to this article. They are very sweet.

:) the Wiki part was left out of that quote for some reason. Now it's just Wiki telling Chrissy that she's eaten fig rolls. It's nice that you can check those things on Wikipedia today :ha ha:

Fig Newtons are very tasty, I've always enjoyed them. They are, like Chrissy said, mashed up figs (aka cream) inside this kind of dense pastry. It's not flaky pastry, but hard to explain. They have a weird shape, kind of like you take a circle and flatten it - does that make sense? I haven't had them in a long while, but they're good.

Oh ****, I just realised that I've confused fig with date fruit :) I can't remember if I've ever eaten figs. Well anyway, they do sound like tasty delicacies, I definitely want to try them. I must see if I can find them in the American snack -foodshop.

I just watched the episode yesterday from season 1 when Dean comes over for the first time to watch Willy Wonka, and there was tons of junk food in that one. I think I remember marshmallows, Hershey's Kisses, red vine licorice, and I can't think of any more. I remember seeing Rory sit on the porch swing eating from the can Redi-Whip, the whipped cream stuff :lol:.

The episode with the real Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder :lol: That's where I've gotten it from. Yep they had a massive amount of junk food, it's making me hungry just thinking abou it. Mmmm, marshmallows... Hershey's Kisses sound really nice as well. I was wondering though, is the insides of a H Kiss a bit foamy? Or is it chocolate all the way through? It reminds me of the Finnish thing we have, which is nowadays called Brunbergin Suukko ('Brunberg's Kiss), it used to be called something completely different but I'm not saying what because the name was a bit racist.

I'm really hungry now =/

The episode with the real Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder :) That's where I've gotten it from. Yep they had a massive amount of junk food, it's making me hungry just thinking abou it. Mmmm, marshmallows... Hershey's Kisses sound really nice as well. I was wondering though, is the insides of a H Kiss a bit foamy? Or is it chocolate all the way through? It reminds me of the Finnish thing we have, which is nowadays called Brunbergin Suukko ('Brunberg's Kiss), it used to be called something completely different but I'm not saying what because the name was a bit racist.

I'm really hungry now =/

Yeah thy're like chocolate drops, just chocolate all the way through. I bought them from ashop here that sells sweets from around the world. They're not great, I thought they had a kind of grainy texture, and they didn't melt properly in my mouth.

Oh ****, I just realised that I've confused fig with date fruit :) I can't remember if I've ever eaten figs. Well anyway, they do sound like tasty delicacies, I definitely want to try them. I must see if I can find them in the American snack -foodshop.

They have American snack foodshops in Finland?! I don't know why I should think this is odd, since we have other country's small foodshops here, but I guess I never thought about our stuff being special enough to be sold overseas. How cool! :lol:

The episode with the real Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder :) That's where I've gotten it from. Yep they had a massive amount of junk food, it's making me hungry just thinking abou it. Mmmm, marshmallows... Hershey's Kisses sound really nice as well. I was wondering though, is the insides of a H Kiss a bit foamy? Or is it chocolate all the way through? It reminds me of the Finnish thing we have, which is nowadays called Brunbergin Suukko ('Brunberg's Kiss), it used to be called something completely different but I'm not saying what because the name was a bit racist.

Yes, the real Willy, you're right Frankie! :) And like Lucybird said, Hershey's Kisses are solid chocolate all the way through. They make lots of different kinds now though, from kinds with almonds in the center to dark chocolate, and even to these really good white/milk chocolate striped kinds! I had a peanut butter kind once but it was bad. Definitely not as good as a Reeses peanut butter cup!

Speaking of food and Gilmore Girls, I always remember in one of the very first episodes how Rory ordered coffee and chili fries at Luke's :lol:. I love coffee, but I would never think of having chili fries with it, yuck!

Frankie, I'll have you know that Wiki and I are very close friends!

LMAO! I'll be sure to keep my distance when it comes to you or Wiki, I don't want any drama!! :roll:

Yeah thy're like chocolate drops, just chocolate all the way through. I bought them from ashop here that sells sweets from around the world. They're not great, I thought they had a kind of grainy texture, and they didn't melt properly in my mouth.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear they're only chocolate all the way through, what's so special about that? :(

They have American snack foodshops in Finland?! I don't know why I should think this is odd, since we have other country's small foodshops here, but I guess I never thought about our stuff being special enough to be sold overseas. How cool!

Well not in my hometown, but in the capital city Helsinki they do. There's this small, very specialized snack shop I know, and then there are a couple of huge huge grocerystores that have small sections of American snacks. I've even seen packs of good ole Mac & Cheese (something I'd love to try out sometime!). And Oreos (but we have our Finnish version of that so that doesn't impress me too much). And Ginger Beer! I love it <3 Everytime I go to Helsinki I just have to go and buy it. There are loads of other stuff but can't remember right now.

And yes, I find it kinda funny that you find it weird that we have American snack foodshops here :D What's normal to you is very unique for us. It's kinda like Joey was excited about someone going to China, and having the opportunity to eat Chinese food. Chandler said that ”of course there it's just called food” :D

Also, if US has Finnish foodshops then it shouldn't be weird for us to have American. You should know, you live in an area where you can't throw a rock without hitting a Finnish descendant. I've heard there are stores where they sell Finnish rye bread, Finnish chocolate ('Fazer' is the brand name) and Finnish candy called 'salmiakki'.

Speaking of food and Gilmore Girls, I always remember in one of the very first episodes how Rory ordered coffee and chili fries at Luke's :D. I love coffee, but I would never think of having chili fries with it, yuck!

I remember that too! Lovely things to have, but not the most common combo :lol:

I've never had chili fries before, but I think I'd give them a go if I saw them around!

I watched ep 17 of S4 today; the one where Rory and Paris go on spring break. :roll: They remind me so much of myself in this episode - feeling as though they have to party and be cool but just wanting to curl up with junk food in front of the TV with some dorky movie. And Paris kissing Rory and then asking her how the kiss was. :D

I always read the episode title before watching it, but I rarely remember what the episode is about until I start watching it. Is it like that for you other GG fans, or can you tell by the title what the episode is about? I only know with the obvious ones like 'The Festival of Living Art'. And now that I've read the book 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?', I'll always remember that 'They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? is the marathon dance episode. :D

Oh, and it's so cool when you rewatch an episode for the 10th time and suddenly get a pop culture reference you never got before. When I watched the spring break episode, someone referred to Moondoggie, which is a character in Gidget, a beach movie starring Sandra Dee from the 60s, which I just happened to watch the other day! I was so pleased with myself. :D

I'm watching the next ep now and Lorelai is wondering where all the anvils have gone. Classic!

I've never had chili fries before, but I think I'd give them a go if I saw them around!

I watched ep 17 of S4 today; the one where Rory and Paris go on spring break. :roll: They remind me so much of myself in this episode - feeling as though they have to party and be cool but just wanting to curl up with junk food in front of the TV with some dorky movie. And Paris kissing Rory and then asking her how the kiss was. :D

Chili fries are great! They serve them at work in our cafe every so often with nacho cheese drizzled over them. Mmm... :D

That episode is one of my favorites! I always laugh when Paris goes off for the banana eating contest and then returns in a huff after realizing it didn't actually center around eating for hunger's sake.

I watched ep 17 of S4 today; the one where Rory and Paris go on spring break. :D They remind me so much of myself in this episode - feeling as though they have to party and be cool but just wanting to curl up with junk food in front of the TV with some dorky movie. And Paris kissing Rory and then asking her how the kiss was. :D

I've rewatched and rewatched mostly seasons 1-3 and don't remember the ones after that so well, I didn't enjoy season 4 so much because it was so weird, Rory being in Yale and Lorelai living alone :lol:

I always read the episode title before watching it, but I rarely remember what the episode is about until I start watching it. Is it like that for you other GG fans, or can you tell by the title what the episode is about? I only know with the obvious ones like 'The Festival of Living Art'. And now that I've read the book 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?', I'll always remember that 'They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? is the marathon dance episode. :(

I'm just like you Kylie, I only remember the most obvious ones. Like Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days and They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? and some of the others, but not that many.

Oh, and it's so cool when you rewatch an episode for the 10th time and suddenly get a pop culture reference you never got before. When I watched the spring break episode, someone referred to Moondoggie, which is a character in Gidget, a beach movie starring Sandra Dee from the 60s, which I just happened to watch the other day! I was so pleased with myself. :D

That is soooo cool when that happens! :roll: Hm, isn't Gidget on Shonali's Rory List? That would make sense now!

Chili fries are great! They serve them at work in our cafe every so often with nacho cheese drizzled over them. Mmm... :D

That episode is one of my favorites! I always laugh when Paris goes off for the banana eating contest and then returns in a huff after realizing it didn't actually center around eating for hunger's sake.

Yum, they do sound nice. I love fries with melted cheese and bacon on top, so I'm sure the addition of chili would make it even better.

I've rewatched and rewatched mostly seasons 1-3 and don't remember the ones after that so well, I didn't enjoy season 4 so much because it was so weird, Rory being in Yale and Lorelai living alone :D

I get a bit sick of their phone conversations sometimes, especially that one episode where they spend the whole time leaving messages for each other. Still, I guess it's not as bad as the season that they don't talk at all!

That is soooo cool when that happens! :roll: Hm, isn't Gidget on Shonali's Rory List? That would make sense now!

So it is! It's like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. :D

It's kind of a painful relationship to watch sometimes! And with most shows, there are a handful of episodes that I just can't figure out what the writers were trying to accomplish. But, the good episodes are ohhhh so excellent! :roll:

There aren't many pop culture references that I don't get, but I bet it would be cool for you guys not from here! Like you were part of some inside joke or something :D.

Oh man now I'm really in the mood for fries... :D

I get a bit sick of their phone conversations sometimes, especially that one episode where they spend the whole time leaving messages for each other. Still, I guess it's not as bad as the season that they don't talk at all!

I remember that episode, I was actually thinking about it when I wrote my last post. It was so annoying, them leaving messages and getting irritated because they couldn't catch each other. But you're right, the season where they didn't talk to each other was just awful. That was not coool! :lol:

So it is! It's like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. :roll:

I got this lovely sense of achievement when I made the connection and you confirmed it :D

There aren't many pop culture references that I don't get, but I bet it would be cool for you guys not from here! Like you were part of some inside joke or something :D.

Exactly, it's so rewarding to get what they're referring too and especially when one's not from the same country.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the cast enjoyed trying to work out the references themselves. I think it was a bit of a game. I usually just let the references I don't understand go straight over my head, but I have been inspired to look up a few.

I wish there were more extras with the DVDs. I always feel really cheated. I love watching outtakes, for example, and I reckon there would have been some great ones with this show considering the characters have to talk at such a fast pace!

Ooh, and I wanted to mention a sweet Luke moment from a recent episode. Lorelai and Rory went shopping and had roses with them as a joke. When they went to Luke's afterwards, Lorelai gave him her rose and just as he was about to walk off camera, he lifted the rose and smelt it. So sweet. *swoon*

I got this lovely sense of achievement when I made the connection and you confirmed it :roll:

Indeed! Thanks for reminding me the book was on the list. Do you have it memorised or something because I always have to refer back to it. You're amazing!

Aw, Luke just bought those self-help tapes about finding love and he's talking to them in his usual grumpy way. This has happened after Lorelai pretended he was her boyfriend to get rid of some unwanted attention.

OK, I really shouldn't be on BCF while I'm watching GG or I'm just going to keep giving a blow-by-blow description of what's happening. :D

Awww Luke! He's such a cutie :roll:.

Kylie, do you have the big box set they put out a couple years ago? It reminds me of a Barbie case because it's white and puffy and has a handle on top :D. I just wondered if with that complete series set they added more extras? I love seeing outtakes though, I think those are my fave kinds of extras to watch, and I can see how all those guys would be hilarious!

No, I couldn't wait until then so I bought each season as it was released. It was great too, because the TV station that was airing it here was so far behind that the last couple of seasons were released on DVD long before they aired on TV. That meant I got to watch, I think, the last one and a half seasons in brand new, without having to wait in between. Imagine receiving 24 (or whatever) episodes of GG that you've never seen before. Heaven!

I might have to do some research and find out whether or not there were more extras. I'll be annoyed if there is!

I love watching the outtakes for Ricky Gervais' The Office and Extras. There is a man who has a lot of trouble keeping a straight face. I get stitches laughing from watching him laughing!

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the cast enjoyed trying to work out the references themselves. I think it was a bit of a game. I usually just let the references I don't understand go straight over my head, but I have been inspired to look up a few.

That must've been fun for them! They must've had so much fun working together... I feel so jealouus :roll:

Ooh, and I wanted to mention a sweet Luke moment from a recent episode. Lorelai and Rory went shopping and had roses with them as a joke. When they went to Luke's afterwards, Lorelai gave him her rose and just as he was about to walk off camera, he lifted the rose and smelt it. So sweet. *swoon*

That's so sweet!! I love the Luke moments. Remember when Lorelai got him a new baseball cap? If I remember correctly he switched to wearing that and always did (until they broke up? And then when they were on their way of making up he started wearing it again).

Indeed! Thanks for reminding me the book was on the list. Do you have it memorised or something because I always have to refer back to it. You're amazing!

No I do NOT remember the whole list, are you kidding me?! :D It's huge! I just remembered this one because I thought it was a funny title, it sounded like 'gadget' and I had no idea if 'gidget' is a real word or not. So it just happened to stick on my mind :(

Aw, Luke just bought those self-help tapes about finding love and he's talking to them in his usual grumpy way. This has happened after Lorelai pretended he was her boyfriend to get rid of some unwanted attention.

That was so funny with the self-help tapes :lol: But apparently he actually learned something from them. And it was so funny when Jess found them and mocked him! And when Lorelai happened to see the self-help book in Jess's backpack and talked about it to Luke and laughed at Jess. It was so funny when Luke started defending Jess and the books, something Lorelai did not see coming :D

OK, I really shouldn't be on BCF while I'm watching GG or I'm just going to keep giving a blow-by-blow description of what's happening. :D

I don't mind in the least ^^

In the movie named Gidget, the main character, whose names is Frances, is given the nickname of Gidget because it's a mixutre of 'girl' and 'midget' (she's a little on the short side). :D

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that out. Doesn't sound like too nice of a nickname... :D:roll:

I bought the Gilmore Girls season 1 DVD set yesterday, and I'm currently watching episode 4. Lorelai's just met Max Medina. It was so funny when she was late for the parent-teacher meeting and she bumped into a globe and she tried to make fun of the situation, knocked the globe a few times and said "what in the world?". Nobody laughed :D

Am I getting old if I don't dislike Max Medina as much as I used to? It's freaking me out.

:hug: I'm not sure it's a case of getting old, Frankie, since I'm older and dislike Max as much as I did the first time I watched these episodes!

I just watched the first season though not long ago and I always laugh at her 'what in the world' comment. Those Chilton parents obviously have no sense of humor! :smile2: I always get a kick of of the neighbors, Babs and Morrie. They are so cute together! :D

Well maybe my soul and mind are getting older, and are not disgusted by him that much any more :smile2: He would offer comfort and stability, and he is on the smart witty side, at least, if not much else. Maybe it's because I know there are more awful candidates awaiting, in the future, for Lorelai... I do hate the complications they have, him being Rory's teacher, and I hate the fact that he seems a bit pushy later on, when Lorelai's having second thoughts on the whole thing, but right now he seems nice enough.

The other parents at the Chilton certainly could learn a little from Lorelai, it wouldn't damage their credibility to laugh a little, at times... That must be very hard though when one does not have a sense of humour... :D

I was planning reading this whole weekend but how can I do that now that I've just recently purchased the first season??

Sorry for double-posting you guys, but I am just watching Rory's birthday episode, the party's now started at Lorelai and Rory's house and Sookie's just told Lorelai that they're out of ice.

I have to ask you, what's with the ice? Everytime I see a party in an American tv-series they're always buying these huge bags of ice and it seems like they can't trow a party without it. Is this something I'm only imagining or is it essential in the US?

Luke's about to walk in, to save the ice situation :D Grrrr!

Edit: Richard's sitting on the sofa on the porch, all alone. Rory brought him a magazine. "It's no Wall Street Journal but there's a quizz in there that determines whether you're a summer or a fall." Richard looked intrigued :smile2: I just love Richard and Rory's relationship <3

Edit 2: I love it how Emily could tell that Luke's into Lorelai, and she started teasing her about him and noticed that Lorelai was pleased. "You're pleased that the ice man looked at you like a porterhouse steak." :hug:

Edited by frankie

Sorry for double-posting you guys, but I am just watching Rory's birthday episode, the party's now started at Lorelai and Rory's house and Sookie's just told Lorelai that they're out of ice.

I have to ask you, what's with the ice? Everytime I see a party in an American tv-series they're always buying these huge bags of ice and it seems like they can't trow a party without it. Is this something I'm only imagining or is it essential in the US?

Luke's about to walk in, to save the ice situation :D Grrrr!

No, you're not imagining it, we do use loads of ice at parties for drinks and such. :smile2:

Grrr at Luke? Don't you like him?