Gilmore Girls

frankie

:) Kylie yep, the same thing every year, and it's not like she waits for her to wake up on her own, she comes in and starts telling the story! Thanks peacefield for clearing the Madden term, google definitely didn't have anything on it so I & Kylie would've been left in the dark without you :D

And yep, Dean really didn't do anything bad, I think he's always been really gentlemanlike and dependable, so Lorelai's reaction was really unnecessary I think. Although of course Lorelai had no idea of the goodness of Dean because she didn't know him... :lol: I guess she's a bit overprotective that way, because of her own early engagements in the arts of teenage intercourse leading to nonplanned pregnancy... :):lol:

Edit: Almost forgot. Great thing the original movie isn't so freaky, I definitely want to watch it now! It's a childrens book and movie, why would they want to make the 2000 century Charlie Chocolatee so freaky and scary :(

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love and War and Snow (S1, Ep8)

Synopsis (taken from tv.com):

It's snowing, and Lorelai is giddy. She runs into Max in Stars Hollow, and invites him back to her place. But they run into someone unexpected when they get there. Lane feels left-out of Rory's life.

Trivia:

Harry, the town mayor, chairs the town meeting in this episode and also appears in "A Tisket-A Tasket". However, for the rest of the series he does not chair the meetings, Taylor does. Also, when Jackson runs against Taylor to get control in season four, their election is for town selectman. There is no mayor.

Quotes:

Lorelai: (asking about the weather) Hey, how is it out there?

Michel: It is cold and gray, like a fat, dead pigeon.

Michel: You do know that not everyone finds the idea of being pelted with frozen water appealing.

Lorelai: I know, and how sad for them.

Michel: The thrilling sensation of getting lost in a blizzard, of freezing to death in the woods and having to eat your friend's buttocks to stay alive: that is lost on many people.

Emily: (talking to Lorelai over the phone) Have you seen the news?

Lorelai: Ever?

Emily: A bad storm is heading your way. It's already hitting us here.

Lorelai: Well, don't panic. I'll get the ark, you get the animals.

Lorelai: Michel, it's the first snowfall of the season. It's very lucky! Make a wish!

Michel: Get away from me.

Lorelai: Oh, you're not supposed to say it out loud.

(Michel answers the phone.)

Lorelai: (to herself) The world changes when it snows. It's quiet. Everything softens.

Michel: It's your mother.

Lorelai: And then the rain comes.

Luke: Twelve guys stood in a row all night waiting for an enemy that never showed. They got stood up. They should've been wearing prom dresses.

Luke: Tradition is a trap. It allows people to stick their head in the sand. Everything in the past was so quaint, so charming. Times were simpler. Kids didn't have sex. Neighbors knew each other. It's a freaking fairy tale. Things sucked then too. It just sucked without indoor plumbing.

Taylor: Well, excuse me, Andrew, but some of us have businesses to run that don't involve peddling drug paraphernalia to kids.

Andrew: It was a lava lamp, Taylor.

Taylor: There is no use for a lava lamp unless you're on drugs.

Book references:

Jane Austen

Charlotte Bronte

Hunter Thompson

Me too! (Hence me including all those quotes of his.) He really cracks me up. I don't think he ever has a 'dud' line. They are all gems! :lol:

And I love Luke when he gets really angry about something. I recently watched the ep in season 2 where he decides to find a new, bigger place for himself and Jess. The dialogue between them is terrific. I'll post the quotes when I get to that episode. :lol: <sigh> The actors have such great chemistry on the show, don't they? I guess that's part of why it works so well.

It's that hit combination of great script and a great cast that act it so well. When you feel you could actually drive into Stars Hollow and stop off at the diner, you realise how good they are truly doing! :lol:

I have to remind myself sometimes that the actress who plays Emily is just acting - and boy what a great job she does of it - I regularly loathe her!

:lol: Yes, she really is difficult to like sometimes! Although there are a couple of instances where she's nice to Lorelai and it's really touching. It almost makes up for the rest of it.

If I had a dollar for every time I've fervently wished that Stars Hollow and all its inhabitants were real...!

I think that they get the balance right with Emily.

We are most often on Lorelai's side, and can understand her rebellion and the distance she prefers to keep from her parent's world.

Every once in a while however you see why Emily can be the way she is, you see her hurt and vulnerable side, and you wince as Lorelai delivers her witty retort. Just every so often this happens, but enough to remind us that Emily is not just 'the baddie' of the show, but a whole person with hopes, dreams, expectations and disappointments.

Every once in a while however you see why Emily can be the way she is, you see her hurt and vulnerable side, and you wince as Lorelai delivers her witty retort. Just every so often this happens, but enough to remind us that Emily is not just 'the baddie' of the show, but a whole person with hopes, dreams, expectations and disappointments.

Well put. ;)

Although there are a couple of times when I've really, really disliked Emily. One time was when Lorelai told her that she was getting married and Emily responded with something like 'I hope we'll be in town that weekend'. Fair enough that she was hurt, but that is such a terrible response to give to your only child when she tells you she's getting married.

And later, when Lorelai was really upset about it, Emily turned it around to be completely Lorelai's fault, and Lorelai ended up apologising and being made to feel in the wrong. Maybe she was, to an extent, but I always felt that Emily was really in the wrong there.

I think there's at least one more instance like that, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Rory's Dance (S1, Ep9)

After being pressured by her grandmother into "making the most of her high school experiences," super-shy Rory reluctantly decides to attend a Chilton formal--her very first dance--with Dean. Emily is on hand the night of the big event to see Rory off, but she ends up staying all evening to take care of Lorelai, who is suffering from back problems. All seems to be going beautifully as Rory and Dean discuss the next step for their relationship, and Emily and Lorelai enjoy some rare bonding time back at home, but a major blow-up is about to erupt when Dean and Rory make an unwise decision after leaving the dance.

Trivia:

This is the second time Emily and Lorelai have gotten along only to have a falling out due to something Rory has done or said. The first time was at Rory's birthday party when Rory refused to speak to the guests at her party.

This is the only episode where Emily directly tells Lorelai what a good job she did raising Rory. For that matter, Emily and Lorelai had certain bonding moments in this episode that were never repeated. This is the only episode in the series where Lorelai calls Emily, "Mommy".

At over 49:00 before final credits, this is the longest running Gilmore girls episode.

Quotes:

Emily: (on the phone) No, I won't be coming home tonight.

(Lorelai groans)

Emily: (speaking to Lorelai) Was that a pain?

Lorelai: Yes, a big one.

Emily: (about Dean) What do you know about this boy?

Lorelai: Well, I know Rory likes him, and his parole officer has high hopes for his rehabilitation.

Emily: Does he drink?

Lorelai: Like a fish!

Emily: (about the mashed banana on toast) I used to make this all the time for you when you were a little girl.

Lorelai: You did?

Emily: Yes! Whenever you got sick, I made this.

Lorelai: Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?

Lorelai: Mom?

Emily: Yeah?

Lorelai: I made the dress.

Emily: You did a nice job.

Lorelai: Thanks.

Emily: With Rory and the dress.

Lorelai: Thank you. (I love this scene! ;))

Book references:

The Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker and Brendan Gill

The Group by Mary McCarthy

I'm so glad Chrissy! I wish I was watching it at the moment ;) I'm going to put off watching a few eps until I catch up on the summaries here, and then I'll keep track as I watch them.

Edited by Kylie

Forgiveness and Stuff (S1, Ep10)

Things are still chilly between Rory and Lorelai; Lane gives Rory advice about the right Christmas gift for Dean; Emily and Lorelai have a tiff about Christmas dinner, leaving Rory to go by herself; Dean and Lorelai patch things up; Luke makes a lonely Lorelai a Santa burger (aww...:lurker:); Richard collapses and is rushed to the hospital; Luke gives a car-less Lorelai a ride to the hospital; relieved that Richard's collapse was only a bout of angina, the Gilmores settle their differences.

Trivia:

In this episode, Emily asks Luke if he and Lorelai are dating. Luke tells her they are just friends. Emily then responds that they are both "idiots," implying she thinks there is an attraction between them and they should be together. However, in future episodes (notably, "That Damn Donna Reed" and "Come Home") Emily is extremely unhappy with the Luke/Lorelai match.

In the final scene, Lorelai gives Luke a Christmas gift--a blue hat that he ends up wearing for the rest of the series, symbolic of his feelings for her since the very beginning. (Awww...;))

At one point in this episode while Rory is at her grandparents' house, Lorelai goes into the kitchen and eats a salad out of the bag. Yet, in several other episodes, especially while they are at Luke's, Rory and Lorelai reiterate how much they hate vegetables and green things. (I always thought this was very odd too! :))

Quotes:

Luke: Just tell me you forbid her to see the bag boy.

Lorelai: I did not forbid her to see the bag boy.

Luke: Are you crazy?

Lorelai: Well, he looks like he's moving up to produce, so he's suddenly become quite a catch.

Luke: That kid is trouble.

Lane: Remember two years ago, I got my mom that perfume? Okay, to me that said, "Hey Mom, you work hard, you deserve something fancy." Now, to my mother it said, "Hey Mom, here's some smelly sex juice -- the kind I use to lure boys with." And resulted in me being sent to Bible camp all summer.

Emily: (almost in tears) Richard Gilmore, there may be many things happening in this hospital tonight, but your dying is not one of them. I did not sign on to your dying, and it is not going to happen. Not tonight, not for a very long time. In fact, I demand to go first. Do I make myself clear?

Richard: (tenderly) Yes, Emily. You may go first.

Rory: What about the apple tarts? You wait all year for those apple tarts!

Lorelai: I can live without the apple tarts.

Rory: You've made up songs after eating five of them with lyrics that contradict that last statement.

Emily: So what is exactly going on between the two of you?

Luke: Nothing. Really. We’re friends, that’s it.

Emily: You’re idiots—the both of you.

Lorelai: You don't look so good.

Luke: Thanks.

Lorelai: That's not what I meant, you know you always look good.

Luke: Yeah?

Lorelai: I meant you always look healthy...

Luke: Okay.

Lorelai: But you don't look so healthy now. Now you look...

Luke: Unhealthy.

Lorelai: Yes.

Luke: Okay...

Lorelai: Oh what? So I said you look good. We're not in 5th grade! 'You look good', big deal...stop staring at me.

Lorelai: (to Luke after he made her a Santa-Burger) No one has ever made me something quite this disgusting before. I thank you.

Book references:

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (Rory's gift to Dean)

Paris is Burning (S1, Ep11)

As Lorelai and Max grow closer, Rory begins to get attached to the idea of Max in their lives, which worries Lorelai. Sookie and Lorelai have a frank discussion about relationships. Lorelai tries to ease out of her relationship with Max during Parent's Day at Chilton, but ends up passionately kissing him in his classroom just as Paris walks by. Stung by the details in the newspapers about her parents' messy divorce, Paris tells everyone in the lunchroom about Max and Lorelai to deflect gossip away from her and towards Rory. Rory confronts Paris, gets an apology, and offers a sympathetic ear, which is grudgingly accepted. Sookie asks Jackson out on a date and he accepts.

Trivia:

In the opening scene, Luke is seen in the background petting a dog at the pet fair. However, in later episodes, we learn that Luke hates dogs.

Quotes:

(Lorelai pulls a box of pizza out of the fridge and looks at it.)

Rory: What?

Lorelai: This is the pizza from mystery Tuesday, that one's perfectly fine.... (looks at the pizza she accidentally threw out)

Rory: Don't.

Lorelai: It's in the box.

Rory: Oscar.

Lorelai: Felix!

Sookie: A zucchini tush?

Jackson: Just a temporary name.

Sookie: You want me to serve my customers a genetically engineered vegetable that's named after a butt?

Rory: You know what it means when a man loans you a book don't you?

Lorelai: That he's already read it?

Rory: Yep.

Lorelai: She's never really referred to anyone I've dated by their first name, before, I've always kept her out of that part of my life, so, it was like the 'mustache guy' , the 'earring guy', the ... (struggles) 'peg-leg guy'...

Max: Oh, so you've a thing for pirates...?

(After Rory tells Paris that she did also hurt Mr. Medina when she told everybody about the kiss)

Paris: I do like Mr. Medina.

Rory: Well I'd take some dance lessons because the way you express yourself needs a little work.

(After Emily confronts Lorelai about kissing Max at Rory's school)

Lorelai: It was a mistake.

Emily: A mistake? A mistake? Is that what you call it, a mistake?

Lorelai: Well, I tried calling it 'Al', but it would only answer to 'mistake.'

Rory: Buttercup is a special dog. She's extremely skittish and tends to react badly towards blonde haired females, brunette males, children of either sex, other animals, red clothing, cabbage or anyone in a uniform.

(Luke walks up to them.)

Lorelai: (to Luke) Hey, we just found the doggy version of you.

Book references:

Swann's Way by Marcel Proust

Mr. Medina's Recommendations:

Dante

Shakespeare

Homer

Walt Whitman

Double Date (S1, Ep12)

After Lorelai encourages Sookie to ask out Jackson, she finds herself on the double date from hell with Jackson's cousin, Rune, which makes Luke jealous enough to finally work up the courage to ask Lorelai out. Meanwhile, Rory and Lane get into trouble when they double date with Dean and his friend Todd without telling their moms.

Trivia:

While she's looking at Jackson and Sookie having their first date, Lorelai tells Luke that she'll wear blue at their wedding. In "I Can't Get Started" (season 2), the episode where Sookie and Jackson get married, she actually wears blue.

This is the first time that Luke makes an effort to ask Lorelai out. (So close! :motz:)

Quotes:

Lorelai: You know, I had a good time the other night, with the cards.

Luke: Oh yeah, yeah. Me too.

Lorelai: Good.

Luke: Yeah, if fact you rushed out of here before I had a chance to...

Lorelai: A chance to...?

Luke: Kick your ass in poker.

Lorelai: (taken aback) You wish.

Luke: Burger?

Lorelai: Two and fries.

Luke: Maybe we could do it again sometime.

Lorelai: Oh yeah, well, I... I would like that.

Lorelai: You know, it doesn't always work to just lock a kid up and throw away the key.

Mrs. Kim: I didn't throw away the key, it's in the kitchen.

Lorelai: (surprised by the answer) Ok, well, I was talking symbolically...but alright, I'm with you now.

Rune: (about Lorelai) I can't believe you set me up with that! What, was the bearded lady busy tonight or something?

Book references:

The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath by Sylvia Plath

Kylie's comments:

I hate the character of Rune! What the hell was wrong with him, thinking that he was getting a bum deal by dating someone as beautiful as Lorelai?! It was so weird!

Edited by Kylie

Concert Interruptus (S1, Ep13)

Lorelai organizes the Stars Hollow Charity Rummage Sale, which leads her to learn some details about Luke's romantic past. Meanwhile, Lorelai, Sookie, Rory, Paris, Madeline and Louise attend a Bangles concert in New York, which leads to Lorelai busting Madeline and Louise at an older boy's party.

Trivia:

Up until this episode, Alexis Bledel didn't know who the Bangles were.

In this episode, Paris comments that she does not eat dairy when Lorelai asks about the girls eating pizza. But in Season 7, in the episode "Hay Bale Maze", Paris is very upset about Logan drinking her milk.

Quotes:

Louise: (about Lorelai) I can't imagine having a baby at 16.

Paris: Well then keep your knees shut.

Lorelai: Hey, you didn't wake me up!

Rory: I set the clock.

Lorelai: Yes, but see the clock stops ringing when you throw it against the wall, giving me ample time to fall back asleep. You, however never stop yapping no matter how hard I throw you, thus ensuring the wake up process.

Lorelai: Who wants cheese?

Rory: Are there crackers?

Lorelai: Somewhere in the state of Connecticut, yes, there are crackers.

Rory: And in the Gilmore house?

Lorelai: Who wants cheese?

Kylie's comments:

I love this episode. I quite like The Bangles, so the special appearance was nice. I feel as though a lot was packed into this episode and maybe the charity sale could have worked better in a separate episode because there was already so much going on. Finally Rory is making some progress in making friends with Paris and co! :motz:

Kylie's comments:

I hate the character of Rune! What the hell was wrong with him, thinking that he was getting a bum deal by dating someone as beautiful as Lorelai?! It was so weird!

Yeah but come on, like, ewwww!! She's so... tall... and perky... ewwww. What was Jackson thinking setting up Rune the Normal Studness of Studs with a skinny King Kong?

:motz:

In this episode, Paris comments that she does not eat dairy when Lorelai asks about the girls eating pizza. But in Season 7, in the episode "Hay Bale Maze", Paris is very upset about Logan drinking her milk.

I'm sure I saw this episode recently (they have just finished the entire re showing :motz:). It may have been 'funny' milks that she was complaining about, by that I mean lactose intolerant type ones. I'll have to check now!

Yeah but come on, like, ewwww!! She's so... tall... and perky... ewwww. What was Jackson thinking setting up Rune the Normal Studness of Studs with a skinny King Kong?

:D

:D Nice descriptions!

• 2 weeks later...

That Damn Donna Read (S1, Ep14)

An evening of "The Donna Reed Show" reruns infects Dean and both Gilmore Girls -- Dean expresses a longing for the type of family represented by the show, Lorelai helps Luke spruce up the diner with a fresh paint job and new curtains, and Rory dresses up like Donna and fixes a 1950s style dinner for Dean while petsitting Babette's new kitten; when the baby chick that's the subject of Rory's midterm project gets loose in the house, Lorelai frantically calls Luke to help her search the house; both Sookie and Emily force Lorelai to confront her feelings for Luke; Christopher roars into town on his motorcycle, and agrees to stay at Lorelai's and Rory's during his visit.

Trivia:

In this episode, Luke and Lorelai almost kiss. (Eeee! :D)

When Lorelai and Rory are in the kitchen talking about how Rory almost never spends nights without Lorelai, Rory asks what she's going to do when she goes away to college. Lorelai says she'll sleep in Rory's dorm, on the floor, next to Rory's bed. That's exactly what happened on Rory's first night at her university.

This episode marks the first appearance of Christopher, Lorelai's ex and Rory's father.

Quotes:

Emily: This man was at Rory's birthday party, he came to the hospital with you, he's the male lead in every story you tell, you go to the diner every single day. I've seen the way he looks at you, the way you look at him. I'm not a fool.

Lorelai: Mom, please.

Emily: Why do you treat me like I don't have a clue in the world as to what is going on in your life? Now I'm asking you, as a favor, if you have any respect for me at all as your mother, just tell me. Do you have feelings for this man?

Lorelai: I don't know. Maybe I do. I haven't given it much thought. Maybe I do.

Emily: Thank you. I'm glad you were finally honest with me. Now we can discuss what on earth you could possibly be thinking. Don't forget the ice.

Sookie: Well, you call someone and say "Can you come over and help me look for my loose chick"...it's a little...

Lorelai: A little what?

Sookie: Sounds a little like code for "I'm not wearing any underwear".

(Richard and Emily have finally managed to secure a place on Martha's Vineyard)

Emily: The two of you must come up for the weekend. It is so lovely. Rory would just love it.

Rory: (speaking to Lorelai) Can we go for a weekend?

Lorelai: We'll see how much Valium Auntie Sookie can lend Mommy, OK?

Kylie's comments:

Another terrific episode. I love how close Luke and Lorelai got to kissing in the diner when Taylor and friends were peering in through the door. :irked:

And Rory was so cute when she dressed up as Donna Read, and then got caught by Lorelai :D

• 3 months later...

No action on here since Kylie's last post in August :D We have to revive this thing! (Kylie did you stop watching the show or were we too passive for you? :D )

Well that's not exactly why I came here, but I was thinking that as Christmas is soon upon us, I'd like to do something very homey-feeling on the hols and was thinking that a very good option would be to watch Gilmore Girls in a marathon kinda way (I spelled it 'marathong' before I noticed my mistake :smile2:). You would think that it would mean watching the show from the start (which isn't a bad idea at all!), but since I haven't seen the last 2-3 seasons more than once, I was thinking I could start with season five. I have to say the last three aren't my most favorite seasons because there was no Jess action going on, but okay there were quite a few Luke things to make it all better if you know what I mean and I know you do ;)

Edited by frankie
typos

It was probably partly lack of comments, but mostly because I stopped rewatching the eps (:smile2:) and I'm just too darn lazy! But it has always been at the back of my mind to start it up again.

Goodness me, I just checked and I only got about halfway through S1!

I might start watching them again soon and I'll try to time it so we're watching the same seasons at the same time. I think I was up to S3 so it won't take me long to catch up. Once I start watching eps I find it very hard to stop! :D

Well I hope you don't think that we didn't appreciate your comments because I always read them and I was so happy about this thread and I'm sure others were as well :D

Hm, you're saying that you only got about halfway through season 1, but then you said that you were up to season 3? Do you mean that your rewatching took you to halfway of the first season but you've only seen Gilmore Girls til season 3?

The more I think about it, the more I want to start from the get go. So it wouldn't actually take me long to get where you're at right now :smile2:

Thanks Frankie :D

Sorry, I meant that I was only halfway through S1 with my posting the plot info (on 13 August I posted Ep 14).

In watching the series, I think I must be around halfway through S3...OK, I just checked and I'm up to Ep 16 of S3. I now know what I'll be doing this weekend. :smile2:

Thanks Frankie :D

Sorry, I meant that I was only halfway through S1 with my posting the plot info (on 13 August I posted Ep 14).

In watching the series, I think I must be around halfway through S3...OK, I just checked and I'm up to Ep 16 of S3. I now know what I'll be doing this weekend. ;)

Oh okay now I understand what you meant ;) I did think it was weird if it was really true that you haven't watched the series til the end. :smile2:

Oh how I wish they'd make another season! With

Lorelai being happily with Luke again, and Rory somehow meeting Jessie again and having an "no I won't but Oh I must because I love you let's do it" thing :D

I really liked Jess when he came back in a later season and

convinced Rory to go back to Yale

. And also when she visited him in Philadelphia.

I think of Dean, Jess and Logan, Jess was definitely the better choice for her.