Gilmore Girls

frankie

I've been wondering for some time now why there isn't a thread on Gilmore Girls on this forum because the show always seems to create somewhat lengthy off topic discussion everytime the show's mentioned ;) I think it was Lucybird who suggested someone should create a thread for the series and since no one has done it yet I thought I might as well do it myself. So welcome ladies and gents to rant on Lorelai's choice of men and well, the same thing with Rory, actually. Other Gilmore Girls related topics are welcome as well :D

For a start, I am curious to know if there are members of BCF who are doing the Rory's Book List as a challenge? I have the list written down and I'd like to get all of those books read at some point but I have no deadline for it or anything. Also the books are kind of hard to find here where I live, there are no copies in the library of half of the books on the list and I'm not sure whether it's worth it to order them online.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I could tackle Rory's book list...I always thought they the books she mentioned were quite often the type I would struggle with. When it comes to books though I love Rory's room, I want a chest draws full of books!

Initially I also thought the books Rory read would be difficult but so far I haven't had any problems with the one's I've read (haven't read that many yet, though). A lot of the books are classics which I would love to read anyway so it's kinda like reading one book, crossing off a name from two different TBR lists :D There are also names like The Time Traveler's Wife, which may be difficult to get into at first (because of all the leaping in time and whatnot, I haven't actually read it yet) but I don't consider it a difficult book otherwise.

By the way, Rory wasn't the only literary person in the show. I remember Emily reading The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber and raving about it. She used the word 'prostitute' and some very positive adjective in the same sentence and I got interested :D So I've added that book to my TBR as well ;)

Yes, Rory's collection of book was fabulous and she had an interesting way to store her books! Only, when you said a chest drawer Lucybird I immediately had this scene from GG playing in my head: Rory and Lorelai are home from their interrail trip in Europe and Rory's going to her room, being glad that there are finally some clean clothes to wear, and she starts hugging her shirts that are hanging in her closet. She ushers her mother out of the room, Lorelai knows what she's about to do and asks if she should close the door behind her. After the door's closed, Rory opens the chest drawer, takes a look at her clean collection of socks and says: Hello boys. :D So funny!!

Thanks for starting the thread, Frankie! Ironically, I just found it while I was watching Gilmore Girls. I'm watching the episode form S1 where Richard ends up in the hospital. And Luke to the rescue again! ;)

I have a copy of Rory's book list and I've marked off which ones I've read. I haven't made it into an actual challenge yet, but I'm considering it :D

Poor Richard, that was really scary to watch :D Dear old Luke, bless him :D What's amazing about the show is that all the characters seem so real and complex and they grow on you. Richard is one of those people who seemed impossible in the beginning, all he seemed to be interested in was his business. When Emily suggested he should try to bond with Rory and take her to the golf club he was almost furious and dead against it. They got to a rocky start but once he gave Rory a chance and they got to talking he found out what an incredible girl Rory is. From that point on Richard becomes a more active person in the show and we find out that he is actually a rather witty person.

Oh now I feel like watching the series again from the start. ;):D

We should all watch Gilmore Girls together (well, at the same time as each other) and discuss each episode. ;) I'm now watching the next ep and Max has suddenly reappeared. I haven't seen him for several episodes and almost forgot he was around!

I did love The Time Traveller's Wife, I tend to have problems with classics though.

I agree about Richard, at first he does just seem business obsessed but he's actualy quite witty and funny and generally nice.

Kylie, that's not a bad idea at all ;) I have a couple of seasons on VHS but I don't use my VCR anymore and I hate hooking up things again so I'd really like to get all of the Gilmore Girls seasons on DVD. That's been a dream of mine for years now but I never do anything about it... :D By the way, even my BF loves the show! He'd heard many good things about the Girls and when we started going out and he found out I was watching it too he decided it was about time to discover what it's all about.

Kylie, Max is going to be there for a while ... He's so clingy and needy. I mean I understand why he likes Lorelai, I just wish he'd realise that he doesn't have what it takes. He's not Luke for starters!

Richard is really funny and nice, but I like the fact that he's man enough to stand up to Emily every now and again! He really gives new perspective on things. (And don't get me wrong, I love Emily but she has her downsides. I've noticed that the older I get and the more I watch the show, the more I understand where she's coming from. I think her and Lorelai's relationship is one of the juiciest and most interesting aspects of the show!)

What I like about the series with regard to Emily and Lorelai's relationship is that you grow to understand why it is the way it is, and why there continues to be tensions between them. They have such a different world view and neither is right all of the time although I think like most of us, I tend to lean toward Lorelai.

Regarding Rory's book list - I had never really thought of that! What a terrific idea!

Yay, Frankie for starting this thread!! Thank you ;).

I only have the first season but I would still be happy to discuss any season's episode's since I've seen them so many times, save for the final season, which I've only seen through once. I had no idea there was a book list of Rory's around, so I will hunt it down and have a look!

I do like that first season's episode when Richard ends up in the hospital. Luke is so funny, not being able to look at any sick person without feeling faint himself. And ugh, don't get me started on Max. Yuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though we can't all watch the show together, I was thinking of posting my thoughts about each episode as I watch it, as well as any other bits of trivia or quotes that I like, and then everyone can join in (if you want to :smile2:) with your own thoughts. I'm almost at the end of Season 1 now, but I'll go back to the beginning with the Pilot:

Synopsis (taken from tv.com)

After Rory is accepted to the prestigious Chilton Preparatory School, Lorelai is forced to go to her wealthy parents for financial assistance. Her parents happily loan their daughter the money in exchange for an end to the estrangement and a family dinner every Friday night. Unfortunately, things hit a snag when a cute new transfer student flirts with Rory, leading the younger Gilmore to wonder whether leaving Stars Hollow High is really what she wants.

Trivia:

Luke's Diner looks completely different in the pilot episode. It seems smaller and darker. The pilot was also filmed in Ontario, Canada.

Luke's character was originally going to be a woman (that may have changed the whole outlook of the show somewhat!) but it was decided that there were already too many female characters. Then they decided to give him a bigger part when they saw the chemistry between Luke and Lorelai.

The woman who played Drella (the harp player) in the first four episodes was originally given the role of Sookie, but she had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.

Book references:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Jack Kerouac, Leo Tolstoy and Stephen King are also mentioned.

I was going to have a section for quotes, but there are just so many I don't know where to begin! I might post some from time to time. :D

Even though we can't all watch the show together, I was thinking of posting my thoughts about each episode as I watch it, as well as any other bits of trivia or quotes that I like, and then everyone can join in (if you want to :006:) with your own thoughts.

A most welcome idea, Kylie! :lol: Funny coincidence you should do this now, I've been thinking about this thread for the last couple of days. Sort of like, "I'd like to discuss the show, but what new could I really say, because I haven't been watching any episodes now and I don't have any news on it or anything".

Trivia:

Luke's Diner looks completely different in the pilot episode. It seems smaller and darker. The pilot was also filmed in Ontario, Canada.

A couple of years ago when I rewatched the pilot the first time I was gobsmacked to see the Diner. It was like, was it this way before and it burnt down and then came the real Diner as we all know it? Or what the heck?? Then I just realised that Pilots are always a bit weird and might have odd quirks because it's just a test to see if the show's good enough. It was really weird though.

What was the most different thing on the Pilot compared to the 'real thing' (after the Diner!) was the scene with Lorelai and Sookie in the kitchen of the Inn. Usually Lorelai is really worried about Sookie hurting herself or others in the kitchen and makes her be more careful but in this scene there was something that was off. I cannot remember what it was, I think it was something like Lorelai didn't even really noticed the mishap in the kitchen but was only keen on tasting the new thing Sookie had made up. I hope someone knows what I'm trying to say.

What what, in Ontario? :D

Luke's character was originally going to be a woman (that may have changed the whole outlook of the show somewhat!) but it was decided that there were already too many female characters. Then they decided to give him a bigger part when they saw the chemistry between Luke and Lorelai.

:smile2: For real?? I definitely didn't know that. It would've been totally different! Half of the show's attraction would've been missed had they gone the original way!! I can't even imagine what it would be like. Lorelai might have ended up with Digger?? *shakes head and then entire body in disgust*

Ewwww Digger. He was even worse than Max!

I remember seeing that first version of Luke's Diner and how different it was. It didn't even have a corner door, did it? And remember those young guys that were hitting on both Lorelei and Rory? Can you imagine a GG without Luke though? What a scary thought.

Where can I find Rory's book list? I had no idea there was a book list... :)

I love, love, love Gilmore Girls. I don't have cable anymore, though, so I'm quite a few seasons behind *grumble*. Who was that very cute, moody guy who was related to Luke and sort of dated Rory? I quite liked him, but his name eludes me, now.

• The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

• A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

• Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

• Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

• Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

• Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov

• The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

• David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

• The Lottery: And Other Stories by Shirley Jackson

• Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

• One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

• Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia De Burgos by Julia De Burgos

• The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

• Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

• Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

• The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

• Night by Elie Wiesel

• The Code of the Woosters by P. G. Wodehouse

• Hamlet by William Shakespeare

• Complete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

• Beloved by Toni Morrison

• A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

• A Separate Peace by John Knowles

• Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

• Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

• The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

• The Awakening by Kate Chopin

• Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

• Time and Again by Jack Finney

• Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

• The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

• Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

• Sybil by Flora Schreiber

• Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

• Cousin Bette by Honore De Balzac

• Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

• Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

• The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

• The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

• Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

• Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

• 1984 by George Orwell

• The Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker

• The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

• An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser

• Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

• Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

• Lord of the Flies by William Golding

• The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

• The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

• The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

• The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner

• The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

• Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

• Emma by Jane Austen

• On The Road by Jack Kerouac

• The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Nine read, most of the others added to the TBR pile (thank you Chrissy)!

A general few points on GG:

I never liked Dean (too... normal?), am re-discovering my hatred of Logan (he may have a nice smile, but he's one annoyingly priviledged yet self-proclaimedly anti-establishment little so-and-so), and always desperately wished that Rori and Jesse would get together in the end but everyone who's seen the end can join me in my wailing and bemoaning.

By the end he'd smoothed out all the things that made him a git, improved on all the qualities that made me and everyone else like him in the first place, in short blossomed into complete perfection... and she turns him down. Silly, silly, silly woman. Oh, and apply that to the whole "I'm quitting Yale" nonsense last week... what was all that about??

I just love

Lorelei and Luke. I haven't seen all of the last series so I don't know if they last or not, I so hope they do... they're so perfect for each other *awww*!

Favourite character ever is Emily

(except when she's trying to break the above up)

, although Paris is usually the one to make me laugh and the long-haired guitarist from Laine's band is charmingly odd. And I must say I loved Laine's mum for what she said to her last week:

"No more band? You are not the daughter I raised. The Kims never give up!!"

Chrissy's list is the right one but I counted only 60 novels? Here's the whole list. Quite lengthy :) Scarlette, I think you were referring to Jess?

Bookjumper: I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said about Logan and Jess. EVERYTHING. I disagree with Dean, though. I think he was excellent boyfriend material and he would've been so good to Rory, but I agree that she needed something more and because of that they couldn't have made it in the end. He was a bit too needy at times, and the jealousy got pretty awful at times. I mean sure, maybe he had every reason to be jealous but acting out on it the way he did does not improve matters.

Edited by frankie

Jess! Yes, that was his name. Thanks to those who mentioned him. I loved Jess. :)

Dean was much too good to be true... Good boyfriend material, maybe, but not good husband material... if anyone remembers that particular storyline...

I wasn't impressed with any of Rory's other boyfriends. For such a smart girl, she really has questionable taste in men...

I loved Jess too, but kept accidentally calling him Peter because I watched Heroes first. I kinda liked Logan but I think that is because I saw him from when Dean and Rory broke up, he was nicer then that before

Am I the only one on Team Marty??!! I loved that kid, and Rory never saw him as more than a friend, unfortunately.

Otherwise I completely agree with what's been said about Jess and Logan. Ugh, I can't even type Logan's name without shuddering, LOL.

BookJumper, are you talking about Sebastian Bach, the guitarist in Laine's band? The former hair-metal frontman for Skid Row? He was hilarious in GG! If that's who you're talking about that is :).

What was the most different thing on the Pilot compared to the 'real thing' (after the Diner!) was the scene with Lorelai and Sookie in the kitchen of the Inn.

I think I know what you mean. There's a scene where Sookie is being very clumsy and then Lorelai walks in talking away (about Chilton, I think) and not noticing a thing. She does show some concern though, when she tells Sookie she needs to be more careful if they're going to open their own inn one day.

:) For real?? I definitely didn't know that. It would've been totally different! Half of the show's attraction would've been missed had they gone the original way!! I can't even imagine what it would be like. Lorelai might have ended up with Digger?? *shakes head and then entire body in disgust*

No! Surely not! It does make you wonder though, where the show would have gone, and whether it would have been anywhere near as good.

I remember seeing that first version of Luke's Diner and how different it was. It didn't even have a corner door, did it? And remember those young guys that were hitting on both Lorelei and Rory?

That's right. I don't think the Diner was on the corner at all. I'm so glad they changed it!

Yes, one guy tried to hit on Lorelai and then when her back was turned, he tried to hit on Rory, who said to him 'are you going to be my new Daddy?' :D

Chrissy, whereabouts did you find your list? I seem to find different versions all over the place and it's hard to know which one is most correct.

I remember reading that Rory once said she'd read all of the books in Oprah's Book Club, which I suspect accounts for a lot of the books on the more lengthy lists.

Does anyone else find it weird that Rory would follow Oprah's Book Club so religiously? She doesn't strike me as that type of person (the type to follow Oprah, or the type to follow what someone else is reading).