On travel writing

Freewheeling Andy

One of my favourite writing forms is the travelog, the travel book, the writing about a journey. Not a guide book - frankly, there's little interest for me in reading lists of 40 different hotels or 80 restaurants to fit all budgets. But the book which chronicles someone's interesting travels.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one on these boards, but I think it's a lovely form, because it often combines a lot of fascinating elements.

To me, my favourite travel writing involves an author who is travelling through an area he is fond of, but not overly fond of. When I read a book that feels entirely cynical, when the book is basically unremittingly negative (The Lost Kingdoms Of Africa by Jeffrey Tayler is a good example) it just gets very wearing. There's no joy or pleasure to be had.

But equally, a book that's all praise, that struggles to see fault anywhere, is almost as bad.

In addition, I think the best travel writing has to have some levity, and brightness and humour about it. Whether it's Eric Newby or Paul Theroux, and no matter how grim the scene, it's always better to read these books with a sense of humour.

But also, for me, the best travel books have to have a few things, and this is why I like the idiom. There should be history, anecdotal and substantial, about the region being travelled through, so you as the reader come out as if you've been given a history lesson without any of the pain. There should also be some stuff about the difficulty of travel - but not too much; an entire book of "I was waiting at the embassy for a visa" is very tiresome. Even a book that's entirely "I was being thrown around in fear of my life in the back of a Toyota truck with 7 other men carrying AK47s as we zoomed across the desert" gets a bit samey. But I want some of that.

I want some local colour, too. Visits with local people, descriptions of markets or run-down buildings or grand architecture or fantastic scenery.

And, also, I want a destination, a goal - it gives a book a narrative drive. It may be entirely artificial "I travelled to Oxiana to see the great architecture", etc, is entirely unnecessary, but it means you're following someone from a start to a destination.

I think that narrative is what makes this into my favourite form of non-fiction. It has a degree of novelisation about it.

But I love the mix of history and travel and politics and current affairs (even if they're the current affairs of the early 30s, if you're reading Patrick Leigh Fermor, say) and local life. It's a great form.

But what annoys me sometimes is when there's just too much flowery descriptive language taking the place of the substance. I really felt that when reading In Siberia by Colin Thubron; because there's basically no history, few people, and he was travelling fairly randomly, there was no narrative and also no substance which had to be replaced by rambling descriptions of filligree light in the water blah blah blah.

Favourites?

A Time Of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor: his first part of his epic walk in 1932 from Hoek of Holland to Constantinpole. Very moving.

A Short Walk In The Hindu Kush by Eric Newby; Bizarre tale of someone deciding to climb a giant mountain in Afghanistan with no mountaineering experience. Very funny in places.

In Xanadu by William Dalrymple, as a Cambridge student trying to recreate Marco Polo's journey as well as he could in a summer vacation. Breakneck and a bit mad - probably not his best writing (From The Holy Mountain is probably better), but most entertaining.

Travels With Myself and Another by Martha Gellhorn: a collection of odd travel pieces from great reporter once married to Hemingway. All over the place.

The Road To Oxiana by Robert Byron: Effete 1930s Englishman trying to travel to northern Afghanistan to see the great architecture of the Mughals and Persians. A bit too architectury, but an absolute classic.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever read The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain? My boyfriend read it a few years back and it's based on Twain's travels and is supposed to be very entertaining.

My boyfriend particularly enjoyed the chapters in which the Innocents travel to the Middle East. I would recommend reading the rest! :readingtwo:

You are not alone!

I've read a couple Eric Newby, and have loved them both, and the others are sat on my shelf waiting patiently to be read at some point in the future.

William Dalrymple is also one of my favourites - I've got a thing about India, and can't go too long without reading a travel book or novel about the country, despite having no inclination to actually visit myself!

I like the entire spectrum from the serious to the comic, and some of my other favourites have been:

Tony Hawks - great fun

The River at the Centre of the World by Simon Winchester - although it took me ages to read it, it was a bit dry, but very interesting

Duende by Jason Webster - I loved this because of the flamenco aspect more than the travel, but it is found in the travel section of bookshops and I thought it was very well written, so I've also bought Andalus, which is now on my TBR list.

Honey and Dust by Piers Moore Ede - a good mix of history, nature, travel and apiculture in the book, as well as the personal emotional journey of recovery.

But what annoys me sometimes is when there's just too much flowery descriptive language taking the place of the substance. I really felt that when reading In Siberia by Colin Thubron; because there's basically no history, few people, and he was travelling fairly randomly, there was no narrative and also no substance which had to be replaced by rambling descriptions of filligree light in the water blah blah blah.

I tried to read Behind The Wall by Colin Thubron, but I didn't like his writing style and gave up after about 80 pages. I had the same problem that there were few people and rambling descriptions. He also was writing about China, but kept throwing French words and phrases into the text, which just seemed out of place and jarring.

Ah, I'm glad there's someone else who enjoys reading the Dalrymple stuff. I preferred the non-Indian books, to be honest, but that's because I've never had a great interest in Indian culture. Still, his writing is engrossing enough to make even those books very readable. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who struggled with Thubron - I've heard him praised in so many places I thought I was in a minority of one.

William Dalrymple, (From The Holy Mountain is probably better).

Ooh - I have that on my shelf. It's been on my TBR for an age. I've never read any travel writing (apart from half of Down Under by Bill Bryson which I enjoyed and really should have finished). I must read it soon - cursed TBR! Why will you never shrink?

I've only read fractions of Bryson stuff, mostly newspaper articles. Not any of the ful books. Those pieces are nice and light, but they do play a bit with cliches which begins to grate; and generally he's travelling round places that don't excite me greatly (the US and UK).

Actually, the only US travel writing that I've read that's really stuck in my mind is a fantastic book by Jonathan Raban called Old Glory, where he travels down the Mississippi from Minneapolis all the way to New Orleans in a small boat. It was written in the early 80s, and is spectacularly evocative; a mixture of Huck Finn combined with the desolation of rust-belt depression in cities like St Louis.

I have always wanted to read travel writing but have never known were to start so this thread has really helped me.

It's an interesting question - where to start with travel writing?

I'd think the first question you need to ask yourself is "what areas am I interested in?" Because although travel writing can make you interested in places you previously had never even thought about, I'm not sure that's the best entry point. The best entry point would surely be somewhere you like.

Then ask yourself: Do I want to read something substantial and classic, or do I want something light and breezy; and Do I want someone travelling in the last few years, so I get a picture of what it's like now, or do I want someone travelling decades ago, to give me a picture of a time I never knew?

If you're starting with light and breezy, and are interested in Japan, Will Ferguson's Hokkaido Highway Blues would be a great start.

If you want absolutely classic travel writing, and are interested in Central Europe in the 30s, Patrick Leigh Fermor's Time Of Gifts and Between the Woods and the Water would be brilliant for you.

It's an interesting question - where to start with travel writing?

I'd think the first question you need to ask yourself is "what areas am I interested in?" Because although travel writing can make you interested in places you previously had never even thought about, I'm not sure that's the best entry point. The best entry point would surely be somewhere you like.

Then ask yourself: Do I want to read something substantial and classic, or do I want something light and breezy; and Do I want someone travelling in the last few years, so I get a picture of what it's like now, or do I want someone travelling decades ago, to give me a picture of a time I never knew?

If you're starting with light and breezy, and are interested in Japan, Will Ferguson's Hokkaido Highway Blues would be a great start.

If you want absolutely classic travel writing, and are interested in Central Europe in the 30s, Patrick Leigh Fermor's Time Of Gifts and Between the Woods and the Water would be brilliant for you.

thank you so much, I think I will start with light and breezy to ease me in so will hunt out will Ferguson's Hokkaido Highway Blues.

thank you

Jo

I've only read fractions of Bryson stuff, mostly newspaper articles. Not any of the ful books. Those pieces are nice and light, but they do play a bit with cliches which begins to grate...

I've always found Bryson to be a bit smug.

I've read one or two. I loved Tony Hawk's Round Ireland With a Fridge and enjoyed McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

I've read several Brysons and have Down Under in my 'to read' pile.

It's a genre I'd definitely like to read more of - it's knowing which to pick - there are so many in Waterstone's!

Has anyone read anything by Nicholas Crane? My friend raves about him, but I've never actually got around to starting one of his books, and wondered if anyone else had read his books?

I've not read any of his books, but if it is the same Nicholas Crane as I think it is, I do have his Great British Journeys series on DVD, and he is very good in that (as he was in Coast as well).

I've not read any of his books, but if it is the same Nicholas Crane as I think it is, I do have his Great British Journeys series on DVD, and he is very good in that (as he was in Coast as well).

Yes, it is the same one. I have seen him on his own programme (Map Man a few years ago as well as Great British Journeys) as well as on Coast, and think he's a very interesting broadcasting, but I've just not had the inclination to pick up his books so far. I think I'll have to try one at some point.

Not long ago I finished Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari, which I really enjoyed. It's him revisiting an Africa he knew as a young man in the early 60s, and travelling the length of the continent overland. I found it insightful and interesting, but it did bring to mind this hilarious piece I read in Granta once, about how to write about Africa.

http://www.granta.com/Magazine/92/How-to-Write-about-Africa/Page-1

And now I'm reading Jan Morris's Venice, which isn't really Travel Writing, as such, but also isn't anything else. Again, like travel writing, it's about a foreign place, and a mix of reportage and history. But it is static. He/She (the only transgender travel writer around, no?) writes beautifully and evocatively, but is perhaps too much in love with the subject for the book to grab me as it might. I'll surely have more thoughts when I'm further in, though.

I've just started Andalus by Jason Webster. He blends the quest to find the history of the Moorish connections with Spain by combining his personal experiences with the facts and history of the region. An excellent book so far, but it seems to be going to fast!

I have always wanted to read travel writing but have never known were to start so this thread has really helped me.

Do you know I was going to post similar. I enjoy Bryson but have never really managed to attempt anything else. I regularly browse the shelves in shops picking up books in turn but never knowing which ones to settle on. Thanks for starting off a list for me!