5 minute chocolate mug cake

Kell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie, that sounds more like your oven is heating unevenly. I've never covered anything I bake with baking paper before cooking it, but if your oven heats unevenly that's definately something that would cause the top to burn before the rest is cooked. Have you got a fan assisted oven or a regular oven?

Hmm, thanks Ceinwenn. I've noticed in the past that my oven seems to heat unevenly. If I put in a batch of cookies, some will start getting burnt before others have cooked properly. It's just a regular oven. I don't like it much but can't really afford to buy another one at the moment. :readingtwo:

Thanks for the advice though. :D

I don't have a microwave by choice, as I remember my mother buying one when it was all in the fashion to have one, the first thing she did was to bake a cake, rubbery! And it's put me off ever since and I've not used microwave since that incident. I'm sure the oven has come a long way and has improved, but not for me thanks!

I will try out this recipe on a normal oven, using smaller cake tin, should be okay - I hope and pray!

Ok, might have to try this in the work microwave, lol.

Kylie, if you bake cakes, etc put them on the lowest rack possible in the oven & turn the pan/tin/sheet frequently also, turn your oven down some, I'd try it in about 5 degree increments.

• 2 weeks later...

I made one of the 5 minute chocolate mug cakes the other day and split it with my partner. We both thought it was pretty good! I think it would go well with ice-cream but we didn't have any in the house at the time (I've since rectified that little problem). Thanks for the recipe, Kell! I think I'll be making a few of these in the future! :smile2:

Kids are particularly impressed to get their very own cake-in-a-mug made specially for them in 5 minutes. Even better because they can help make it as it's so simple and quick! :smile2:

now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Never were truer words said! It was past midnight when I stumbled across this thread again, wondered why I'd never tried it out and thought "hey, I've got a microwave in here, why not do it now?".

30 mn later I'm happily digesting the choc cake I just treated myself with :smile2: It took barely longer than preparing a mug of hot chocolate :D

It was rather dry though, but I think I put too much dry ingredients... Are the tablespoons of flour, sugar and cocoa meant to be strict tablespoons, nothing overflowing? Or generously laden tablespoons?

Also, 3 full tablespoons of oil on top of the sugar sounds... Well, it's not the lightest recipe in the world is it? *laughs*

Anyway, great recipe Kell, thanks! And I'm sure we could develop lots of variants. After all tests and trials won't take long, will they? In an hour we could try up to 10 alternative recipes! *widest grin ever* chocolate chips without cocoa, dried raisins instead of the choc chips, plain with some jam in the middle...

Dale likes me to use Aero Mint choclate in his instead of cocoa and leave out the vanilla. :smile2: It makes for an interesting bubbly effect on the top of the cake too - LOL!

It was rather dry though, but I think I put too much dry ingredients... Are the tablespoons of flour, sugar and cocoa meant to be strict tablespoons, nothing overflowing? Or generously laden tablespoons?

Also, 3 full tablespoons of oil on top of the sugar sounds... Well, it's not the lightest recipe in the world is it? *laughs*

Anyway, great recipe Kell, thanks! And I'm sure we could develop lots of variants. After all tests and trials won't take long, will they? In an hour we could try up to 10 alternative recipes! *widest grin ever* chocolate chips without cocoa, dried raisins instead of the choc chips, plain with some jam in the middle...

I found mines dry too although it did taste fantastic and I would make it again so I was wondering about the tablespoon size too I went for slightly overflowing but may it should be a level tablespoon Will try that the next time.

I use barely rounded spoons and when I'm measuring the milk and oil, I let it dribble over just a touch, so it's not too dry and not too gloopy either. :smile2:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...