Kell

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

A small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT ! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake

at any time of the day or night!

I just tried this one out myself. I didn't have chocolate chips, so I did without, and I didn't have cocoa, so I used Aero hot chocolate, but it turned out lovely and moist without being soggy. Give it a try today and treat yourself!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made one this morning to have with my coffee. I had planned on saving half for Dale when he came home, but I couldn't resist - I'll whip him up his own later on after lunch - LOL!

Oh dear...I shouldn't have looked at this thread! :readingtwo:

Same here Nici the word choclate just jumped out at me.

Oh dear, oh deary deary me. Oh dear. ;)

Oh big bums to it all - I can lose weight some other time. :D

Chissy how you made me laugh

Chocolate mug cake here I come .... Yummy

It's OK - I'm on a healthy eating plan too, but this is OK as a treat once in a while, I'm sure. :readingtwo:

Incidentally, Dale enjoyed his cake and suggested making it with flavoured hot chocolate (i.e. mint or orange) for anice twist. :D

Well....if you cut out all of the sugar & used applesause instead, you'd make it significantly more healthy. (You'd need to cut your oil content by about 1/3) Also, if you use a very high quality cocao, like Green & Blacks & a very high quality oil, like grapeseed oil, or rapeseed oil (or, believe it or not, even extra virgin olive oil) you'd be getting very healthy fat. That would all but make that cake health food! Oh yeah, you'd have to leave out the chocolate chips, or even better, use carob!

I heard them make these on the Chris Evans show on Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago!

Want to know what your cake might look like? Check out the listeners photos here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/chris-evans/photos/cookalong/chocolate-mug-cake/listeners/

Great link chesilbeach! I liked Jan's and Trudi's. Oh and Hannah's blue one looked great! :readingtwo:

a very high quality oil, like grapeseed oil, or rapeseed oil (or, believe it or not, even extra virgin olive oil)

Excuse my ignorance, but it doesn't matter what type of oil you use when a recipe calls for oil, right? Because I made a banana cake the other day (well, attempted to make one) and I wasn't sure what type of oil to use. I think I used canola oil. Anyway, the cake was a mess. The top of it burnt very quickly in the oven but I think that was because I didn't cover it with baking paper or something. It wasn't the oil right? Because the inside of the cake seemed to be going OK.

Anway, thanks for the recipe Kell. I'll definitely be trying this one out. :readingtwo:

I didn't make one for Dale coming home today and his comment at lunch was, "Am I not getting a cake today then?" I said I could make him one if he wanted and he replied, "I'll have one later, please!"

I guess he likes them!

Excuse my ignorance, but it doesn't matter what type of oil you use when a recipe calls for oil, right? Because I made a banana cake the other day (well, attempted to make one) and I wasn't sure what type of oil to use. I think I used canola oil. Anyway, the cake was a mess. The top of it burnt very quickly in the oven but I think that was because I didn't cover it with baking paper or something. It wasn't the oil right? Because the inside of the cake seemed to be going OK.

Anway, thanks for the recipe Kell. I'll definitely be trying this one out. :readingtwo:

Kylie, that sounds more like your oven is heating unevenly. I've never covered anything I bake with baking paper before cooking it, but if your oven heats unevenly that's definately something that would cause the top to burn before the rest is cooked. Have you got a fan assisted oven or a regular oven?

The oil you use can make the world of difference to the way something turns out & to it's taste & also to the nutrient content of what you're making. I like grapeseed oil best because of it's taste & it has one of the highest flash-point of all the cooking oils. It is expensive, though! Unless you know someone who commercially does body oils, as that is commonly an oil that is used, then you could get them to buy you a really big container of it. I'd say use the most best quality (which with oil, in my experience is usually the most expensive) oil you can easily afford. Virgin or Extra Virgin Olive oil isn't that expensive, is an oil that's good for you & don't usually lend a taste to what you're cooking.

Kell, I now wish I had a microwave!