Jean Auel - Earth's Children

Michelle

Might it be time to start the chat about this series again?

I've just splashed out and bought the whole thing (at bargin prices!) so, very shortly, I'll be launching into it, again.

Having said that, I only read the first two years ago. The wait between books in a series often means that I forget to check when the next is out, so from book 3 onwards I'll be in completely fresh territory.

I must say I loved the two I did read, I found them fascinating, and even if the experts may disagree with some details, they're published as fiction, so I wouldn't be too offended about the odd gaff. It's the spirit of the series which is it's magic.  

As for the rest ... there are always exceptions to the rule, so who says it's impossible that a few people at that time hadn't tamed a horse enough to ride it? Who says women couldn't hunt? Maybe as a general rule these things didn't happen at the time, but Ayla was in a position where she had to feed and care for  herself, without the help of the Clan. She had to survive, and used her initiative to do it - that's how mankind developed from "there" to here" isn't it?

I hope some of you will join myself and Ayla in our adventures - come back and chat about it, if you do. :smile:      

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really loved the first 2 books of the series, and read them several times. But the later books went downhill (though The Mammoth Hunters was ok) and I haven't even bothered with the last one. If I recall correctly, it got absolutely slated especially by long-time fans of the series.

• 1 month later...

It's always difficult with a series isn't it? Our expectations keep growing and then we're so disappointed if one doesn't "hit the spot" for us  :smile:

I'm making my way slowly through the series, leaving it aside for a refreshing few other  :readingtwo: 's between. Then I enjoy changing pace back to Ayla and her doings, again.

What about giving the last book another try in a while? It might "read" differently a second time - ?

Happy reading weekend to All.   

I just recently discovered this series.  I've only finished the first one so far, but I loved it.  I didn't think I would, wasn't interested in that sort of period, but it was great.  Hopefully I'll eventually read the rest of them, but it might take a while. They're pretty popular at our library.

bookmonkey - I enjoyed the series and recommend the "whole series" as a read. As mentioned by others (and myself) the last book was a disappointment, however, the series as a whole was very good and many of the books were excellent. As for accuracy, I think it contains a lot of historical information with much fiction written in. The fact that it may contain some incorrect historical information doesn't bother me at all. Most books are fiction.

You are actually lucky as you don't have to wait between reads for the next book to be written and released. I remember waiting, and waiting, and waiting, between books for the next to be written and released and was always joyful when one of the books was completed and released.

• 2 weeks later...

That's promising then Kidsmum.  I just finished the second one.  Didn't think it was as good as the first one.

No i found it a bit slow going & only really got into it in the last quarter of the book but the third one i found to be as much of a page turner as the first  :smile:

• 1 month later...

The Land of Painted Caves ruined the entire series for me. It was just awful.  It read as though she really couldn't be bothered to write it.

The story line followed the same path as TMH and the actions of the characters did not fit with there personal development throughout the series.  It made no sense!

Such a shame . . . .

Reading it now, about 40% done. The middle is dragging a bit, but glad to hear from Kidsmum that it picks up near the end.  I like books that have chapters that end and make me want to begin the next chapter immediately!

Edited by Anna Begins

• 1 year later...