Jean Auel - Earth's Children

Michelle

A couple of years ago I discovered Jean M Auel's Earth Children series, starting with Clan of the Cave Bear. Everyone I spoke to afterwards raved about these books, but some one today said that they weren't very keen.

So, who's read them, and what did you think?

I think she has a wonderful imagination, and I was able to get right into these ancient worlds. My first criticism was that the sex descriptions were a little too much. Yes, it was important to see how different things were for her with Jondalar, but most could have left to my imagination!

Secondly, by the end of the series, Ayla seemed to be just a little too perfect.. I really wanted to see some flaws!

Anyhow, I've just read the first two books again, and am in the middle of the third, so I will revisit this topic if anything else comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice - I have read them all and have even visit some of the sight in the book which are set in south of France and Jordan. Did you know that? Some years ago the geographic museum had a exhibition regarding it all and there were even a talk about a film but I am not to sure about that[/img]

• 5 months later...
Good choice - I have read them all and have even visit some of the sight in the book which are set in south of France and Jordan. Did you know that? Some years ago the geographic museum had a exhibition regarding it all and there were even a talk about a film but I am not to sure about that[/img]

Clan of the Cave Bear was made into a film with Daryl Hannah in the lead role (Ayla) in 1986 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090848/. I have seen it but can't remember what I thought of it now!

I read a few of the books in the series, but got fed up waiting for the next one to come along. The first one was definitely my favourite overall.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've read all the books and i am a big fan but i've always wondered how you pronounce Auel?

The mammoth hunters and the shelters of stone are my 2 favourites and i think it's fascinating how much effort she puts into describing the crafts such as leather dyeing and beading as well as the herbology. I guess it's not surprising that she writes those scenes of passion with Jondlar with equal gusto lol.....Oh well, only another seven years till the next one comes out.

I read Clan of the Cave Bear as it was on the BBC Big Read list. I really enjoyed it, but they are all such hefty tomes!

I always assumed Auel was pronounced like ALL, thats how most people seem to say it in the library as well.

I've always pronounced it more like 'owl'.. but then I'm often wrong! hehe

Me too. Pronounciation and being wrong.

I really liked all of her books in the series. I hope though it does not take as long to write the next book as it did the last. My favorites were "Clan Of The Cave Bear" and Valley of the Horses". My least favorite was Shelters of Stone.

• 7 months later...

What a brilliant series of books!

Begining with Clan of the Cave Bear, this series has to be my most favourite books of all time!

They are very different to any books i have ever read as they are set in the Ice Age but they kept me turning the page and all my friends who i have lent the books to have agreed with me!

Jean Auel has put in an huge amount of research into these books and i am eagerly awaiting book number 6! :lol:

My favourite book was The Valley of the Horses as i loved the relationship forming between Ayla and Jondalar. But the whole series had me hooked and i read all five books in a row solidly!

Does anyone know when number six is due to be finished?

Edited by Michelle

I read all the books in a row as well Nici. I discovered The Clan of The Cave Bear just before I went on holiday one year and then I was so pleased to find a shop, whilst on holiday, which had the others. At first I just bought the next two, but then I had to go back and buy 4th and 5th one before coming home.

I still have them all because I did not feel I could part with them. It is a while since I read them so another look at them may be in order.

Has Jean Auel started writing another book?:lol:

I hope that #6 doesn't take as long as #5 did, but yes, there is supposed to be a #6.

My faorite was Valley Of The Horses but book #1 was a close second. It was nice reading in the Horses how Ayla survived by herself. Since this thread was resurrected I went back and looked at a few of the books. I may try reading them again.....if I ever finish The Stand by King. :lol:

• 3 years later...

It is always best to read them in sequence when you can, as that way you get continuity. From what I recall there are some important things that happen in book 4. I read them all when they first came out, and have re-read them a few times since, most recently about a year and half ago.

I studied human origins for a year myself via Birkbeck, and have to say that the books are very well researched. Although technically fiction, paleoanthropologists now believe that much of the things that happen in those books is likely to have actually occured - needles for example appear at roughly the time that Ayla invented hers, and so on. The Venus figurines discovered in Eastern Europe are sufficiently well known for most people to be aware of as is the cave art found in sites such as Lascaux and Altamira.

I love these books, though I haven't read all of them, usually I get bored by, what the fourth book or something? Yes, I checked, always get stuck in the Plains of Passage. Has been years since I tried though, and these days I would probably read them in original English, might be better since I always have the feeling something gets lost in translation. :smile2:

I've now finished Shelters of Stone (see previous post), now I shall read Plains of Passage and try to fill in the missing bits! A few comments I have... there are FAR TOO MANY characters... trying to remember who was who was difficult, also there is a lot of repetition as once again: Ayla demonstrates her firestones; describes how she trains the animals; Ayla and Jondalar have amazing sex... I could go on!

• 7 months later...

This is going to be released in March next year, and is indeed the final book. It looks as if I'll be able to get an early review edition, and I'm in touch with the publisher, so stay tuned for news, a review, and possibly a competition. :D

I'm actually quite excited about it, but I may well have to go back and speed read through the previous 5 books!