Notebookholics Anonymous

BookJumper

Hi. My name is Giulia, and I'm a notebookholic.

Yesterday, disgruntled that the uni library closed upon my arrival to retrieve some pretty vital books, I wandered into the Book Warehouse on the way home to cheer myself up and I picked up two, count them two, splendid Picadilly Notebooks - a huge one with Leonardo sketches on the cover and a smaller one depicting a spooky tree. That rockets the count of my notebooks waiting to be filled to... bah, zillions.

How about you writers out there? Is it just me, or when you see a prettily bound collection of virgin leaves it just needs to be yours, even though you probably won't set pen to it for ages because of all the others you already own?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in. And I'm not even a writer :D I used to buy so many notebooks especially when I was younger and did actually write something from time to time but I "grew up" and became rationalized and boring and unimaginative, stopped writing and stopped buying notebooks - almost totally. But sometimes I cannot help buying one, just because they are so pretty, inviting and seductive. :)

Count me in. And I'm not even a writer :D

Lol me too!

I love notebooks and have loads of them! Robbie accused me of behaving like a 5 year old last week as I got a pretty Tinkerbell one. Well it was all sparkly and stuff. :)

Oh I love notebooks! I got some beautiful ones for Christmas too but they have remained empty as I don't have that something special to put in them. However I have started using one to write out my favourite recipes in, I just have to try to make my writing nice and neat so as not to spoil the book. Unfortunately I type faster and neater than I write these days :)

Oh I love notebooks! I got some beautiful ones for Christmas too but they have remained empty as I don't have that something special to put in them. However I have started using one to write out my favourite recipes in, I just have to try to make my writing nice and neat so as not to spoil the book.

I feel the exact same need!! However, because I'm too impatient to write slowly and nicely, I either ruin the books by writing fast and throw them in the bin or forget about them completely or don't write in them at all. Which is sooo stupid!! Stupid literal obsessive perfectionism!

Unfortunately I type faster and neater than I write these days :)

And why do you think that is...? :D

I'm more like Frankie. was constantly buyin them as a kid but not I find resisting a bit easier! I still would love a moleskin notebook though...and I often see pretty ones I want. I have so many already half filled.

I feel the exact same need!! However, because I'm too impatient to write slowly and nicely, I either ruin the books by writing fast and throw them in the bin or forget about them completely or don't write in them at all. Which is sooo stupid!! Stupid literal obsessive perfectionism!

Exactly!! Its such hard work being a perfectionist :D

And why do you think that is...? :)

Me?? I have no idea what you're talking about :)

Oh I love notebooks! I got some beautiful ones for Christmas too but they have remained empty as I don't have that something special to put in them. However I have started using one to write out my favourite recipes in, I just have to try to make my writing nice and neat so as not to spoil the book. Unfortunately I type faster and neater than I write these days :)

I was thinking of getting one to do that with, easier than riffling through a load of different cookbooks (or in my case printing them off the computer again and again because they get stuff spilllt on them)...and means you can put your own ones too

I was thinking of getting one to do that with, easier than riffling through a load of different cookbooks (or in my case printing them off the computer again and again because they get stuff spilllt on them)...and means you can put your own ones too

I do that all the time too! I also customise recipes a lot so I can rewrite them just the way I like them :)

I'm another serial collecter of pretty notebooks - I have HEAPS of them and I very rarely write in any of them - I just keep them - LOL!

(PS I've moved the thread to the general chat section as it's not specifically about writing.)

(PS I've moved the thread to the general chat section as it's not specifically about writing.)

Sorry about that, I believed notebookholicism was a specifically authorial ailment. I see I was mistaken... :)!

Sorry about that, I believed notebookholicism was a specifically authorial ailment. I see I was mistaken... :)!

Well it just might be that all of us non-writers, notebook hoarders are secretly, subconsciously aspiring authors... :D

I bought a couple of notebooks recently - one of mine has a Leonardo drawing on it too, Bookjumper! I haven't written in either of the notebooks though. They're so lovely and I don't want to ruin them with my writing! :):D I'm still trying to talk myself into using them.

The smallest of the new ones I'm using to neatly transcribe my short stories ideas off the dreary black nonetbook I always carry in my bag due to its amazing slimness - that way the new one gets used, and I don't feel guilty about crisscrossing angry arrows all over the old one.

As for the huge Leonardo one, it's asking me to write my memoirs in it. Jeizus, I'm not even 24 years old...

Unfortunately there is a Paperchase in the Borders bookshop I sometimes stop at and that is very tempting to stock up with nice stuff.

oh yes Paperchase tempts me too! I quite often go to the Starbucks in Borders so I can look at the books (unless it's only on offer in Borders though I usually buy in Waterstones) on the way and can never resist looking in Paperchase too, there is one in Selfridges too so they're pretty hard to avoid

I have a tremendously bizarre thing about stationary. I write songs, mostly, and this involves the use of a hardcover (note: hardcover) notebook to scribble my lyrics down as and when they arrive in my addled brain.

So when I see one I like, I buy it. And a new pen.

I see notebooks.

A bit like Haley Joel Osment.

But with, like, notebooks.

Maybe I should see a psychologist. But not a dead one. :readingtwo:

Oh I love buying new pens too! I used to have every colour of gel pen when I was younger. It's odd actually because I always use the same type of pen, and that doesn't come in pretty versions

Well, notebooks don't do it for me, but I do understand what you're all going on about because I definately am that way with paper. I love pretty paper & have loads of it! The last time I was in Seattle my friend took me to this beautiful stationery shop & I spent $100 on paper! (and a few matching envelopes). It's a complusion!

Unfortunately there is a Paperchase in the Borders

London, Oxford St by any chance? I am very well aware of their evil, tempting ways. They even have a mini-one inside Euston station... there's no escape from the prettifulness!!

Unfortunately there is a Paperchase in the Borders bookshop I sometimes stop at and that is very tempting to stock up with nice stuff.

I have heard of Paperchase, I believe there is a new one opened in Belfast. I have so far managed to stay out of it :readingtwo:

The last time I was in Seattle my friend took me to this beautiful stationery shop & I spent $100 on paper! (and a few matching envelopes). It's a complusion!

What kind of paper costs that much ??!

I'm also one of those notebook lovers. Except I've learnt that I never do anything with them so I don't really buy them anymore.