Readwine's Wrist Weights

Readwine

Wrist Weights I have Read

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (ps. 1488)

Labyrinth by Kate Moss (ps. 528)

By Rosamund Pilcher:

The Shell Seekers (ps. 582)

Winter Solstice (ps. 504)

September (ps. 613)

Coming Home (ps. 977)

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (ps. 624)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (ps. 576)

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie (ps. 560)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (ps. 578)

The Shinning by Stephen King (ps. 528)

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (ps. 582)

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (ps. 544)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (ps. 576)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (ps. 560)

The Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver (ps. 656)

The Sleeping Doll by Jeffrey Deaver (ps.608)

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (ps. 560)

Wrist Weights to be Read

Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra (ps. 947)

The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz (ps. 1360)

Edited by Readwine

Hi Readwine - are these books you've already read, or one's you're planning to read in the future?

I've read a few of them, with A Suitable Boy being my favourite on your list, and it started my interest in books set in India. A Fine Balance is excellent, although a tough read at times, but rewarding. For me, Labyrinth was a great holiday/beach read, a great page turner, but I didn't get on with Half of a Yellow Sun very well, and found it quite irritating and unsatisfying.

Lots of people have recommended The Poisonwood Bible to me, but I'm not sure it's really my cup of tea, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. :D

Chesilbeach, the above is a list of the "doorstoppers" that I have read and that I can think of hand. I often get on a theme kick (i.e. India kick or Africa kick etc.) I loved Half of a Yellow Sun as I was in the mood for it especially after listening to an interview of Adichie.

The Poisonwood Bible was recommended to me by an art director of a New Mexico Museum, but I really did not pay too much attention to it as I thought it might be too religious for me. Silly me. Several months later (during an Africa kick), I picked it up and WOW! I absolutely loved it and could not put it down. It is written from several points of view which I thought might be too disruptive, but the way Kingsolver wrote it, this technique really works. I highly recommend it.

Are you an Ian McEwan fan? Above all, he is my most favourite writer. I am speaking stylistically. He absolutely writes the most beautiful prose. His subjects, however, are so, so dark I sometimes have trouble getting through his books. Oh well, can't have it all.

I know what you mean about the theme thing - I'm a series person as well. Find a new series, and I'll just read that to the exclusion of everything else, given the chance!

I think I'm going to have to give The Poisonwood Bible ago at some point, as everyone who's read it seems to recommend it, so thanks for your comments.

I'm not a McEwan fan at all. I'm a fan of the place on the south coast of England, and had been using it as my screen name for a while when I heard Mr McEwan was going to be using it as the title of his book. I've only read Saturday by him, which I didn't enjoy much, and hasn't induced me to want to read any more of his, but never say never, so I might try another one at some point.

Chesil Beach is certainly a beautiful part of England. It is on my To Visit List. The best McEwan novel for me has been Atonement - not his usual dark material.

I absolutely love your Marx's quote. I have 6 adoptees :)

What kind of series do you prefer to read? Any recommends?